Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

What is the Life Expectancy of your Registry Set ?

The Set Registry is a relatively new concept.It is less than 5 years old.It is growing by leaps and bounds.It has increased dramatically the buying and selling price of "Registry quality Coins".

If I think back on the true collectors such as Norweb,Eliasberg and others such as Harry Bass,Ted Naftzger or even JJ Pittman,their collecting of coins were a lifelong addiction.

It seems that today there is almost no such thing as a "Rare Coin".Collectors of #1,#2 or #3 Registry Sets are Phantoms.Their Life expectancy is short lived.Their coins go in and out of the market place every 3 or so years.

How will this "Registry Phenomenon" affect the price of the coins you collect in the future ?
What is the Life Expectancy of your Registry Set?

Stewart

Comments

• Mr. Blay,

I'm sure there are a lot of people that would like to hear your answer to that question.
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It seems that today there is almost no such thing as a "Rare Coin". >>

Maybe so... It seems to me that today we have graduated to looking for a "rare set". The registry set phenomenon has not only brought in new "coin" collectors, but has also brought in new "set" collectors. Therefore astute collectors are now collecting rare sets of coins, rather than just a rare coin or two, and these sets may be sold just as quickly as did individual coins.
  • Some of my registry sets are long term while others come and go over time.
    The long term are the more difficult to make and maintain especially this side of the pond!!
    Tony Harmer
    Web: www.tonyharmer.org
  • KeyrockKeyrock Posts: 961
    I'd like to think 30+ years. I'm a collector, not a flipper. I can wait for a series to go cold and slowly accumulate the coins I want. No rush, I'm in it for the long haul.
  • TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    Stewart,

I believe there are still rare coins, and collectors who will hold their rare coins for many years. I have been working on my sets for 10 to 13 years. Steve Duckor on his for 20plus years. And Bingham for 30.

The sets that are selling today that are more recently completed would have been held together longer, perhaps, if the coins to complete then had not been as available. But the internet, and on-line auctions have brought many coins that were earlier hidden in collections to light. And the rise in prices has convinced some to take the profits they didn't realize would ever occur.

Except for the Cardinal Early dollars soon to be sold, the finest early draped bust and bust denominations are locked away for a long time. And the Morse collection of Saints stayed hidden from public view til recently.

But you are correct in pointing out that sales of Registry sets seem to be in every new catalog we see. And many have been completed in less than 5 years. These sets/coins will not bring the ultimate prices to be expected if they were held together for 30 plus years. Even though many of the individual coins are highly desired and go way over expectations.

Me? I'm getting old enough to start thinking about when. Maybe 10 years, after I see your Lincolns at auction, and Gregg Bingham's commems. These two collections are real! And you too old coots aren't getting any younger.
    TahoeDale
  • STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Lincolnfreak - I will say that if you don't hold your coins for at least 5 years then your not a collector.The problem that arises today is that a new collector who wants to own a "Registry Set"has to invest so much money that most new collectors can't afford to hold his/her coins.
    I will personally say you should hold your coins as long as possible.A minimum should be 10+ years.

TahoeDale - There have been more coins sold individually in the first 5 months of 2005 than any other time in Numismatic history.Do you realize how many more auctions there are Numismatically speaking in 2004 and 2005?The hold time for coins keeps getting shorter and shorter.

Stewart
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a timetable for disposal or liquidation. I plan to keep them as long as the interest is there and some unknown financial hardship doesn't force me into divesting of them.
  • scherscher Posts: 924
    I kind of get a little bored when I make a goal...but I do think I could have held my sets a bit longer..My new series though will probably take me 10 or more yrs to put together though..I was right about 5yrs of serious collecting to put together 8 top notch sets..I was real proud of all but maybe 1 of those sets..
    Bruce Scher
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've already purged the Registry Sets I don't intend to keep. They just weren't doing it for me. You are right in that those sets lasted only a couple of years. What I have now, I intend to keep and upgrade where possible. I would still collect these sets even if there wasn't a registry.

But if there wasn't a registry, I wouldn't buy any more PR70DC's! image
    Doug
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had the vast majority of the coins in my Registry sets for over 5 years - some as long as 15 years. I plan to begin liquidation when I retire in about 5 years or so. Will probably take me about 3-4 years to sell everything to the next caretakers of those pieces. I have had a great time assembling the sets and enjoying their completion. So 20 years is plenty for me.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those folks didn't live in a sound-bite world. Attention spans are alot shorter these days.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many of my most revered coins are still raw. My lincoln cent and washington quarter collection from the 1960's and 1970's are just some examples of some of my older sets. The cents are still sitting in mineral oil to keep them as red as they were first minted. So these sets are now approaching 40 years together. I am pleased to have enjoyed them so long.

