Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Modern American Gold Eagles: Do you collect MS or Proof?

And why?

Comments

• Options
    meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    Proof , they are the one that come with the 95W SAE...
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    I collect the 1/10th $5 MS in PCGS.
    I also collect the proof 1/4 $10 in PCGS.
    Why? Why not.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    Let me rephrase....If you have a preference between MS and Proof, why do you have that preference?
  • Options
    dimplesdimples Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    Since they weren't made for ciculation I prefer the proof version which look fantastic with their mirror finish
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect both.

I dunno. I just get one or two of everything the Mint spews out. Figure I might miss something. image
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Proofs, but I don't have much interest. I started a PCGS Registry set, but only have about 40% before I lost interest.

All you need is one.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    I like 'em both. Some have very low mintages. image
  • Options
    Well, I'm a new collector and after putting together 4 sets of ASE's, gold has caught my eye. I've never purchased a gold coin before, and they definitely appeal to me.

I've got two thought patterns: Purchase proof coins for the short-term, but purchase the MS coins if I plan to hold on to them for 25+ years.

Am I off-base in my way of thinking?
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    By the way, there are some neat new registry sets up for eagles. See the news.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neither …

I could be buying the 1/10 ounce coins every year, but collecting the 1 ounce coins would eat too much of my coin budget. I’ve got one of everything for type in both Proof and Unc., but nothing beyond that.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭

I dont collect either.....

Time for some URBAN renewal, MEYER style............... image

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    I prefer Darkside gold. The designs are amazing.
    Becky
  • Options

<< <i>I dont collect either.....

Time for some URBAN renewal, MEYER style............... image

TorinoCobra71 >>

Indeed, we should spring a "Leak" this fall!!!

Go Gators!!!
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I don't collect either graded. I could see the proofs but come on the bullion coins aren't all that. So you think graded bullions coins are low mintage, what do you feel about the common silver coins with simular or lower mintages that were released to banks? I just don't understand this grading of bullion coins but it's good for the TPG and the mint.

BTW I do have a Dasco set but I'm unwilling to pay stupid money to get them graded. Just filling an album but I don't expect them to be worth a whole lot it's just a hobby.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file