Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Getting way to picky with my coin purchases....

I think I'm beginning to get way to picky with the coins I'm selecting for my sets.

I recently started working on sets of Barber quarters and halves, both in VF-XF grades. To give you an example of how picky I am, I spent about 5 hours at the GSNA show on Saturday, (quite a few dealers carried Barber quarters and halves), and came away with one raw, and one certified Barber quarter. With all the decent, raw Barber coins that were offered, I should have come away with more than one, raw, common date coin.

One dealer at the show had a beautiful, 2 tone, 1899-o Barber half for sale. The coin was totally original, graded VF-30, but had a tiny rim bump at the bottom of the coin, on the obverse. Because of the tiny rim bump, I passed on the coin. This type of scenario was repeated numerous times at the show. I think I bought the NGC, MS-63, 1893 Barber quarter, out of frustration and desperation. The coin was very nice, I needed the date for my set, but it doesn't really fit to well in a VF-XF set. At this point, I just couldn't see myself driving 2 1/2 hours (total driving time), to a coin show, and then walk out with one, common date Barber quarter, in XF grade.

Anybody else out there feel like they might be getting a tad to picky with their collections, to the point where its becoming tedious instead of fun?

Comments

  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,785 ✭✭✭✭
    Right here! The hunt goes from being fun to being down right tedious. Still, I can't change who I am.

    I will say that when I do find the right piece, the exhilaration is wonderful.

    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I think the best collections are formed by picky people. Stand proud!
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your problem is probably better than the alternative, and buying crap that you aren't happy with!! image

    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭


    << <i>I think the best collections are formed by picky people. Stand proud! >>






    image
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 25,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stay picky!!! I will pay off when it comes time to sell...and that time will someday come.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 25,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will pay off...I still need to proofread!
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Picky is good... I went to GSNA for two days... at least 10 hours, plus 40 minutes of driving each direction (twice), and I came home with 3 coins. Usually I'll buy much more than that... but I saved my money a few times for something better. The knowledge I gained at the show, however, was invaluable.

    Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Being picky is the best thing a collector can do.

    I have been watching for another '56 flyer for months now and finally snagged one after viewing numerous ones at shows and online and even purchasing one and returning it!

    The high pricing of what I collect, Key dates, is also another good reason to be very picky and to only buy choice looking pieces.

    I've gone to the baltimore show a few times and left without spending a dime and I live in OHIO!
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dan the Man,

    You are on the right track ----slow and methodical is the only way to go. Your example of passing on a nice half with a tiny ding really hits home. Been there many times myself. You made the right call.

    I attend a fair number of small shows (less then 40 tables), and I usually walk out empty handed. Zip. It can be frustrating. But when you finally see that better date original Barber Quarter or Half staring back at you in a glass case, you can unload with both barrels. That “high” is well worth the wait.

    Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    solidsolid Posts: 2,975
    The only reason to compromise your standards and buy less of a coin than you
    want is this usually causes the one you really should have bought to become
    available a short time later! image

    Ken
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its best to be selective, it will always pay off in the long run, both aesthestically and financially.

  • Options
    Thanks guys for the replies.

    I guess being obsessively picky is better than buying alot of crap, like I used to. My collection is alot smaller now, new additions are few and far between, but I'm much happier with the coins I currently own.
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dan,

    Keep being picky! It makes it hard when we are collecting circulated coins and really want Superb Gem's ... but waiting for a really good coin is always worth the wait.

    image

    “We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

    Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options


    << <i>But when you finally see that better date original Barber Quarter or Half staring back at you in a glass case, you can unload with both barrels. That “high” is well worth the wait. >>




    Dave,

    You're absolutely right about that "special" coin.

    My biggest mistake was attending the GSNA show, on the third day of the show, instead of early on opening day. With the current popularity of the Barber series.........all the exceptional stuff was long gone, I had the leftovers to choose from.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

    Dan,

    Believe me, I know exactly how you feel. I spent two full days at FUN last January, and never found ONE coin on the bourse floor to fit my set of Barbers.

    I did land an incredible SLQ in the Heritage auction though.

    Patience Young Grasshopper... you will eventually find what you seek.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

    New Barber Purchases
  • Options


    << <i>Patience Young Grasshopper... you will eventually find what you seek. >>





    Mike,

    Is 50 young, in grasshopper years.......thanks for the compliment!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file