Home Sports Talk
Options

If not your team...

AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
...which team would you root for to win? Do you have a soft spot in your heart for another team other than your own, that if your team is out of contention that you root for?

Just curious what everyone else thinks.

Comments

• Options
    KOBEcollectorKOBEcollector Posts: 3,873 ✭✭
    One rule of thumb for me is that i NEVER root for any team in the same division that my team is in once my team is eliminated

As far as rooting for other teams i don't have that " 2nd favorite team " in any sport that some people may have.

• Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    As a New York native (pre Mets) my team was always the Yankees. My father was born/raised in the Bronx (me too), and he taught me baseball (as a coach) and NY Yankee history as a fan back to the 20's.

As a kid in the 60's, I was a devout American League fan, always pulling for The Yanks....but if not them....the Baltimore Orioles. They were great then with Frank Robbie, Brooks, Boog, Weaver, Palmer and the rest of the pitching staff. Oddly enough, I live in Maryland now and still root for both the Yanks and The O's second. National League is nix.

"A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Im not saying I root for other teams because I don't, but how amazing would it be if the Nationals went all the way?

JS
  • Options
    I know many Cubs fans will want to kill me, but if it is not the Cubs (and it usually isn't image), I tend to root for the Cardinals since the team is in the NL central and has a great tradition. It's great to think that an otherwise bland city would be such a great baseball town with some of the greatest players ever. I usually wait until the Cubs don't compete anymore and then root for the Cards. Sure, I hate most of their fans (hicks), but I guess it isn't much worse than ignorant Wrigley fans (Yuppies).

I don't care for the NL East, but I really like Jack McKeon and his attitude and keep up to date on his team and root for him, but not necessarily his team (I know, it doesn't make sense). In the west, I root for the Dodgers and Giants - more so for the Giants since it has been a long time since they won it all.

I hate AL ball (with the DH), but I root for the Yankees. Yes, that is right - the Evil Empire. Throughout all of baseball, no team has a greater history even if the club was established 25 years after the Reds and Cubs.

As you can see, I am mostly an original 16 team guy.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    Say it aint so Megatron.

Some of my more enjoyable moments were watching the Cards lose to the Red Sox, Twins and Royals over the years. I know I know, at least they were in the World Series.

I guess I rarely root for another NL team, but have always been able to root for various AL teams, which is strange as I strongly prefer the NL ball over the DH-ball. I guess I just cant root for someone the Cubs play.

• Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit surprised by Megatron too (although it is a friendly rivalry). Even though there are some Cub players I like, and I love Wrigley I never root for the Cubs. I can even root for the Astros when we are not playing them, but the Cubs never. There are only two teams I always root against the Cubs and the Red Sox besides that I'm just a fan and I like almost all teams.
  • Options
    Cards Fan - I admit it is a good friendly rivalry as well. I grew up in between neighbors who were Cardinal fans, went to college in central Illinois where the fan base is 50/50 and have been to over 100 Cubs/Cardinals games at both ballparks. There is no team Id rather have the Cubs beat. But, I can sit next to Cardinal fans at both ballparks and have an enjoyable time knowing its a fun, rather than ugly, rivalry.

• Options
    I am not sure what the word "team" means anymore. How about a compilation of drup using crybaby mercenaries. You want to root for these losers, be my guest.
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    Cubfan,
    I agree I really enjoy the rivalry. My only complaint is that is impossible to get Cubs/Cards tickets for regular price anymore. This year will be the first year in awhile we won't get to go to Wrigley because I never got through the virtual waiting room to be able to buy tickets before they were sold. The scalpors seem to get all the tickets which is a shame.
  • Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990
    The Columbus Clippers
  • Options
    The Portland Seadogs!
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I root for the Eagles and no other team in football.

In baseball, I root for the Phillies. I grew up with major Phillies, Red Sox, and Yankee influence so I took a liking to all three. When the Sox and Yanks play, I ALWAYS root for the Red Sox, and as of the last few years I no longer root for the Yankees, except to lose. I think it was the signing of Giambi and Arod (never could stand either one) and it has become fun to watch these guys lose ...
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards