Home U.S. Coin Forum

1839 Seated Liberty Quar.Dol opinions please

another auction find..image

XF 45 ????

Herb

Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
imageimageimage

Comments

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭
    To me it doesn't make XF due to the flatness on the high spots. Certainly looks as tho it's been slid over a surface many times in its life, which is interesting.
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say VF Herb but that is just me.

Many of this date carried prooflike surfaces. Are there any of those remaining that the picture hides? Technically a high end VF can/should have luster. They just dont anymore.

J
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    VF20
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If that's luster peaking out on the reverse in the devices, feathers, etc. then I would be inclined to agree with the XF45 grade. Otherwise I'd say XF40. These come poorly struck as a rule so major flatness in Liberty's leg is the norm. Same for head, upper drapery, and parts of the left side of the eagle.

I saw a friend of mine purchase a 75-cc twenty cent piece for Fine money at a recent show and the coin had about 15% orig luster.
    Flatness in "Liberty" and the figure lead the seller to believe it was a Fine at best. Maybe, if it were a later date seated quarter. But not for this date 20c. It was all of a VF or better even though LIberty was weak with the "ER" missing.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • There is some luster peeking out around the edge on the rev., none at all on the obv.

VF30 will have to do, I figured 45 was a long shot.

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also remember the basic rule that Bustman alluded to. If it's got luster, it's usually better than you think. And today, that usually means a nice VF and probably XF. Corrollary to that is that full field luster coins are usually not AU but something in the 62-64 range.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭
    Herb:
    I really don't like the look of the obverse of this coin. At best it's VF. The reverse might be a VF30. I wouldn't pay stronger than VF for the coin, but I don't like the mottled look of Liberty. The cap is flat; the head is flat; there are too many flat spots and mottled spots on the coin. I would have passed; there are other 1839's out there.

Bruce
  • No way EF45; VF 20 or so...
  • Thanx all for your input, I'll place this one in my "learning box".

Herb
    imageimageimage
  • mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a nice original coin. Overall I like it's look. Detailwise, I guess I'd call it VF30. I'm as far from being an authority on this as one gets, though. The rim has got a few many bumps for my liking. There would exist a price at which they wouldn't bother me, however. It's a worthwhile coin, in my opinion.
    mirabela
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too much actual wear for XF... Decent coin...VF 20.image

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't like the look of the coin I would pass on it, but hey that is me.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks Vf25 ish,

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think may be a coin that needs to be seen in person to be appreciated. I think grading the coin from this photo may not be relable. This is not a coin I am wild about, but I would not automatically dump it in the learning box. Take a good look at the strike, lustre and the pattern in which the coin has worn and make good mental notes. It always helps on coins that may fall somewhere between grades. I tend to think VF30 to 35 from the pictures

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice original coin. Has a lot of character. The more I look at it the more it grows on me. VF30 grade.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    vf-20

no way in he11 is that xf+

K S
  • lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    Briggs 2-B. VF30. A more common variety.
    Edited: I just looked at my VF Briggs 2-B, and it has the same effect of no centrils in the stars on the right. This isn't noted in Briggs encyclopedia, but it has to be characteristic of this die variety and should not be used to knock down the grade.
    This condition is known for others quarters in the Seated Liberty series.

Ray

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file