Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thoughts on this Morgan?

This isn't my coin, someone sent it to me to image. What do you think of it?

image

Comments

  • Options
    CapstickCapstick Posts: 263 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin. I like it.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,192 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice reverse. The thumbprint kills the obverse for me...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    black splotch on center obverse... ugh.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146 ✭
    ok toning
    ms64
    great pic
  • Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685 ✭
    MS-64. Would have said 65, but the spot and what appears to be a print (could be fabric) kept me from 65. After doing a little research, I found out the 1886 Philly was a high production coin and the dies were used to no end. For some reason the obverse softness doesn't match the reverse on this coin. I have a NGC MS-65 with the same softness as this obverse, but mine also has a soft reverse, just like an O mint Morgan. image
    Wayne
    ******
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295 ✭
    Wam, this coin is fully struck on both sides. Sometimes toning like this will make it appear to be soft. The diagonal line is present just above the ear, which is a good indicator of a strong strike.
  • Options
    Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016 ✭
    Looks like she tried to go to the gothic look, Nice coin though.

    PURPLE!
  • Options
    BigGreekBigGreek Posts: 1,090 ✭
    I like it alot too. I can see it as a high end 64. Can anything be done to
    the black spot which wouldn't hurt the color?
    image
    Please check out my eBay auctions!
    My WLH Short Set Registry Collection
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Pretty coin.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    BIGDAVEBIGDAVE Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭
    i Like it send it to me it matches the 78-s i got from you
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295 ✭


    << <i>I like it alot too. I can see it as a high end 64. Can anything be done to
    the black spot which wouldn't hurt the color? >>



    I'm not sure. On coins like this I avoid messing with them at all. The board member had it listed as a 64 for sale on another message board for $55.
  • Options
    It's a beaut- I would venture to say a solid 65 candidate.
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another coin I like but one that many collectors would feel is too deeply toned.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    when I read the title "Thoughts on this Morgan?" and saw the coin my first thought was.......

    My mailing addy is!
    There is nothing more powerful than the power of goodbye
  • Options
    razorface1027razorface1027 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭
    I love antique type toning on Morgans. The rainbows...Ahh, I can do w/o them. Gorgeous coin, Eric.image


    Tom
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    I LOVE the reverse! dizzyfoxx
    image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,968 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd grade it MS-65, despite the spot. The coin is beautifully toned, and to expect all of the toning to be perfect, is something that must be reserved for coins in MS-66 and higher.

    Without the spot it would have a shot at MS-66, but no higher than that.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777 ✭
    Another coin I like but one that many collectors would feel is too deeply toned.

    Actually, I think it isn't toned deeply enough. While it's an attractive morgan, I would look for something with a bit more intense toning....
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    I've been trying to figure out why you liked this coin so much to post photos of it, but I just can't seem to figure why you're so proud of it!!

    Edited---The ORIGINAL photos look to be MS-65 to me. Some 1886 Ps were know to have a touch of weakness in the strikes according to the VAM Encyclopedia.

    Anyone might know what VAM this might be??!! image

    image

    If I only had a dollar for every VAM I have...err...nevermind...I do!! image

    My "Fun With 21D" Die State Collection - QX5 Pics Attached
    -----
    Proud Owner of
    2 –DAMMIT BOY!!! ® Awards
  • Options
    Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016 ✭
    Hahhahahaahh! Thats a good one!
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295 ✭


    << <i>I've been trying to figure out why you liked this coin so much to post photos of it, but I just can't seem to figure why you're so proud of it!!

    Anyone might know what VAM this might be??!! image

    image >>



    Wiseguy. image
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,669 ✭✭✭
    Not bad. Solid 64 at minimum, decent shot at 5.
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭

    Nice coin, Eric. Is it me or have you become partial to toned Morgans over the past few Months?? You should have never sold me those four NGC Fat Slab Morgans that all have beautiful rim toning!! image

    TorinoCobra71

    image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 45,379 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Very nice reverse. The thumbprint kills the obverse for me...Mike >>

    image

    What MikeInFL said. It's a very attractive coin, but I don't care for the fingerprint. (I wouldn't say the print kills it for me, but it's a tad distracting).

    Collector since 1976. On the CU forums here since 2001.

  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that coin Eric- I see a good shot at a 65 there with nice color. Not a high dollar piece, but a nice addition to a colored set. That print does not bother me.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295 ✭
    Well, if anyone wants to discuss this coin with the owner, PM monstavet, it's his coin. I think it was a steal for what he was asking, but I'm not sure if it is still for sale or not.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file