Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question about Randy Johnson card

I have only recently seen this - a 1989 Fleer (regular and glossy) Randy Johnson rookie cards with "AD COMPLETELY BLACKED OUT" on the PSA flip. What does that mean. I have a glossy PSA 9 that looks exactly the same on the front. Is it something on the back? Help would be appreciated. There is no destiction in SMR.

Shane

Comments

• Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

There were some versions of the 89 Johnson that showed a lighted sign ad for Marlboro(?) in the background. The add was blacked out on later versions. I have seen three versions, one with the ad, one where the ad is barely visible, and one completely blacked out.

I seem to remember also that something in the ad included version indicates that the photo was taken at Veteran's Stadium (RIP) in Philly - just a useless piece of trivia.

Keith
  • Options
  • Options
    I have 4 of the 1989 Fleer Randy Johnson Full Marlboro Error Cards in PSA 10 condition. Anyone interested?
  • Options
    Hey Frank, I scanned a couple cards from you. Sorry that the quality is really bad, I didn't feel like taking them out of the sleeves and top loader, but hopefully you can still tell the difference. I assume that the 2nd card is one of the "Partially blacked out ad's", but I am not 100% sure.

• Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Hey Frank - did you get that response?

2 1/2 years later!!!

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Frank - did you get that response?

2 1/2 years later!!!

image >>

Ughh, right in the shorts!!! I never even thought of looking at the date. Oh well, sh#t happens.