Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Show Report - GSNA (NJ) Annual Show

I just got back from the last day of the three-day (Thurs-Sat) annual GSNA show. Although this show is smaller than the monthly Parsippany show (60 dealers vs. 80), it attracts dealers who don't go to Parsippany and floor traffic is a lot less, so it's much easier to get to the dealer's tables. I was told by a couple of dealers that while floor traffic was down in comparison with prior years, there was a lot of wholesale business being done on Thursday and Friday.

I had a long chat with book dealer John Burns, who, as usual, had a very nice inventory. We chatted about some books that I haven't been able to find recently, including Overton (he says that he talked to Parsley, who said that he'd be bringing out a new edition instead of just doing a reprint) and Bust Half Fever (John said that there'd be a second edition of this book, as well). He also said that he'd talked to the folks at David Lawrence about reprinting some of their books, including the Fox book on Walkers and their books on Barbers, but they didn't display any interest in doing so. I told John about my Numismatic Scrapbook score, and while he commented that 25 cents each was a good price, he said that he has "tons" of them for sale, including multiples sets of several years - so if you want them, you know where to get them! (I picked up a copy of Marsh's book on Gold Sovereigns, second edition.) John also had a very nice copy of the 1885 London edition of John Jay Knox's book, "United States Notes", with some very nice plates (illustrations of early Treasury notes!).

As far as the show went, I was disappointed to see that a couple of dealers weren't there today, including our own njcoincrank and Don Hosier. (I also noticed that Bob Beels wasn't listed at all.) Dr. Saslow of Ye Olde Curiositie Shoppe in South Orange was there, so he seems to be making more of an effort to get out to shows (he also goes to White Plains now).

The Mint was at njcoincrank's former table, and even though I didn't talk to their rep, they had a nice display about the new nickels.

Doug Bird had a truly awesome inventory of raw coppers, as well as some other early coins.

While I was at one dealer's table, another dealer brought over a small stack (8 - 10 coins) of NGC slabs for him to look at. The prospective purchaser was nice enough to let me look at them - 6 or 8 classic commens in high grade and two southern gold pieces. I was really gratified to see that, although the coins were in brand-new slabs, they didn't appear to have been molested at all. The commems looked to have their original skin, including some very light toning in spots - such as an MS-67 Norfolk that looked to have very faint tab toning! The southern gold, a D-mint half eagle in AU-58 and a gold dollar in MS-64 appeared to have their original skins as well. It's very nice to see that not every coin that goes to NGC goes through NCS first!

There was the usual mix of inventory, lots of Morgans (although, one dealer had at least 5 1893-S, all in VG or Fine, as I recall). I also saw a lot of Bust dollars, many of them in PCGS or NGC slabs, too! (The prices of these must have climbed high enough that the coins are spending some time in dealer inventories!) Seated dollars seemed to be in short supply, though.

As for me, I didn't see that much that attracted my interest, but I did buy an 1827 Bust half in an NGC-45 slab - it has a fair amount of luster peeking through the coin's dark toning.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>but I did buy an 1827 Bust half in an NGC-45 slab - it has a fair amount of luster peeking through the coin's dark toning. >>

Tom Hyland's?

I saw Bob Beels on Thursday, but don't think he was planning on going the other two days--he didn't have a table. As for njcoincrank, I believe he was with his son at a Tae Kwan Do event in the morning, with plans to pick up his stuff in the afternoon, if he didn't decide to take it yesterday.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report Dave, and thanks

jim d
  • Options
    Thanks for the report.

Dan
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    DarkmaneDarkmane Posts: 1,021
    bust halves are HOT right now, i tell you what. i couldnt find a single attractive one in au at the denver show.
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    Jeremy: Yes, it was Tom's. njcoincrank must have taken his things yesterday, as the Mint was at his table; plus, I was there until 2:00 or so and I didn't see him.

Darkmane: Busties have been hot for a while - they just increased in price again in the Grey Sheet this past week - and they are getting harder to find, too!

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the usual great report, DaveG.

If anyone wants to contact John Burns regarding numismatic books, PM me for his email address.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report. These are always interesting.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Dave, that was a very nice half... I considered it for my type album, but got some other goodies instead. Nice grab!
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Jeremy: I'm glad you liked the 1827 Bust Half. I was trying to decide between the raw one that Tom had marked XF-45 and the slabbed one. I finally decided that the luster and slightly more reverse detail was worth the extra $20.

I've also got John Burns' phone, e-mail and snail mail addresses, in case anyone wants them.

• Options
    Dave,

To make you feel better, I think that is the single finest XF45 bust half I've ever seen--I've seen few with a hint of lustre, and this had enough lustre to substantiate AU50 or 53, IMO. VERY choice coin.
  • Options
    Jeremy,

image - You're making me blush! (and No, you can't buy the coin from me!)

I did like the coin the first time I saw it. I asked Tom why the coin was still in his case, but all he did was shrug. It was only later that I saw his raw 1827s and decided to compare them.

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Great report! Thanks for posting
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options

<< <i>Jeremy,

image - You're making me blush! (and No, you can't buy the coin from me!)

I did like the coin the first time I saw it. I asked Tom why the coin was still in his case, but all he did was shrug. It was only later that I saw his raw 1827s and decided to compare them. >>

I'm not looking to buy it... if I were, I'd tell you how bad it was image
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One more picture from the show, courtesy of Fran Cackowski and the NJ Numismatic Journal!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    That's the first four legged dog I've ever seen at a coin show.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file