Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Opinion requested on 1841-D $2.50

MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,192 ✭✭✭✭
I've always wanted a Dahlonega gold piece. I'm considering making an offer for this coin:

Link

What do you all think of it? You all haven't steered me wrong yet. Thanks in advance...Mike
Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.

Comments

  • Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744 ✭
    Tough for me to say be how much gold is collected down at the VF level? I know these are rare but I like coins with more detail. Is this a better date? If so, I would buy a more common date in XF with better features and surfaces. JMO.
    Tom

    NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

    Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,968 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks to be rather washed out and cleaned, but you can't always tell by a picture.

    Akers says that this date is virtually unobtainable in high grade and that EF and VF are typical. This coin easily appears have enough "meat" for the VF grade. Gray Sheet is $1.625 in VF and $3,500 in EF, but you can't buy these coins for Gray Sheet money unless they have something seriously wrong with them.

    If you are just looking for a D-mint qurter eagle there are other dates that much easier to find in higher grades. But if you want this date, this coin for the money might deserve some consideration.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Quarter eagle Dahlonega pieces are scarce and the 1841-D is a semi-key date. The coins grade appears solid but, it does appear 'washed out' meaning much of the original surfaces have been lost. This probably is from dipping/ultrasound etc? My recommendation is to purchase a Dahlonega coin with original surfaces mostly intact. This may prove to be more important than the grade...I have no hesitation recommending original Dahlonega coinage VF to AU (its a little more tricky re: the Uncs). Be discriminating and don't hesitate to ask for help. I estimate that less than 25% of the remaining Dahlonega coinage has most of the original surfaces remaining.
    Collect for enjoyment
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Bill Jones. For that money I think you could do better as far as find Dahlonega piece in general.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, I was just going to get one nice Dahlonega piece for a U. S. type set. I got bit by the Dahlonega gold bug and ended up collecting the 9 piece type. Now, most of the U. S. type set is being auctioned off piece by piece. I suggest you try to get a more common Dahlonega piece. For $4000 to $5000 you can get a nice original piece. Contact Doug Winter at Pinnacle or Al Adams at Gold Rush Gallery. The 41-D is a rare piece and usually just not available nice.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Some good information on this thread. I would pass on this particular coin at anywhere near the asking price. You can probably find a nice XF for not much more money, eventually.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always wanted a Dahlonega gold piece.

    I would recommend a half eagle as a type coin. With a QE, the "D" is somewhat obscured by the bottom of the eagle. Half eagles are generally more available and less expensive for the grade. Go for a common date (43-D, 44-D, 45-D, 47-D, 54-D) and get a nice original XF coin--it will be more challenging to find than you think!
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,192 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all for your insight. I agree with the original luster comments. I'm going to hold off on the coin. Thanks so much...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have your heart set on a 41-D QE, I know of two currently on the market:

    This NGC AU-53 at Pinnacle/Doug Winter:

    image

    and a PCGS AU-55 at Gold Rush Gallery/Al Adams.

    Both of these dealers are highly preferred for Dahlonega coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file