Home Sports Talk
Options

Center Field - You Want Mantle, Mays or Who?

Gimme your all time centerfielder. Glove, bat and why?
"A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...

Comments

• Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    Give me Junior (the Seattle version). I know Mays, Mantle, and many others were great but I never got to see them play. Griffey is the best of my time.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>Gimme your all time centerfielder. Glove, bat and why? >>

At the height of their career? I'd want Griffey Jr.

Call me a homer or whatever, but the Kid dominated the position of CF for a decade, bombing home runs, won the gold glove for a decade straight, over .930 career OPS.

Mantles, Mays, and Jrs lifetime numbers are all quite similar (with Mays have a bunch more hr's because he played forever) and Mays and Junior had similar runs of gold gloves.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mays - Easy call.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Great question! I will take Mays.
  • Options
    Over the career - Mays
    Before injuries - Mantle
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    best glove i have ever seen is andruw jones. best bat mays.
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    Not really center, here's my pick for best outfield

12 Gold Gloves

• Options
    Mays. His anticipation in the outfield will always give him the edge.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Joe Dimaggio
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Mays made it look like he was playing a different game out there.......he's the best I've ever seen.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very tough call. Mays gets the edge with the glove. Both are outstanding hitters but Mantle may have been the best switch hitter ever.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the bat, I'd have to go with Willie Mays (and probably second definsively).

Having watched this guy closely the last 5 or six years, Jim Edmonds is the best defensive centerfielder I have ever seen. "The Catch" that we have all seen Willie Mays do with his back to the plate is nice, but Jim Edmonds does it with a "parallel to the field" dive, with his back to the plate. And he does it least once per year. Not to mention jumping over the wall to steal home runs. He is pretty amazing.

Shane

• Options
    The ball that Edmonds is diving for full out...Mays is already camped under it. There is no comparison between the two defensively, and it is a laugher offensively. Do you realize how large that park was in centerfield that Mays made that catch?

I think the person who put Griffey up there with Mays and Mantle needs to do a little more research.
  • Options
    Top five OPS+ finishes for Griffey...2,3,4,5.

Top five OPS+ finishes for Mantle....1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,2,2,5. And no, my number one key is not stuck!

Top five OPS+ finsihes for Mays.....1,1,1,1,1,1,2,3,3,3,3,3,4,4.

Griffey is not in the class of Mays devensively, and I'm not sure he is in the class with a young Mantle either.

You could debate betwee the Mick and Mays, but how Griffey gets into the discussion is quite baffling.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skinpinch:

Good point about the Polo Grounds... deepest Center field in the history of the game. But at that time, I believe Yankee Stadium was 461 dead center but the Polo Grounds was over 480...perhaps more depending on the year. The center field in Cleveland's Municipal Stadium was fairly deep too but I can not remember the distance but it had to had been at least 440 or 450.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's because Edmonds plays very shallow. He is so good at going back on balls, that he plays shallow in order to cut to balls quicker. I can't tell you how many times I've seen him throw out people at the plate because of that.

Just my opinion.

Shane

• Options
    Rickey Henderson?