Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

I am completely and totally OBSESSED with . . .

VICTORIA......the Queen, don't you know!! image

Does anyone know any specifics about this series of Gaming tokens? I find it odd that Vic's engraving is quite Wyon-like as opposed to the cartoon-ish version on say the, "To Hannover" tokens.

Is it possible the Royal Mint allowed use of dies with only the headpunch? Were dies with less than perfect features sold for token use after punching in the 'CIVILIZATION' lettering? image

I ponder these issues because the reverse was engraved by a far less accomplished and skilled engraver.....even the lettering is different.

Anyway, the composition would appear to be brass, or a brass-washed copper flan.

Any ideas or theories??? Let 'em fly!!

Comments

• wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    Very Wyon-like obverse and quite nice. There's even an ornamental fillet.

What's the size of the token?
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What's the size of the token? >>

imageWell, it's gone bloody missing!! image
    It's actually back in the bank as of this afternoon, but it's about 21mm or so. I'll dig it back out and bring home my new Mitutoyo calipers this weekend.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

That funny-lookin' dude on the reverse looks like his chair is about to collapse.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

<< <i>looks like his chair is about to collapse. >>

Yep, that's what I mean. The perspective and proportions are all wrong. The gaming chips are 'round' on the tabletop instead of elliptical, and, the chair is a riot, eh?
    His proportions are tad goofy too.....DaVinci wouldn't be amused, nor Benedetto. image
  • ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    "Keep Your Temper"

Only on the Darkside! I like it--very, very cool.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Hi,
    there seem to be some initials on the truncation - something looks like an A?
    I doubt the Royal Mint would have any involvement.
    Maybe the engraver had some good examples to copy - ie Wyon, for the obverse
    but then had to do the reverse himself?

Teg
    Good eye, Teg. Yes, there is an incused 'A' on the truncation....no evidence of a W.W.