Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

POLL: luster, lack of marks, good strike?

we recently discussed this but I don't think we've made it into a poll...which is the most important featur in a mint state coin?
USPI minimalist design collage
designset
Treasury Seals Type Set

Comments

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I like luster, but I prefer the coin to be without spots and/or fingerprints more than anything else.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    DarkmaneDarkmane Posts: 1,021
    i love looking at the detail in a well struck coin.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The marks, especially in the prime focal areas, really kill me. I regularly sacrifice strike and luster for a relatively mark-free surface.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I'm a striker
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    You need an "all of the above". My preference, in order:

1) marks
    2) strike
    3) luster

Take care...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I HATE marks!!!! Especially in the prime focal areas, just as RKY wrote.

Bright, lustrous surfaces make marks look even worse, which why I don't like the vast majority of P-L Morgan dollars.

Beyond that I look for a great strike with all of the detail fully struck up. That's why I have tended toward purchasing Proof coins for type recently.

Finally luster is great, and I won't buy anything that is dipped out dull. BUT great luster combined with a mediocre strike and some to a lot of marks will encourage me to pass. There are some coins out there that in high grade slabs that got there though luster alone. Those pieces don’t do much for me at all. I think that they are overgraded.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some coins out there that in high grade slabs that got there though luster alone. Those pieces don’t do much for me at all.

I agree 100%!

I remember looking at some Saints with a dealer once. RYK asked: "How can this be a 66 with that big whack on the reverse?" Dealer replied: "They grade these by luster. Marks don't really count." It appears that he was correct.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Dings.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    I don't like marks either, but mark free without luster doesn't do anything for me either. As for strike, it depends on the series - on something like an SLQ strike is essential to bring out the character of the coin. On a morgan or a peace dollar - eh - it's ok - I'd rather have mark free, lustrous and colorful coins there image
  • Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭

<< <i>They grade these by luster. Marks don't really count." >>

Luster sells. Look at all of the hype descriptions of coins as "brilliant" "dazzling" "blast white" or "blazer." Collectors are drawn to shiny coins like ravens. Lack-luster is a pejorative. You just don't see hyping based on fully struck or mark free as much. The luster lovers at the TPGs also cotnribute to the dipping of coins by crack-outers seeking an extra grade point.

On the other hand, putting too much attention on stike leads to strike designation--something I abhor. Who cares if some tiny detail that encompasses less than 1% of the coin's design and can only be seen under magnification is fully struck? Why pay big premiums for those, and relegate all others to orphan status?

That having been said, there can no one answer to this poll. It is a matter of balance. Who seeks out marked up coins with great strike and luster? Or dark and dull ones that are fully struck and mark free?

I won't vote in this poll because, because it ignores balance. For example, all things considered, if a coin is scarce fully struck I would probably prefer a fully struck example so long as it had adequate if not great luster, but if I were acquiring a typical weakly struck example I would want one with superior luster. And in either case marks would have to be considered in the mix.

CG

Edited to Add: I agree with Frank
  • Options
    Frank-
    but what would IGOR say?image
    designset
    Treasury Seals Type Set
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dull luster, weak strike, or a big gash across Miss Liberty's face? No contest. I hate bag marks!!!

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marks bother me more than weak strike or dull luster.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    This poll is perverse, and I may have nightmares. image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have always been partial to well struck coins but have usually been out-of-step with the market.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    For me, a well-struck coin is the best. Sure luster is nice, but it seems that well-struck coins have less luster than coins struck from worn dies. Just look at proofs, they are very well-struck and have near zero luster. Marks, I can take it or leave it.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    They're at the eighth pole. Strike the Planchet is fading. Big Luster making a big move on the outside challenging Coin Marks for the lead, AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME!!!!!
    designset
    Treasury Seals Type Set
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    Strike is usually what I look for first...the others are secondary. I want a coin that has all the detail it was intended to have.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The strike of the coin is more important to me then the luster but I also care about the location of the marks. This is why I look for fully struck, mark free examples. The luster and toning come last. And yes, if you have any dark and dull looking EDS Jefferson nickels, I'll take them off your hands. As long as they have presentable steps.
    It's interesting to note here about the poll. While luster out paced the strike 16 to 12, there was only one post favoring luster to 5 posts....oops, make that 6 posts favoring the strike of the coin. By the way, there were 7 posters on disliking the marks on coins.

Leo

Edited to add; I believe this thread (which I also missed) preceeded the Poll thread. Link!

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    How about an "all of the above" choice. I think you need all of them for a nice MS coin but if I had to chose one I would go for A good strike. Actually maybe luster. Actually hits. Hmm, I cant decide.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strike.

Really it's a little more complicated than this and tends to be dependent on the series
    and the absolute qualities in which most examples are found. I always want a mostly
    full strike since a loss of details to a bad strike is just as bad as a loss to circulation wear,
    but a complete 100% strike is only of great interest when most examples have weak and
    indistinct details. While luster isn't as important to me in coins which typically have good
    luster, its importance goes up on coins where luster is usually impaired.

The same holds true for marking. Little marks are not as distracting as missing details but
    on coins which are rarely seen clean then markfree examples take on added importance.
    Large marks tend to hurt coins a lot to me whether they are unc or circ.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Luster covers marks, marks breaks strike, strike cuts luster.
  • Options
    I look at the marks,then strike and last luster...marks can make the best lustered coin look like...smutt!

And just to add, marks can mess up a well struck coin real bad.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file