Home U.S. Coin Forum

Grading High Relief Saints is always a mystery....like this...

saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
Guess the grade?? Keep in mind that the raggedness at the top of the reverse is absolutely NORMAL because of the wire edge and the multiple striking when this was made. That is not a take-away on grading...

Comments

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazingly beautiful coin... looks clean and lustrous... MS66
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is beautiful Jay. Beautiful coin.
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooops...I would call it a 66, shot 7.

Probably sitting in a 5 holder right?

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't even know where to begin to grade it.....

So, I'll say MS-64, obviously!! image

Those are beautiful.

(Added: Suppose I should justify my WAG grade. I went 64 due to strike weakness around the entire reverse. THIS IN NO WAY IMPLIES I HAVE ANY RIGHT TO EVEN TRY TO GRADE IT!! I just like guessing.) image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would grade a 65, but with limited experience in gold, and after grading a few in the PCGS grading challenge conservatively, I am not sure. The few scattering of light marks on the reverse may limit the grade?
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see wear on the knee so its probably only a 64 using todays market grading standards.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    66 all day...
  • RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Heck of a nice AU58 image
  • saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    there is NO wear on the knee..and RB...You are cute....real cute...image
  • 65 but should be a 66.Great coin JB.
    GTS
  • Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016
    I'll call it 65 all the way.
  • JdurgJdurg Posts: 997
    I'll guess it's MS-WAY OUT OF MY PRICE RANGE! imageimage

Very nice coin though. I'd be hard pressed to find a flaw in it. image
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Looks like a decent 65
  • pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful coin...MS-66
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Couple of ticks on the obverse, heavy mark on the wing on reverse, and what is that spot under the R ?
    Your pictures are large enouph to show flaws that the grader might not catch.
    My guess MS65.
    These things are what dreams are made of.
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    The coin has the LOOK of an MS66 - Liberty's knee and breasts look to be free of friction, etc. and the surfaces appear to be very clean.

BUT, it also appears to have some light hazy substance in both the left and right obverse fields (if my monitor is not playing tricks on me) so I'm going to guess it's been messed with and is in a 64 holder.

If there is no substance on the surfaces I wouldn't be surprised if it's graded 66 or even 67, however.
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    WOw. that's nice. I'd go 66 on it.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • I'll be damned if I venture a guess based upon a pic image
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭
    Whatever the grade may be, it's a very generous giveaway, Jay! imageimage
  • MS64
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    66 image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Way too nice for a MS-66, I will go for MS-67. Virtually mark free. Those are huge pictures and still virtually no marks.

Tom
    Tom

• rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    I love the coin, but I see what prompted the previous knee rub comment.....My uneducated guess is 65....would love to hold it in my hand to search for miniscule hairlines, just to cause some fun!!!! Great coin!!!!image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • jpkinlajpkinla Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
    Great Coin JB. WHERE ON EARTH would you buy such a gorgeous coin? Must be a super nice guy to sell you a MS66 for an OLD MS65 price!

My $20 Saint Gaudens Registry Set
  • TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I go with 64 cause of the reverse.....

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
    OK...It IS a MS65, but a very strong one...the only takeaway is that there are a few ticks on the high point of the wing..but I do think that it will be an MS66 one day.

Mark...there isn'yt anything but die polish marks on the obverse...in fact the obverse is an EASY 66...but it is hard to garde pics, although Mike Printz's pics are actually as good as they get..

Thanks to all...image

Jay
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moke Printz's pics are actualkly as goos as they get..

Put down the marguerita and say good night now... image
    image BUSTED!!!
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the area of weakness around the sun and the sun rays right above the sun on the reverse also keep the grade at high end MS-65?
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
    Oreville...not really...the reverses were very weak at the rim becuase of the extreme height of the eagle...there just wasn't enough gold to make a clear edge...look at some archived MS66/67's and you'll see the same thing.
  • ERER Posts: 7,345
    JB, it's a 65. But, you know PCGS would give it a 67 if the date were 1933.image
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any chance your looking to adopt a 47 year old son?
    wanna pay off my Home Equity loan?? image
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saintguru: Thanks, I will look at the MS-66 and MS-67archives. I never really studied them this closely before. This is fun, the learning aspect.

The closest I ever got to owning one was the annual Heritage raffle for the free High Relief Saint in MS-61 or so!!

Still have not won one of them.image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    By the way, even the "Proof" High Relief's (which NGC recognizes but which PCGS does not) display weakness of strke at the sun on the reverse.
  • 100proof1957100proof1957 Posts: 6,231
    I dont know and i dont care !

Can i have it ?
    Oh..You can have it!! image
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like an MS-66 to me. The only mark of note is on the eagle's wing above the base of the tail feathers. Otherwise it's really clean.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    Thanks Bill..what is really interesting that the pic doesn't quite pic up, is the array of colors...It is a greenish gold in the fields, with orange in the deep creases.....very colorful..
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I really like the view of the wire rim. That's neat. I've never seen one in person.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • That must be an MS65 High Relief Wire edge. Beautiful Rainbow Hue! image
    The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. (Socrates)

MY PCGS SAINTS REGISTRY SET
  • GaudensGaudens Posts: 1,016
    Gaudens
  • GaudensGaudens Posts: 1,016
    Beautiful Coin !!!!

Gaudens

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file