Home Sports Talk
Options

Great to see Braves struggle with the closer role!!

kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
man this is awesome! i hope they keep smoltz as a starter. they are idiots if i was a braves fan id rather see smoltz 80 games then 35-40!!

kolb is stinking it up! man i love to see them miss the playoffs this year!

Comments

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>
    kolb is stinking it up! man i love to see them miss the playoffs this year! >>

Too bad for you the braves will make the playoffs (again) as the wild card and the marlins win the division...opps means the mets will be sitting home (again).
  • Options
    damn my hemroids are back(axtell)!

why you gotta attack me on this post? has nothing to do with the mariners. and braves are not impressing me at all this year. they are very weak at 2 OF spots! furcal batting a big 207. dont think its there year. there new closer is garbage, only way i see them making it is moving smoltz back to the closer.
  • Options

<< <i>damn my hemroids are back(axtell)!

why you gotta attack me on this post? has nothing to do with the mariners. and braves are not impressing me at all this year. they are very weak at 2 OF spots! furcal batting a big 207. dont think its there year. there new closer is garbage, only way i see them making it is moving smoltz back to the closer. >>

Well it's ironic that you are attacking the braves in what seems like a jealousy post. And I wasn't attacking, just your implication that the mets would somehow be able to hang all year with the braves and marlins being so strong.

And the new closer is garbage? All closers struggle in april...it's a fact. Believing a team like the braves with the managerial and coaching staff they possess will struggle is a bit naive if you ask me.

Remember last year? The 'rebuilding' year for Atlanta? How many games did they win the division by again?

My point is you can never every count Atlanta out.
  • Options
    ok i agree you can never count them out!

answer me this though. smoltz 80 games probably 45+ saves to smoltz 35-40 games around 18 won? doesnt make sense to me. this guy is the best at that role gagne also. i dont think cox will let it slip away before he ask smoltz to go back.
  • Options
    I think they needed him in a starting role a lot more than closing. They figure they could use him more as a starter than as a closer. Also, he's a regular on the dan patrick show and it's easy to see he'd much rather start than close.
  • Options
    I agree with you completely on this one Kuhlman, Kolb is a POS. The Braves really dropped the ball on this one, Smoltz is the best closer they have and they're wasting him by starting him. Non-strikeout pitchers can't be closers, it's been proven over and over again. There have been alot of them that can have 1 great year, maybe 2, but it all catches up to them. Although not a closer, I remember when Black Jack started and watching him you knew (or I did anyway), that you can't fool people forever with this garbage when you can't dominate them. Kolb will be out of the majors in 2 years--if he lasts even that long.
    Jay
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    The main thing here is that Smoltz did not want to be a closer. He hated it, felt it attributed to the injury he had two season's ago. Sure, I guess the Braves could have made him, but they chose to make him happy and I like that decision. They are a worse team because of it, Kolb is a very good pitcher but not a great closer.
  • Options
    if i own a team and im paying 100 million to win. i dont care if he is happy! you close bc they are better off with him as a closer. its a job and he is the best at that position! hey im a mets fan so im glad, but i think its a bad decision by the braves.
  • Options

<< <i>if i own a team and im paying 100 million to win. i dont care if he is happy! you close bc they are better off with him as a closer. its a job and he is the best at that position! hey im a mets fan so im glad, but i think its a bad decision by the braves. >>

And you dont think that (a) he's deserved to have a preference and (b) also, wouldn't someone perform better in a job they are happier in?
    I am sure the braves felt that he would be better suited as a starter than a closer now.