What is the life expectancy of the registry sets? I do not know. However, I do not like the short term trend thinking these days. How does a set ever acquire a pedigree if they are held 5 years or less. I mean a REAL pedigree.

I have been real disappointed in the sales of the great sets that were put together in the past few years, too soon and too fast.

Collectors like me want to know the coins are safe and sound with a collector who appreciates them for the long term.

This is one of the reason that I started collecting type coins years ago, so that I would not constantly mourn yet another sister/brother set being broken up.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope to work on this as long as I am around to collect and the Son and Daughter can keep going I hope.
    Some dupes but most of the upgraded coins are removed.
    Syl's Washingtons
    Syl's Washington Date Set.
    Syl's MS66 State Quarters
    Syl's Clad Quarters
    Syl's Silver Washington's
    This is just the Quarters, the Halves, and Dollars not included.
  • I have a set which I want to have buried with me, just so that no one else will ever bump me out of the #1 position!image

• How will this "Registry Phenomenon" affect the price of the coins you collect in the future ?

Big Time!

Stewart,
    Remember "back in the day" when the P mint Lincolns from the teens could be had in 67RD for a couple thousand bucks? HeII, remember the 13-P you outbid me on for $1100 (if I remember correctly). I remember Andy offering me a 09-S VDB in 67RD for $20,000 and I thought "what's this guy been smokin?" What about your 30-D in 67RD? What, you paid around $300 for that coin?
    Then comes the registry.
    Now folks are paying tens of thousands for coins with mintages in hundreds of millions. Hundreds and hundreds of beautiful pristine Lincolns in 66 holders that registry titans don't fell are good enough because PCGS says so. You and I know that many of those coins are every bit as good (sometimes better) than what the "experts" say are 67's. Yet, because the 67 gains a hundredth of point advantage over the next set, it brings 10K.
    So, what's the life expectancy of my registry set? About 2 years. I feel stupid that it took me this long to figure out just how ridiculous is the registry.
    What's the life expectancy of my Lincoln set? 18+ years and kickin'! If Gerry wasn't such a nice guy I'd be pi$$ed at him for not hittin' me upside the head. He's got it right. Collect for yourself. I'll continue to hunt down the finest Lincolns I can buy. I'm just not feeding the frenzy any longer.

Jack

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the sake of debate, I think most collectors started young, dropped it for other interest, and then come back harder than ever and with more cash to spend on getting those coins they needed to finally finish a set they first started long ago. Then the upgrading begins. That is more or less the collector you see on the registry set, ones who has been around and will stay around for a long time.

Sound familiar?????

In my opinion, if the registry set was a true collectors magnet, you would see a couple of thousand sets registered just for circulated Lincoln cents 09- 58. But in my three years, I have never seen it go above 190 sets and has averaged fairly steady at 183 with folks coming and going like a revolving door.

Why???

Because it takes cash. And a young collector or first time collector may think it’s like collecting “beanie babies”, but it takes much more money than it may first appear. Not just for the coins. Heck, you can go after vg quality but you will still need to get 85 slabbed at that will cost you $1700 +. That is a lot of money for a new collector. Those that even jump into collecting modern coins will be shocked at what a coin may cost. So we will always see a lot of sets start, and those that are lucky enough to complete a set will sell their sets and move on after they realize they can not win the “contest” they just entered. I know that may be hard for you folks at the top of the totem pole to understand but may I remind you that there are more of us with collecting budgets than those with none.

I think the registry is pretty much maxed out and the only thing that will keep it going are PCGS coming up with new series.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    1yr 4mo's 2wks & 5days image
  • saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    My guess is a 15 year holding period. After that long I will have them burned into my memory well enough to remember forever, and be in my early 60's....there will be NO coins in MY will...unless my wife discovers that I'm worth more dead than alive!image

Passion first, cash-in second...unless......
  • lloydmincylloydmincy Posts: 1,861
    <<There have been more coins sold individually in the first 5 months of 2005 than any other time in Numismatic history>>

Stewart: This will continue as long as the appetite continues, as well as the reserves of coin sellers hitting and the thing sells.

<<For the sake of debate, I think most collectors started young, dropped it for other interest, and then come back harder than ever and with more cash to spend on getting those coins>> they want.

That's ME!!!!!
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    Me too...image
  • DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    I think my wife wants to know how long my set will be held, but it has always been my intent to continue the set until it is "finished" to my satisfaction. I keep reaching newer goals and haven't hit the final wall yet. Even then, I plan to hold my set another 15-20 years. As with any collection, though, economic interests could change my mind to part earlier. People talk about losing the fire that drives them to collect, but I frankly don't see that happening to me.

