Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is it like during a market crash?

I haven't been around long enough to see one and I am wondering what it is like.Are there any coins that do good during a crash?Also are there a lot of dealers that default?

Comments

• Options
    solidsolid Posts: 2,975
    Shhhhhh, we don't talk about that around here! image

Ken
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even during a crash, the keys and classic early copper seemed to do OK. Although in 1989 Gray sheet bid levels for many coins fell by up to 80%, the value of chain cents, for example fell by only a small amount. Also, during a period of declining values, a lot of coins stay in strong hands and don't trade or become otherwise available. In today's bull market, many choice and rare coins are coming out of the woodwork in auctions.
  • Options
    When the crash comes, This summer or 2015 I will buy buy buy. Think of the Opportunityimage
    Michael
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    People sit around whining "Man, why didn't we appreciate the good ol days of aught 5, instead of sitting around whining?"
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    I'm sure you are all concerned about the future of the major auction houses or the price of a 1913 nickel. I'm not. So let's ask how this will affect the average collector. Since I've been through more than one I'll give you some of my memories.

First you will see the major buying dry up. This will happen rather fast. Oh, you will hear this is a great "buying opportunity" a small "correction" but the major holders will see it for what it is, everyone is stocked to the hilt and start dumping fast. All within a month. If you are buying you will quickly run out of money and still find bargains galore.

Coins you go to sell to dealers will be met with " not on my list this month", or "check back next week" while they ask if you if need anything.

You won't hear all the negative quite like you see the current hype, no talk of collapse because everyone wants to remain positive while they sell fast. Correction or slow period will be the labels. In 3 months most coins will be selling at 20% below sheet before the sheet even starts to show the downtrend. The idea that the "nicer" coins will still sell is bull as most dealers will be scrambling for cash to pay debts and bills. Remember most are in debt with adjustable mortgages to finance thier inventories and they will be looking to liquidate. No one wants to be holding the "Old Maid"

(Month 3-6)When the "speculators" see whats happening they will begin to dump coins faster than dot-com stock. A little bargain hunting will find coins available at 50% of thier old highs. AS dealers and coin shops dump much more inventory will pour on the market but there will be few buyers. Sales will still take place mainly in the coins less than a grand with few buyers for anything but the ultra rare over that. Coins that were thought to be rare will be available by bulk in the 5 figure range and dropping. You won't believe that all those "major rairities" existed. Then the hi end stuff will level at about 30% of current values and stay there fro 3-7 years in so. All in less than 8 months.
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm sure you are all concerned about the future of the major auction houses or the price of a 1913 nickel. I'm not. So let's ask how this will affect the average collector. Since I've been through more than one I'll give you some of my memories.

First you will see the major buying dry up. This will happen rather fast. Oh, you will hear this is a great "buying opportunity" a small "correction" but the major holders will see it for what it is, everyone is stocked to the hilt and start dumping fast. All within a month. If you are buying you will quickly run out of money and still find bargains galore.

Coins you go to sell to dealers will be met with " not on my list this month", or "check back next week" while they ask if you if need anything.

You won't hear all the negative quite like you see the current hype, no talk of collapse because everyone wants to remain positive while they sell fast. Correction or slow period will be the labels. In 3 months most coins will be selling at 20% below sheet before the sheet even starts to show the downtrend. The idea that the "nicer" coins will still sell is bull as most dealers will be scrambling for cash to pay debts and bills. Remember most are in debt with adjustable mortgages to finance thier inventories and they will be looking to liquidate. No one wants to be holding the "Old Maid"

(Month 3-6)When the "speculators" see whats happening they will begin to dump coins faster than dot-com stock. A little bargain hunting will find coins available at 50% of thier old highs. AS dealers and coin shops dump much more inventory will pour on the market but there will be few buyers. Sales will still take place mainly in the coins less than a grand with few buyers for anything but the ultra rare over that. Coins that were thought to be rare will be available by bulk in the 5 figure range and dropping. You won't believe that all those "major rairities" existed. Then the hi end stuff will level at about 30% of current values and stay there fro 3-7 years in so. All in less than 8 months. >>

I do not subscribe to this scenario, not that I can claim to predict the future.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The liquidity of the coins in your collection (should you wish to sell) will decline. This usually happens very quickly.
    "Good" material will disappear from the market as dealers and collectors alike try to dump their second-rate coins.
    Even "trading" becomes difficult as dealers only want cash. Pricing guides will be way behind the market in reporting changes.

The worst declines in my collecting memory were:
    1964-5 - The end of the greatest "general public" collecting boom ever. This is sometimes called the "roll and bag" bust but it actually affected even key dates.

1982 - Wild speculation in "investment" grade coins came to a screeching halt. The rampant overgrading that characterized the preceeding boom eventually led to the creation of the third party graders.

1989 - The Reagan years boom went bust with a bang as others have commented on. Huge declines in coin values...many have never recovered even to this day.

200? - It's coming soon. If you think dealers are your friends you are going to get a rude awakening. Stay active in the market selling coins for cash so you don't get blindsided. If you are actively selling you will be able to quickly sense when liquidity drops though by the time you notice this it will probably be too late. (It will be interesting to see how eBay affects this decline since it was not around during the previous drops.) My own prediction is that problems in the mortgage market will be what sets off the decline as big money housing speculators in markets such as Florida go "upside down" in their loans and are forced to sell assets.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm sure you are all concerned about the future of the major auction houses or the price of a 1913 nickel. I'm not. So let's ask how this will affect the average collector. Since I've been through more than one I'll give you some of my memories.

(Month 3-6)When the "speculators" see whats happening they will begin to dump coins faster than dot-com stock. A little bargain hunting will find coins available at 50% of thier old highs. AS dealers and coin shops dump much more inventory will pour on the market but there will be few buyers. Sales will still take place mainly in the coins less than a grand with few buyers for anything but the ultra rare over that. Coins that were thought to be rare will be available by bulk in the 5 figure range and dropping. You won't believe that all those "major rairities" existed. Then the hi end stuff will level at about 30% of current values and stay there fro 3-7 years in so. All in less than 8 months. >>

Much of the move is quite rapid when the air is taken out of a speculative market.

It can be weeks later before everyone is aware that the market has "soured" and
    then selling can persist for a protracted period. One of the worst things about the
    '89 crash was that it was very difficult to get any offers at all. Those who needed
    cash on coins which had plummeted had little choice but sell at give away pricing.
    These crashes usually snowball at least a little and will even affect coins that hadn't
    been run-up. This is caused by many dealers needing to raise cash and selling any-
    thing not nailed down.

These crashes and spikes are caused by many factors and would occur even without
    speculation but it is largely caused by coin investors and their tendency to move in
    uniform. Of course, most all of us speculate to at least a small degree such as when
    a part of the reson we buy that key date on the high side of the price jump is that we
    think it will sell more readily in the future.

There doesn't appear to be enough air in the market at this time to have much of a
    crash. There aren't large numbers of people throwing their money at anything be-
    cause prices are skyrocketing. Rare series, key dates, and high grades appear to be
    getting the lion's share of the interest and price increases but to a large extent it ap-
    pears to be collectors pushing these areas. Toned coins have also seen huge in-
    creases but this is a relatively small market segment. These do not especially appeal
    to all collectors and it's improbable that there is much speculation in this area.

So long as there are increasing numbers of newbies working on their collections and
    buying coins then the market will likely continue to climb a wall of worry.

But keep your eyes open and always be cynical when you see lots of people doing
    anything. There are always new things that come along and change the world forever
    but one thing that won't change is the nature of man.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    I'm not sure what would happen during another crash of any market but if it really bothers you the thing to do is simple. Wrap up all your coins and send them to me and I'll have all the worries for both of us. I've seen several market crashes, economy dumps, bad times, good times and since I am not a coin dealer, only a collector, over the years I've seen nothing but prices going up, up, up, up until what used to be a cheap coin is now out of monnatary reach for me. If your just a collector, don't really worry about the prices of coins. Over ther many years I've been around they've always ended up going up.
    Carl
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Depends on which side of the desk your sitting on

Tomimage
  • Options
    morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    A year ago there were like 100,000 registered collectors on Heritage and now it's pushing what, 150,000? The dome and gloom guys can't really base predictions on the past. Why? There is a whole new market mechanism with the internet. And more important, many new collectors really don't care or even know what prices were 5 years ago. They do know gold, silver and coins have been going up, more than can be said for the Dow Jones. We have no idea what a crash will look like, or even if there will ever be more than a tempory correction, that allow prices to firm up at a less frothy level.
    morgannut2
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A year ago there were like 100,000 registered collectors on Heritage and now it's pushing what, 150,000? The dome and gloom guys can't really base predictions on the past. Why? There is a whole new market mechanism with the internet. And more important, many new collectors really don't care or even know what prices were 5 years ago. They do know gold, silver and coins have been going up, more than can be said for the Dow Jones. We have no idea what a crash will look like, or even if there will ever be more than a tempory correction, that allow prices to firm up at a less frothy level. >>

They were saying the same thing about the Dow Jones about a decade ago (No end to the current bull market), and now it is treading water. And the thing about stocks is that they represent ownership in productive assets.

