Home Sports Talk
Options

Nfl Draft results...

Well, Im hoping for Mike Williams at #7 but I think the Titans will nab him, we get Williamson.

Hope to see Marcus Spears at #18!

Also hearing rumors that we may trade #7 and Bennett for Miami's #2 and go get Ronnie Brown.

Like most Vikings fans I also want Nugett (ohio kicker) probly our 3rd pick...

Am I speaking Chinese?

Comments

• Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    hoping cowboys get johnson at #11 and clayton at # 20. but looks like they will be trading down.
  • Options

<< <i>Well, Im hoping for Mike Williams at #7 but I think the Titans will nab him, we get Williamson.

Hope to see Marcus Spears at #18!

Also hearing rumors that we may trade #7 and Bennett for Miami's #2 and go get Ronnie Brown.

Like most Vikings fans I also want Nugett (ohio kicker) probly our 3rd pick... >>

I think if the Vikings trade up it will be to get Braylon Edwards. I think they will trade down though. I think Williamson could turn out to be better than Williams and I hear they are high on Clayton too. His size scares me a little.

My first wish is to go up for Edwards, but the price is likely too high. Would love to see them trade down and end up with two first rounders plus two seconds. Could end up with three quality players, 4 with a little luck. WR Williamson, DE Pollack or Erasmus James, and the best players on the board with the 3rd and 4th picks (non QB, K) would be sweet.

If they stand pat, I wouldnt be surprised if they went RB if one of the big 3 are left, or LB Johnson banking that Williams, Williamson or Clayton will still be there at 18. Rumor has it Denny Green would swing a trade for Bennett if the Vikes pick an RB with the 1.

They have so many options, I can't wait to see what they do.
    Collecting PSA and BGS 500 HR & 3000 Hit Club Baseball
    HOF Quarterbacks Football
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Mike Tice will freeze up yet again and let four other teams go by him before he pulls the trigger on Chris Rix in the first round!

Don't you guys have 3 good backs as it is?

JS
  • Options

<< <i>Mike Tice will freeze up yet again and let four other teams go by him before he pulls the trigger on Chris Rix in the first round!

Don't you guys have 3 good backs as it is?

JS >>

Once again an uneducated opinion on the Vikings draft of 03. To review what really happened again, The Vikings agreed to trade their pick to the Ravens, knowing they could still get their guy and add another pick. The Vikings turned their card in to the podium ON TIME with the trade decision. The Ravens on the other hand, after agreeing on the trade DID NOT GET THEIR CARD IN ON TIME. Tagliabue could not approve a trade without both cards so he announced the Vikings pass without any warning to Minnesota. The Vikings still got the man they wanted. His name is Kevin Williams. By the way, in only his second year last year he led all interior lineman in sacks and made the pro bowl as a starter. The Ravens on the other hand would have selected Leftwich if not for THEIR MISTAKE. Instead they're stuck with Kyle (deer in the headlights) Boller who is the worst starting QB in the league. Who srewed up????????????

I said I wouldn't be surprised if they took an RB, I didn't say I agree with it. The presense of Randy Moss made the running game better. They have a nice stable of backs but I think they would like an elite back that can carry the load. Bennet is greased lightning but is injury prone and has other limitations. Smith has the off the field issues and does not have great speed. Williams is no spring chicken and the jury is still out on Moore.
  • Options
    I like Bennett, but it has become apparrant you cannot depend on him being healthy all year. So, I would not be disappointed with another RB. Not my first choice though...

Smith is the guy I would like to see go in a trade, Keep Moore as a 3rd back.

That being said, JS your getting Mike Williams, you know this right ?

We will shut him down in week 1 image

Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always enjoy watching the NFL draft. This is definitely one of the toughest years to predict anything. Last year I was dead on predicting the Eagles #1 pick would be an offensive lineman. Believe me - I've been wrong most years - LOL.

This year the Eagles have pick #'s 31 and 35. One of those picks will be either linebackers Barrett Rudd or Odell Thurman.
  • Options
    SOme say Matt Jones to the Eagles...

I think that kid will be a bust, heck he has never played WR lol...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    Sounds like Troy Williamson is a VERY strong possibility to The Vikings, they may even pick him if Mike Williams is STILL there at 7, which I hate.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I'd like to see tampa take mike williams, and make a trade to get travis henry.

