Home Sports Talk
Options

Great Game tonight

Maddux against Clemens. Two future first ballot hall of famers will go at it tonight as the Cubs take on the Astros in Houston. If you get WGN on cable/satellite, you may want to tune in.

IMO, Clemens has had a much better year thus far, but no run support. Maddux has had a better time since his first couple of outings.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris

Comments

• Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    That is a rare game and I'm looking forward to it, Clemens will probably pitch better but I wonder if he'll get any runs. Also tonight, you have Mulder vs Hudson, the first time the two great former A's pitchers meet. I don't plan on leaving my couch tonight.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First ballot as you say - of course - not debatable. The following is "debatable" of course and I'm still contemplating it, but consideration may have to be given as to whether Clemens is the greatest pitcher of all time. I believe that's possible.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>as to whether Clemens is the greatest pitcher of all time. I believe that's possible. >>

I'll say Clemens is truly a great pitcher, arguably the greatest of this era, but to say he's the greatest of all time?

That could be a bit of a stretch...and I think with today's constant visibility, we tend to lean towards modern players as the best all time. It was like when ESPN did their all time best athletes and had Jordan #1, Ruth #2 (I'd argue Ruth should have easily been #1).
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< It was like when ESPN did their all time best athletes and had Jordan #1 >>>

I agree that Jordan as the greatest "athlete" was a total joke. This was already discussed in a thread a while ago. My opinion is that they voted Jordan #1 simply because he helps brings them advertising revenue from all of the ads he is in. If Jim Thorpe was in some ads, then it would have been Jim Thorpe as the greatest athlete which it should have been.

I am well aware of the difficulties if not the impossiblilities of comparing players of different eras. And I didn't say Clemens was definitely the greatest pitcher, but I think he has to merit consideration as the greatest pitcher of all time.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I think it's a very good argument...but trying to compare pitchers from years past to today's difficult at best. With the bigger batters, and (overall) smaller parks, and a livelier ball, dominating today is a different beast than it was in years past.

• Options
    I think he belongs up there with Koufax, Walter Johnson, Seaver, Palmer, Carlton, Cy Young, Feller, Ford, Gibons, etc.
    Sure, why not! image