Coins are antiques that people enjoy to collect. Beyond private pleasure, they don't produce anything.

Yes, a correction is possible, more like probable, and in the long run healthy if it gets the nutty element out of the market.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yes, a correction is possible, more like probable, and in the long run healthy if it gets the nutty element out of the market. >>

And which part would be the *nutty* element? $10,000 MS68 lincoln cents? $1200 PR70DCAM halves? $2500 MS65 1935S walkers? Anyone care to add to the list? image
  • Options
    Famous words................

"This time it will be different"

The only affect the Internet will have will be the accelleration of the selling phase. You will see the coins available for sale on Ebay in the 1000 plus range double/triple.

Any idea how many gold coins in MS holders are currently held by speculators????

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Any idea how many gold coins in MS holders are currently held by speculators???? >>

I'm thinking of the over 400,000 PR69DCAM modern commemoratives that have been certified by PCGS alone. Speculators treating these and other modern ubergrade coins as rare are in for the rudest awakening. Unfortunately for the future of the hobby, these people probably tend to be relative newcomers and a downturn there could chase many out of the hobby for good.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Any idea how many gold coins in MS holders are currently held by speculators???? >>

I'm thinking of the over 400,000 PR69DCAM modern commemoratives that have been certified by PCGS alone. Speculators treating these and other modern ubergrade coins as rare are in for the rudest awakening. Unfortunately for the future of the hobby, these people probably tend to be relative newcomers and a downturn there could chase many out of the hobby for good. >>

Again, there simply doesn't seem to be a lot of speculation in the hobby but
    there is less in the moderns than in the classics. The newbies are not out
    spending large amounts on modern coins. There are a large number of them
    and in aggregate they spend a great deal on ultramoderns but these people
    are simply not buying high priced coins to a large degree. Most of these col-
    lectors are still learning the basics.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    There's a lot of BABY BOOMERS collecting again, Most are tired of 1 and 2 percent interest at banks and are trying to invest in coins like they did in the old days. The problem is that they are starting to find out the stuff they bought off of HSN, QVC, bad dealers etc is junk and won't realize a profit for many years. There is a lot of new collectors in there 50's and 60's and they have the money, when they finally figure it all out there going to stop buying and try to sell. I feel HSN,QVC coin sales will go in the tank along with the new dealers. In todays coin market the majority of the buyes are buying new stuff 1950's and newer. and it has to be PCGS or nothing and PF or MS 66 or better or nothing, so the days of looking in your pocket change are over. I feel this is all comming to a head and soon...IMHO...
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go over to Sleepy Hollow™. That's what these boards will be like at the tail end of a market crash.
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

If you are buying you will quickly run out of money and still find bargains galore.

Those waiting on a crash to buy into would be wise to heed these words.

• Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    I am wondering what it is like

Imagine it being 2008 and the mint STILL hasn't sold 75000 of the 2005 Westward journey sets (with Ebay about 20% back of mint issue).

• Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    As I see it, the thing that would define a 'crash' is having the bubble burst. On the contrary, who is to say the price gains enjoyed by the coin market are not a correction of sorts?

Evidence of the bubble:

1.)
    Lots of sepculative money being infused into the market, i.e. prices being driven up by buyers who are more purely motivated to make a profit than to own a coin for their own enjoyment.

2.)
    Towards turning a profit, the opinions of individual coins themselves may be inflated, (i.e. having their grades maxed out by TPGSs.)

3.)
    Other forms of market manipulation, both seen and unseen.

Evidence of current prices being a correction of the market of sorts:

1.)
    While certain areas of the market have certainly accelerated, many seem to merely be climbing with inflation, and as someone else here pointed out, many have still not surpassed their historic highs of 15 years ago.

2.)
    The infrastructure by which coins are traded has changed dramatically with the internet and especially Ebay.

3.)
    While I was not paying too much attention in 1989, TPGSs were still relatively new then - I believe for all their drama, in large part they have succeeded in their goal of standardizing the market and in turn have made it more stable.