Williams and Clayton with either Greise or Simms throwing to them, Henry in the backfield, Anthony Becht at TE...could be a very nice solid lineup.
  • Options
    Titans, please dont pick Mike Williams..Cant believe the Bucs didnt want him, or the Bears...

Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options

<< <i>Titans, please dont pick Mike Williams..Cant believe the Bucs didnt want him, or the Bears... >>

I was shocked as well. Not so much with the Bears (they signed Muhammed in the offseason), but a bit more for the Bucs. But RB is a strong need as well, and with the Bucs' cap issues, drafting a quality RB makes sense.

Not sure where the titans will go, but with their #1 WR getting cut loose last year, it seems he'd be a good fit there.
  • Options
    This sucks...I wanted Williams, 6'5 and the dude can catch... Studwell, you suck...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    LOL - they didn't do it beef. I still think they got a good WR, some even say better... He can fly. Williams may likely go to the Skins, being that they had apparently inquired about a trade up for Braylon. I'm hopind Detroit goes with Rolle, as their defense needs some of that Miami swagger. One never knows who Arizona will choose, but they should go with Rogers.
  • Options
    I wonder if William's stock has dropped so much because he didn't play last year? I mean the guy was likely the #1 overall pick last year, and now he's leaning towards out of the top 10?

I've given up trying to predict players...
  • Options
    Anyone else think Braylon Edwards is a bit too full of himself? All I've heard him talk about his how good he is, how he's already bought a $150,000 bentley, etc. etc.

I think the guy might be (a) a contract mess and (b) not committed to giving everything to the game.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone else think Braylon Edwards is a bit too full of himself? All I've heard him talk about his how good he is, how he's already bought a $150,000 bentley, etc. etc.

I think the guy might be (a) a contract mess and (b) not committed to giving everything to the game. >>

for a second there I thought you were talking about Kellen Winslow Jr. The Browns must like those types.
  • Options

<< <i>

for a second there I thought you were talking about Kellen Winslow Jr. The Browns must like those types. >>

I was thinking the same thing as I typed it...having those 2 guys in the locker room will be a big challenge for a new coach.

Also, looks like Aaron Rodgers could fall as deep as #24...when he was looking at possibly being the #1 overall...huge drop.
  • Options
    Hey beef... You'll get to see Williams play twice this year anyways _ LOL
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone else think Braylon Edwards is a bit too full of himself? All I've heard him talk about his how good he is, how he's already bought a $150,000 bentley, etc. etc.

I think the guy might be (a) a contract mess and (b) not committed to giving everything to the game. >>

Braylon only has one knock on him. He sometimes drops the easy catch. Being a Big Blue fan, I've watched every college game he has played and have actually met him twice... He's not full of himself, just confident in his abilities. This guy is a superb athlete and can go up and get the ball as good as anyone in college and will likely be a great player in Cleveland, that is if they can ever find a good QB. He is a great team player who just needs to focus on every play. I'm happy the Lions took Williams, but would have gladly seen Braylon in the Honolulu Blue as well.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm happy the Lions took Williams, but would have gladly seen Braylon in the Honolulu Blue as well. >>

I'm wondering if the Lions took Williams because of Rodgers' injury issues.
  • Options
    I'm certain that is a factor. Millen said that they would be drafting talent and inevitably that is what they did. Rogers will either have to produce this year or he will be gone. Harrington is now on the shortest leash in the NFL. If they do not move the ball with both Williams, Rogers, Kevin Jones and the recently acquired Pollard, Garcia will be in and Harrington will be on the next plane out. Detroit needed a solid receiver up the middle, and Williams should provide that for them along with Pollard.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

for a second there I thought you were talking about Kellen Winslow Jr. The Browns must like those types. >>

I was thinking the same thing as I typed it...having those 2 guys in the locker room will be a big challenge for a new coach.

Also, looks like Aaron Rodgers could fall as deep as #24...when he was looking at possibly being the #1 overall...huge drop. >>

maybe the Clown's will end up with Rodgers? They certainly need someone at QB.

I wonder if Braylon will still do his flips?image
  • Options
    Three corners taken in the top ten picks! That has to be a first. I don't even rmember two corners being taken in the top ten picks. No other QB's taken yet besides Smith and we're at the 17th pick. Looking for the Eagles to grab that good linebacker who can also be an immediate key special teams player.
  • Options
    Well, now that I have taken some time to read up on Williamson, my tude is changing some. Even though I DID want Mike Williams, Troy was the fastest WR in the draft, he played with a bad team, and apparantly has great hands.

