Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A sticky question or in other words what should I do?

I think I already know the answer to this...

I have accidentally listed a 20 cent piece with a title that says: 1875-S 20 cent piece EF net VF 35
In the item description I have correctly listed the description as: This coin has been lightly cleaned in it's past, therefore I grade it EF details net VF 30.

I stand behind a net grade of VF 30 for the coin, but am disturbed that some people won't read the description and will bid based on the title. I can't change it because it already has 7 or 8 bids.

What can I do? There should be a way within the ebay system to fix a screw up like this. I guess I should just end the listing and write the bidders an apology explaining why...

Geeze I hate making mistakes. Any other ideas before I do anything?
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - William Faulkner
NoEbayAuctionsForNow

Comments

  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    How about you make an addition note to the listing stating the title error? Otherwise, just forget about it.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    How much value difference is there between a net VF30 and a net VF35? If it is very little, I'd say let the auction run. The serious bidders who are paying attention will eMail and ask about the discrepancy.

    OTOH, if the value difference is substantial, I'd say cancel and start over.

    BTW, this isn't really an ethics issue since it's just a matter of an easy to make mistake.

    Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    KurtHornKurtHorn Posts: 1,382 ✭
    Russ, thanks. You're right, I took the word ethics out of the title.

    There is very little if any difference in bucks. I just despise the idea some jerk could turn it into... "He was trying to decieve me...."
    "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - William Faulkner
    NoEbayAuctionsForNow
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly Kurt, I think the mistake is quite minor, and should be left alone.

    If you can still add to your description, I would put in something short, i.e. ... listing title error, coin is net VF30 not VF35

    You say, ... but am disturbed that some people won't read the description and will bid based on the title.

    Unfortunately it seems there are a lot of people that just don't read the words. Ebay at it's finest. I guess there will always be a few fools with money.



    “We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

    Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777 ✭
    What Russ said- and that 1883 morgan you're selling is very nice!! image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    get a friend to ask the seller a question and post the question and your answer to the listing or contact the current bidders and ask them if they understand the listing
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    tlhoytlhoy Posts: 2,204
    Your auction looks good to me. Your title says "net"
    If you're worried about it, revise the listing and add in big bold red letters..

    This coin may have been very lightly cleaned in it's past, therefore I grade it EF details net VF 30.

    Then email the high bidder of your revision and offer to cancel his bid if he no longer wants it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file