Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Denver Coin Show

I just attended my first coin show today - and it was quite amazing. I woke up about 7:00 this morning, showered, gathered the necessities, and drove up to Denver. I got there early, and walked around for about 2 hours before even considering buying something. I've seen some nice pieces locally, and some amazing pieces on the internet.... but let me tell you..... some of the high end pieces are AMAZING to look at in person. That alone made it worth the trip.

I next decided to try and add a couple pieces to my type set (circulated scarce/better date original pieces, preferably xf-au58). I found a TON of nice pieces..... however I only brought $60 and could only withdraw $200....... so most of the coins I liked were 50-200 out of my POSSIBLE range (most dealers wont take cards). I saw a BEAUTIFUL originally toned au58 1853 arrows and rays seated liberty half..... and was glad I didnt bring any of my collection of my life savings with me - I would have pawned all of them off for the sucker out of impulse...... I'll buy that one when I can afford it.... or at the Colorado Springs show if the dealer still has it. I walked around until 3:00 and was about to give in without picking anything up.... when I stumbled across a small table I had ignored for some unknown reason.

I found about 20 slabbed coins..... and fell in love with about 15! This guy had some AMAZING original coins. I ended up buying 2 great coins: a type 1 1913-s au58 buff 5c and a 1831 au58 half dime at ridiculously good prices! The gentleman who sold them to me - Terry Lenz, was extremely helpful and kind..... It ended up a great day! I found a couple wonderful pieces and can afford to eat for the rest of the week =)



So in conclusion, some tips for first timers:

1. bring cash. you will regret it if you dont bring 2x as much as you want to spend (however dont bring your life savings it will disappear)
2. dont bring coins you like. the temptation may arise to spontaneously sell them off for another amazing piece..... you would most likely regret it later
3. as others have mentioned - look around for at least a couple hours before bringing out the wallet
4. ask dealers questions and try to annoy them for a minute or 2.... if they're nice and respond politely you've found a genuine guy willing to help (note: stop being annoying if they're nice)

Comments

  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>(note: stop being annoying if they're nice) >>



    It's been my experience that the trully annoying don't know they're being annoying. image

    Good tips. My only addition would be to bring paper and pen with you. I don't know how many times I've seen a coin I MIGHT buy later, then forget which table it was at. image

    Sounds like you had a great time!
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    DarkmaneDarkmane Posts: 1,021 ✭
    it was a great time..... now to save up money for the next 2 months for the next large show i can make it to. thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    numonebuyernumonebuyer Posts: 2,136 ✭
    My first coin show allowed me to see a PCGS slabbed 1893-S MS-60+ and an 1895 PR-60+ Morgan. I use the "+" because I cannot recall the exact grade but both were at least 60. Amazing to behold to be sure.

    Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Good report! I'll be there this morningimage

    Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    CrackoutCrackout Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, I was at the Denver show as well. And I was hunting basically the same coins for my typeset, although I tend to look for raw VF-XF coins. Picked up a few. It is tough though - I sometimes think I'm a VF guy living in a VG world. But if I am patient, I can usually have luck trolling the albumns and boxes.

    I ran into Prethen and saw poptopsRus. ICG had a table and the Denver mint was handing out Minnesota quarters and Bison nickels (does the mint do this at other shows?).

    It didn't seem too busy but will probably be busier today.

    Overall, I was happy with my finds and I didn't break the bank either.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    See you there later this morning!

    Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    tigermarootigermaroo Posts: 265 ✭✭
    I went there on Friday morning and was disappointed in this show. First, all the ads in the paper said they opened at 9:00 and they didn't open till 10:00. Second, the prices on coins are getting crazy. The early Lincolns were way overpriced. $40.00 for a Fine 1911-s is ridiculous. Usually, I can find a lot of raw coins that are somewhat common, but this show I had a hard time finding raw coins (especially at reasonable prices). I still had a great time, but somewhat disappointed.
  • Options
    I went yesterday.

    Due to overbooking my weekend with stuff my kids are doing I was pretty rushed.

    I finished buying proof sets from my birth year up to now.

    I looked at quite a few 23-S lincolns. I didn't go for an expensive one because they all seemed to be poorly struck and the two higher grade examples I saw had planchet problems. The really expensive ones I didn't bother to even look at because I wasn't going to buy one for $1,100. I saw an MS-64 that looked ugly to me so I didn't even ask the price.

    I did get some nice jeffersons to begin upgrading my collection of Jeffs. Those seemed to be plentiful but not cheap.

    I always like seeing coins I have going for what I think are very high prices. I saw several 82-P Jeffs with $8 price tags. I have one that is much nicer and I only paid 25 cents for it in 1993.

    I think it was clad coins who said 81-P Jeffs are hard to find in MS. I looked and didn't see any.

    OBTW: I had picked up a few 1971 Mint Sets because I thought under $3 was too cheap for them. At the show I saw two 71 sets for $7 each. Has the price on these jumped that much? If so, the four sets I bought at $3 make me look smart.
    Some call it an accumulation not a collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file