Home Sports Talk
Options

ESPN to get MNF...

AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
...and NBC will get the sunday night game.

I pray pray pray that the dorks from ESPN doing the sunday night game are gone, but I highly doubt it. They are simply awful. I'd love to see the current MNF crew come over to ESPN (they are both owned by disney) and get rid of those goons. Theismann is the worst, but all 3 are bad.

Comments

• Options

<< <i>...and NBC will get the sunday night game.

I pray pray pray that the dorks from ESPN doing the sunday night game are gone, but I highly doubt it. They are simply awful. I'd love to see the current MNF crew come over to ESPN (they are both owned by disney) and get rid of those goons. Theismann is the worst, but all 3 are bad. >>

Any links or news sources?

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    Heard it on espnradio. Let me dig a link from the website.

Linky
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    I hope you are right about the broadcasters, I cannot stand them. I am happy with this since I don't get ABC in HD.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESPN just announced it on PTI

Steve
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting ABC losing it after 35 years. Somebody's head at ABC is going to roll.
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting ABC losing it after 35 years. Somebody's head at ABC is going to roll. >>

Why do you think that?

ESPN and ABC are both owned by Disney...no one's head is going to roll over this.

Disney can then market monday nights to build on their strong sunday night schedule.
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    abc wants it gone bc they are getting killed by the reality shows. mnf ratings are real bad. so this is abc choice.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    MNF needs an 8 PM start time ... screw the guys on the west coast image
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< ESPN and ABC are both owned by Disney >>>

The networks still compete just like GM owns Chevy, Buick, Pontiac, etc., but they still compete. MNF ratings were down but I doubt if ABC wanted to lose it. Somebody's head at ABC will roll.
  • Options

<< <i><<< ESPN and ABC are both owned by Disney >>>

The networks still compete just like GM owns Chevy, Buick, Pontiac, etc., but they still compete. MNF ratings were down but I doubt if ABC wanted to lose it. Somebody's head at ABC will roll. >>

Still, just don't see whose head would roll.

Yes, the car divisions compete, but they are given direction by the CEO of the company what their place in the grand scheme of things will be. For example, Saturn is the smaller, friendlier car company meant to combat the lesser expensive european market, etc. etc. If the head of Disney wanted ESPN to hold MNF, then he'll give the head of progamming at ABC the word that this is the direction they are going to.

ABC isn't getting killed by anyone. It's NBC that's in desperate shape. Last ratings that came out had them fourth(!) behind FOX. This is from the network that just 2 years ago was head and shoulders above everyone in first place. ABC with 'Desperate Housewives' (consistently #1) and Extreme Home Makeover has brought that network back from the dead. CBS is solid, ABC second, and FOX third.

By moving the MNF franchise to cable, Disney assures themselves that anyone not already on cable or satellite that wants to watch it, now will have to. It's a brilliant marketing move, assures them of more money, and means no loss of revenue. I'd suspect that the Sunday night game was losing them money, and MNF means even more credibility to the ESPN brand.
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭

<< <i>By moving the MNF franchise to cable, Disney assures themselves that anyone not already on cable or satellite that wants to watch it, now will have to. It's a brilliant marketing move, assures them of more money, and means no loss of revenue. I'd suspect that the Sunday night game was losing them money, and MNF means even more credibility to the ESPN brand. >>

This is dead-on. By taking MNF off free TV and into the paying subscriber realm, they've increased the value of their product. Disney has been very savvy with their ownership of ESPN and using it to leverage cable companies. They keep increasing their franchise fees and also "bundling" other Disney cable channels with ESPN. You want ESPN? Then you have to carry Disney Only Commercials Channel, too. Brilliant!

Now, if NFL would only ditch Direct TV for cable on their NFL Season Pass. I know I'd pay for it if I could get it.
  • Options
    Heard today on the radio that ABC was losing in excess of $150 million per year. ESPN has a definite advantage in charging something like $3 per subscriber to the cable companies for carrying them.

Also heard that if someone wants to complain about losing MNF to cable, they are gaining sunday night football from cable, so that's basically a wash. ABC wouldn't have paid anything for sunday night football, as that juggernaut desperate housewives is TV's biggest show.

As far as commentators, Madden's contract ends in 2005. So it's not an automatic that Madden and Michaels comes over from ABC.
  • Options
    Theismann already stumping to keep his job when it goes to monday night...here's hoping he gets shown the door (along with the 2 other guys from that broadcast)!

On Colin Cowheard's show this morning on espnradio, he was interviewed as saying that his crew should be given the opportunity to continue what they started on sunday night.

Ugh.
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    What they started was the worst broadcasting crew in the game. I don't know if I'll be able to watch the Monday night games if they keep those clowns in booth.
  • Options
    ABC turned it into a joke. Hope ESPN can do a more professional job.