Home U.S. Coin Forum

1995 W 10th Anniversary Set - 2 Boxes question

I have a question regarding my 1995 W Anniversary Set with the Silver Eagle, which I purchased new from the US Mint. The original set was sent in a small burgandy box with a note enclosed stating the velvet Presentation Box was not yet available and would be shipped at a later date. Indeed, the presentation box did arrive a few weeks later.

My question is how the additional box would affect the value of the set. I would guess the fact that the Presentation Box was not yet available would place my set in the very early run of the mintage. I have researched this but found nothing else listed. My 1995 W Silver Eagle has not been professionally graded, but appears a high-grade deep cameo example.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• I'm not sure of the value on that particular set but, anytime you have original boxes, letters (documentation) it raises the price down the road.
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I'm not sure about the boxes, but the 1995-W SAE proof is worth thousands of dollars.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    Nice and Welcome Cgc916,

I think you are correct. My 95 W has been examined by many and it gets a 69DCAM each time. Some say 70, who know I don't care, I love it all the same. Thats cool that you are the original owner. Love that provinance!

Dan

On a similiar thought I have a set of 36 Columbias' that have the original paper work with them I love them even though they got a MS 63.

I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!
  • meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    I'm not sure about the boxes, but the 1995-W SAE proof is worth thousands of dollars.

They are trending between 2.8k and 4K right now.

Dan
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    This set has jumped in price from $4000.00 to over $5000.00 in the past 6 months. I believe it will continue to climb. The SAE now goes for over $4000.00 alone.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This set has jumped in price from $4000.00 to over $5000.00 in the past 6 months. I believe it will continue to climb. The SAE now goes for over $4000.00 alone. >>

Does anyone understand the concept of rising for a fall? ... Perhaps a BIG FALL

The mintage on the 1995-W Proof silver eagle was 30,125, and most all of those coins still exist, in pretty much the same condition as when they left the mint.

30,125 coins is one hell of a high mintage image for a coin that you say is worth more than $4,000. ESPECIALLY when most all of the mintage STILL EXISTS.

I'd be concerned about getting involved with this, but hey, I'm just a modern basher. image BUT that are lots of classic coins with mintages that small and survival rates that are much lower that don't sell for as much. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard.
    Tempus fugit.
  • ClausUrchClausUrch Posts: 1,278
    I agree with Bill.

The 5$ gold Jackie Robinson MS with a mintage of just over 5,100 is trading at roughly $2,400. these days while the 1996 Silver 1$ Olympic Commemoratives with mintages far less than the 1995-W are trading for around the $300. to $350. range. If I had a 1995-W Eagle and could get $4,000. for it, it would be gone!
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The BIG thing that the 1995-W has going for it is that there are MANY collectors who are maintaining complete sets of silver eagles, far more than the number who are keeping up with the modern commemorative coins.

STILL, $4 grand is a lot of money for a coin with a mintage of 30 thousand + and a surviving population like that ...
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file