Ill give the Vikes a B on this draft so far, I think they could have traded down and still got Troy, maybe picked up another 2nd or 3rd rd pick...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    LMAO Jacksonville took Matt Jones!!!
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options

<< <i>

Ill give the Vikes a B on this draft so far, I think they could have traded down and still got Troy, maybe picked up another 2nd or 3rd rd pick... >>

Well getting their pick in on time is a lot better!

The Vikes seem to be solid in this draft, and Dallas is doing great too.
  • Options
    KOBEcollectorKOBEcollector Posts: 3,873 ✭✭
    Pretty happy with the 2 picks so far with Dallas . Looks as if their moving to a 3-4

Would love it if Poole drops to thier next pick which would enable Roy Williams to move to his natural position, strong safety
  • Options
    Some weird stuff going on out there. Three corners in the top ten picks and now a center was picked in the first round. A center? I know that kid Spencer is good, but a center with your first pick?
  • Options
    Parcells was expected to address the Defensive Line - those are two good picks for them.
  • Options
    I'm surprised Mike Tice with his brains didn't take a punter - LOL
  • Options
    Aaron Rodgers finally off the board. I think getting an education by Favre will be a great fit for him.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm surprised Mike Tice with his brains didn't take a punter - LOL >>

Tice has a brain? When did this happen?
  • Options
    Well, they ARE going after nugent (kicker) as their #49 overall pick...

Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    Eagles took a WR with their 2nd pick. To be honest that was a bit of a surprise for their #2 pick. If anyone had any doubts about Freddie Mitchell being gone, this seals it.
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    i was happy with the cowboys first 2 picks. but unsure of the 3rd pick. but who knows maybe our defense will put up 10 points a game and only give up 7?

think we need a wr we are getting old there.

eagles fans reggie brown little early. i watch all uga games and he isnt that great. decent but i thought hed drop late 3rd.
  • Options
    <<< i was happy with the cowboys first 2 picks. but unsure of the 3rd pick. but who knows maybe our defense will put up 10 points a game and only give up 7? >>>

Yea - with the lousy quarterbacks the Cowboys have, each time this happened you'd only win the game 10 - 7.

I know maybe it's too early for Cowboys bashing...but I couldn't help it image
  • Options
    Freakin Jets... Took Nugent at 48, wtf...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    I've been analysing this Eagles 2nd pick of a wide receiver and I'm just not getting it. Let's face it - Reid has not been very good at picking wide receivers in the draft. This guy has a lot of negatives for a high 2nd round WR pick. Love their first pick, hate the 2nd pick.
  • Options
    Hey Kuhlman , little info on Kevin burnett

Ranked as the 2nd ranked OLB by the Sporting News

Is instinctive against the run. Takes good angles to the ball and makes impact hits. Solid tackler ( unlike Derrick Jonhson who missed alot of tackles last year ) who has good speed for his size. Ideally suited for the weakside position. Former safety who can cover backs. Is a fine athlete. Gets stuck on blockers at times

Sounds like a solid defense guy which is what we need

Still need free safety, back up running back and a young reciever would be nice. Don't forget we can still pick up some guys after the cuts
  • Options

I think Williamson could turn out to be better than Williams

WR Williamson, DE Pollack or Erasmus James, and the best players on the board with the 3rd and 4th picks (non QB, K) would be sweet. >>

Great job Studwell, Tice and company. You nailed it. There is no replacing Moss, but Williamson has the blazing speed to go with Culpeppers long arm. Speed kills, especially on carpet.

Erasmus James should develop in to a premiere pass rusher as should Udeze. Kevin Williams is already arguably the best in the league and should only get better. Pat Williams is one of the leagues' best run stuffers. The Vikings D line is looking great.

Add the corner combo of Winfield and Smoot (certainly among the elite combos in the league), Sam Cowhart in the middle, Harris, Thomas, and EJ Henderson make a steady if not outstanding linebacker corp. I'm not giving up on Henderson being a star yet.

Cotrell has the horses on D. Culpepper gets some of his bullets back. Watch out for the Vikings.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    ~"Cotrell has the horses on D. Culpepper gets some of his bullets back. Watch out for the Vikings."~

Cotrell has the horses to finish slightly better than the 28th ranked defense he finished this year with.