4.)
    Another thing the TPGSs have done, is expanded the ways people enjoy and collect coins; i.e. sets are no longer defined by primarily by Whitman Folders or The Red Book, but by the Registry programs.

5.)
    Thanks in large put to the efforts of the Mint, there are many new collectors whose tastes are only likely to become more sophisticated as they age, move into different economic brackets, and graduate from the modern issues that first attracted them to the hobby.

So what's going on? Seems to me to be a little of everything. What is for sure? That whatever happens tomorrow is likely to be as unprecedented as the circumstances we have found ourselves in today.

- Artist

• Options

<< <i>Again, there simply doesn't seem to be a lot of speculation in the hobby >>

Most investors are full to the gills. In 2003 and 2004 an unbelievable number of mint state gold coins disappeared into the hands of investors. $20 gold in 63-65 were bought up by the boxes lifting prices like 64Libs from 550 to over 1000 and st gaudens were sold by the 100s. Look at the pop reports and ask yourself where these coins are at now. They will return to the market by the truckload when the market turns.

True that some key dates (barbers etc)will hold better than generics but I wouldn't want to be sitting on the "ever so common" MS65 09-SVDB at these price levels.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most investors are full to the gills. In 2003 and 2004 an unbelievable number of mint state gold coins disappeared into the hands of investors. $20 gold in 63-65 were bought up by the boxes lifting prices like 64Libs from 550 to over 1000 and st gaudens were sold by the 100s. Look at the pop reports and ask yourself where these coins are at now. They will return to the market by the truckload when the market turns.

While that may be true, most hobbyists are not interested in Saints in MS-63 to 65, other than to have a coin or two around. These coins are the de facto currency of the coin/gold investor and have nothing to do with colonials, early half dimes, patterns, SLQ's, AH Kennedy's, commems, or even rare date gold.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Watch LB. I'll bet that it's NOT getting stronger and in fact is getting weaker overall.

Oops, did I say that?

Tomimage
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am wondering what it is like >>

Imagine going to a coin show with a box of decent coins for sale, and NOT being able to sell ANY of them for prices that are even close to the previous levels.

YEP. Those of us who have been around for 20+ years have seen it. AND it could happen again.

Watch your:

Rarirty
    Quality
    Eye Appeal
    And track records as collectors' items.

If you buy common, trendy, fad stuff, you have a much better chance of getting buried. If you buy scarcer coins with long track records as collector favorites, you will have a bettter chance of weathering the storm if the storm comes.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    allegriallegri Posts: 405
    The market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent.

-J.M. Keynes

The hangover will be proportional to the binge

-W. Buffett
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777

Go over to Sleepy Hollow™. That's what these boards will be like at the tail end of a market crash.

God, I hope not- hopefully, collectors will still want to talk about coins, even if they're not worth as much.....
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options

<< <i>Imagine going to a coin show with a box of decent coins for sale, and NOT being able to sell ANY of them for prices that are even close to the previous levels >>

Glad to hear from others who have felt it.

Nothing quite as depressing as going to the show with a box of coins..................and coming back with the same box of coins.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recall going to the fall 1982 Michigan State Numismatic Society show and not being able to buy, sell or trade anything. That is the worst I recall the market ever being, even worse than 1965-66.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yo Bill -

"If you buy common, trendy, fad stuff, you have a much better chance of getting buried. If you buy scarcer coins with long track records as collector favorites, you will have a bettter chance of weathering the storm if the storm comes."

NOT if, but WHEN
  • Options
    In my areas of interest, I'm not seeing a darn thing worth buying, at least not at anything resembling a reasonable price. In some cases, prices have doubled or more in just the last few months. "Trees don't grow to the sky," so this is clearly unsustainable. I think the best we can hope for is a long stagnant period beginning later this year and going on for 5 to 10 years.
    I've sold off a few coins and banked the cash, and maybe I'll have a chance to pounce on some good deals in the near future (maybe my dream 3C silver at long last).
    In the meantime, over the last few months I've developed an interest in modern proof gold and silver coins from the UK, simply because they have beautiful and imaginative designs. The fact that they are available for very reasonable prices (well below issue in many cases) and the mintages are sometimes hilariously low (eg, 438 for the 1996 Gold Britannia Proof Set) just add to the very enjoyable and worry-free collecting.

------
    "It is possible to keep a mind so open that it is perpetually empty."
    --Peter Huber, "Galileo's Revenge"
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file