Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bowers' "American Coin Treasures and Hoards"

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've wanted this book for a long time, but still cannot find it.

I look on places like Amazon and see it going for over $200 now! image

I want a copy pretty bad, but not that bad.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    mojoriznmojorizn Posts: 1,380
    I've wanted that one for a while too. $200 is pretty steep. By the way, loved the article you contributed to in Coin Values! Way to go.

mojo
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • Options

<< <i>By the way, loved the article you contributed to in Coin Values! Way to go >>

Thanks?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    "Holey Coins - Intimate portholes of history lure imaginative collectors" by Paul Gilkes, July issue of Coin Values. Don't tell me you didn't know you are extensively quoted in the article!

mojo
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

• Options
    No- I didn't.

I knew about this article in Coin World, but since the title of what you mentioned is different, presumably Mr. Gilkes wrote a separate article for Coin Values?

Interesting.

• Options
    Hmmmm... Looks to be the same article. But I swear I'm not crazy. The article is even mentioned on the front cover.

mojo
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

• Options
    I guess it ran under a different title in the publication you mentioned?

What I find strange is this...

here's a picture of a few of the holeys on my vest and hat...

and here's what they ran with the article...

Somebody tried to plug the holes in my holeys! image

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've wanted this book for a long time, but still cannot find it.

I look on places like Amazon and see it going for over $200 now! image

I want a copy pretty bad, but not that bad. >>

I thought I'd seen that recently!!

Check Steve Estes' site Link. He's got it for $59.95....better buy quick before he realizes he can sell them for $200. image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    TT, thanks. Somebody else linked me to one on eBay (starting bid $19-something), and I put an esnipe bid in for that.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with LordMarcovan, I need a copy too. But I am a cheapskate, so if one has one to unload, PM me. Actually PM Mr. Marcovan first and then me.

Actually, all I want is info on the Vicksburg, Mississippi hoard containing an 1859-O twenty. Cool story. The gold was buried and then the plantation was burned to the ground by Union soldiers. The gold was never recovered until 100 years later.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, all I want is info on the Vicksburg, Mississippi hoard containing an 1859-O twenty. Cool story. The gold was buried and then the plantation was burned to the ground by Union soldiers. The gold was never recovered until 100 years later.

Pages 285-6: What do you want to know about it?

Edited to add: It's a shame that coins like these lose their provenance. I would pay a premium for a storied coin from such a hoard.
  • Options
    USAROKUSAROK Posts: 887 ✭✭✭
    ANR has the book on their website for $59.95 too.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>I'm with LordMarcovan, I need a copy too. But I am a cheapskate, so if one has one to unload, PM me. Actually PM Mr. Marcovan first and then me.

Actually, all I want is info on the Vicksburg, Mississippi hoard containing an 1859-O twenty. Cool story. The gold was buried and then the plantation was burned to the ground by Union soldiers. The gold was never recovered until 100 years later. >>

If you still want this info I'll be happy to copy it for you.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    It's a great book. You can definitely find it cheaper than $200!
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was fortunate to find this book at the local library. Very entertaining.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    partagaspartagas Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭
    Just ordered a new copy from Littleton for $59.99 hurry I am sure they won't last long.
    If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?
  • Options
    TavernTreasuresTavernTreasures Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Thanks RYK --- book purchased
    Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!
  • Options
    You'll enjoy it. I finally got myself one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file