Besides, I have one advantage over the two individuals who hold the majority of the better barber halves...my age. I suspect that Steve Duckor and Dale Friend are both likely to sell their sets before I plan to. The question is how many will I be able to afford when the time comes? Opportunities like that only come rarely and like the Hugon Collection, must be acted upon in real time.

So count on me to keep my registry set for some time.
    Dr. Pete
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think my main sets will remain together for a very long time. However, in the past, I've gotten bored with certain sets and sold them off ... such as the proof twenty cent pieces and the proof trade dollars. Proofs just aren't my favorites.
  • I guess alot depends on how deep your pockets are. I am on the poor end of the collector scale. Set wise I collect what most people consider modern !@##$% Proof Ikes,Sba,sacs proof76 set and a 1943 ms set. None are even in the top 3 sets. BUT I sure do have fun collecting them. I intend to hold on to them for atleast another 20 years or so and sell them then only when I need the money to help me along during retirement.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have owned most of the coins for 20 years or longer BEFORE the coins went into NGC registry sets. I don't have any plans to sell any time soon unless I find an upgrade. Upgrades knock coins out of my collection since I don't keep duplicates.

And since the best I've been able to to do in a MAJOR set category across the street has been #4, I don't think my stuff with generate much registry interest when it does get sold.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first and only Registry Set lasted about six months.

My collection is constantly changing direction, but it will last a lifetime.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My collection is constantly changing direction, but it will last a lifetime. >>

This is well said, and true for me too. My coin collection has seen many registry sets come and go.
    The registry allows all my retired sets to still retain life... image

• For those in this game for the Glory,

it lasts as long as it is remembered.

BBpM
    Bill Jones: <<<<I don't think my stuff with generate much registry interest when it does get sold. >>>

Perhaps not, but it will indeed generate much collector/buyer interest nevertheless.

Including on my end.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess alot depends on how deep your pockets are.

It really is less dependent upon the depth of one's pockets than you might think. Usually, those with deep pockets got to where they are financially because they enjoy, and rise to, challenges. Once the challenge of completion is over, it's a fight to maintain interest in keeping the set together.
    <<<<

<< <i>I guess alot depends on how deep your pockets are. I am on the poor end of the collector scale. >>

>>>>

True what TDN says is true but some coin collectors are actually quite frugal lest we waste our money on frivolous things as it would horrifying to take away money from your coin budget!

The Norwebs as well-to-do as they were in the 1960's and early 1970's, brown bagged their lunches INCLUDING their beverages EVERY DAY I met them in Cleveland, Ohio. Heck, THEY taught me how to save my money for the coins I wanted.

Emory Mae Norweb said "it is all about the coins, isn't it?"

She really loved looking and learning about coins.

From that fateful day in 1971, I vowed to brown-bag my working day lunches and figured out just today that made a difference of an average of $3 a day in savings on the low end x200 working days minimum per year x 34 years equals $20,400!!!

So never say, never!!!

Now if anyone wants to treat me to lunch, I would consider it!image
  • Oreville,
    not figure out how much you saved
    with compound interest for all those years
    Tim image
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From that fateful day in 1971, I vowed to brown-bag my working day lunches and figured out just today that made a difference of an average of $3 a day in savings on the low end x200 working days minimum per year x 34 years equals $20,400!!!

Now if anyone wants to treat me to lunch, I would consider it!

Oreville - You did 6800 brown bags and all you have to show for it is the equivalent of a low end PR68 Morgan? image

Sure, I'll buy lunch.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Well hey what the heck, everyone else is chiming in and I can resist! I have been collecting coins since my grandfather opened up his dresser and showed me a mercury dime, Ike dollar, wheat cents, and several other fantastic coins!!! I looked at them for hours and hours. Then all summer long we would go to the bank and buy rolls to look for circulated coins to start filling the dates so I could have one of all of them! I went through thousands and thousands of coins that summer. I was twelve at the time.

I didn't have the money to collect coins from the coin store until I turned 16 and got my first job! By the time I turned 18, I knew I was hooked for life! I have never sold a single coin that I bought, not even one!! I love each one of them soooooo much in their own little way. I even have the ones from that summer when I was 12 with my grandpa. Of course they are all f, VF, au, etc grades not worth much but I still can’t seem to get rid of them as they are still tucked in boxes in my basement! Every now and then I pull all of my coins out from the several locations of their slumber and look at each and every one of them!

So to answer your question about how long is the expectancy of my registry set, I will say until financial hardship or death do us part!!

PS I will open up my 1980 mint set very soon, it has taken me almost a year to assemble and should be #1 very soon, and hopefully forever!

Zach