As a Jets fan it is nice to see that they significantly upgraded the kicking game and the return game. The loss of Moss on punt returns was worrisome but adding Miller should solve that problem.
  • Options

<< <i>Mike Tice will freeze up yet again and let four other teams go by him before he pulls the trigger on Chris Rix in the first round!
    JS >>

Don't worry Joe,
    I am sure that Chris Rix
    will have a fine career,
    playing in NFL Europe or
    the US Arena League. image

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>~"Cotrell has the horses on D. Culpepper gets some of his bullets back. Watch out for the Vikings."~

Cotrell has the horses to finish slightly better than the 28th ranked defense he finished this year with.

As a Jets fan it is nice to see that they significantly upgraded the kicking game and the return game. The loss of Moss on punt returns was worrisome but adding Miller should solve that problem. >>

You are about the only person in North America that doesn't think Minnesota's defense will be vastly improved. Five new defensive starters through free agency. Every single one a major upgrade. They also drafted the premiere pass rusher in college football in the first round in Erasmus James.

You follow up that ridiculous opinion by supporting the Jets moronic move of drafting a kicker in the second round. ???????????????????????? Another wasted pick by the Jets. Can you say Kyle Brady?
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    vikesfan40 - You said the same thing last year and the Vikes D went from 23rd to 28th.

As for the Jets, I am pretty happy with their prospects. They are coming off a 10-6 season and proved they have the defense to play with anybody. They have a brilliant defensive co-ordinator that helped them jump from 21st to 7th in the league in one season. They did that despite suffering some crucial injuries. The defense will be fine, the offense will benefit from a new co-ordinator and the specialty teams will be vastly improved. Good thing you remember Kyle Brady as it has been a while since the Jets had a bad draft. They had a great draft in 2004 with Vilma (the reason Cowart is now a Viking - good luck to him covering people in Cottrell's scheme), and Coleman both defensive starters and Adrian Jones going to be starting at right tackle in 2005. It would be nice if every draft would be like 2000 when they scored Ellis, Abraham, Pennington and Coles but making the play-offs 3 of the last 4 seasons in the same division as the 3 time Super Bowl Champions usually leaves you in a low drafting position.
  • Options
    They werent 28th overall were they, maybe the pass D...

I see NO reason how they could possibly be a WORSE defense than last year. Its going to be alot easier on my nerves this year, I can feel it. Or it could be the pizza I just ate...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options

<< <i>vikesfan40 - You said the same thing last year and the Vikes D went from 23rd to 28th. >>

Point taken. I did predict an improved Vikings defense last year and I was wrong, at least statistically.

But I was right on with my assesment of Kevin Williams and Winfield. My opinion was mainly based on the improvement of Kevin Williams and the addition of Winfield. While both players played great, it was not enough to improve their ranking.

It should also be noted that teams know they will have to score a lot of points to beat the Vikings and gameplan accordingly.

Last year Winfied was the only significant upgrade on defense. This year there are 6. Also, my prediction of major improvement this year is shared by most NFL analysts, reporters, and journalists. Does that meant it will come to be? No, but nobody was more successful this off season in bolstering an area of need with higher quality players at every position. And they followed that up with Erasmus James in the first round.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    The Lions got the steal of the draft! Now if Charles Rogers can stay healthy for one quarter. I think this is it for Joey though, if can't do it the first couple of games he will be yanked for Garcia. Just not sure how the defense is looking for us.

Stingray
  • Options
    KOBEcollectorKOBEcollector Posts: 3,873 ✭✭
    << The Lions got the steal of the draft! >>

Most of the mocks i saw leading up to the draft had him going near the 10th pick and some even had him going later than the 10th so im not sure if it was as much of a steal as it was a surprise that the Lions would take him especially considering thier needs were elsewhere

Your right though the pressure is on Harrington to perform or Garcia will be in before long
  • Options
    I'm not sure the Lions got the steal of the draft...I think the lions are scared that Rodgers is injury-prone, and just are covering themselves up.

I was sure they'd be going defense with their first pick...but I think that the lions know that Rodgers will again be hurt this year and went with someone who will be there to cover if and when he does.

On a related note, Rodgers has burned me each of the last two years in my fantasy football leagues...so I have a bit of anti-Rodgers bias going.
  • Options
    I heard the Lions were getting Jeff George image
    Am I speaking Chinese?