Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Old Clank pays the toning tax....

I had to buy this coin. It just spoke to me. It fits two of my quirky collecting habits. (1) I love mint state Canadian coins from the year 1965, and (2) I love coins with green as a dominant color in the toning.

I also prefer mayonaise with french fries.

Clankeye's Ultra Expensive Jaw Dropping Rarity

Boy, it's been so long since I've started a thread, I almost had forgotten how to do it.

PS--I did not buy the coin for the number on the holder.

Clankeye
Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could swear that coin has been posted here before. Maybe not in the PCGS plastic, but it looks really familiar. I remember the fingerprint and that rectangular area in the toning (apparently from some old paper?)

I'll withold my own personal opinion of the coin. image I'm glad you like it and it's good to see you, though. image

Oh, and there were some good things that came about in 1965. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    Oh man!!! I've owned it for ten minutes and LM ruins it for me! image

I know it's not to everyone's taste--especially those who consider it tarnished (like a surprising number of Canadian collectors) but... I even like the fingerprint action.

See, you remembered the coin, LM--it's got... character.

I think it will be very nice in hand. Green... I love green. I guess I could just look at a dollar bill but... green (sigh).

Clankeye
  • Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405
    Toning tax get's us all at one time or anotherimage

I like it.
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    I absolutely LOVE it.

In fact, I bought my first two TONED canadians a few weeks ago:

• Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

Pics instead on links:

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Awesome coin, Carl. Green is one of my favorite colors also.image
  • Options
    Thanks, Kyle. image

JZ--yes, I can see why you sprang for those. Really nice color--especially like the 71.

Clankeye
  • Options
    VERY nice Clank....i watched that one too!!!!image
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Still have those Lightside Commem toners?
  • Options
    I have a couple Mr. Mac.

But, I don't have nearly as many as I used to. I still have a complete set of Washington Carver commems. Aside from that, just the random coin that has caught my fancy.
  • Options
    Nice one. I see Carl has gone Canadian on us. image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    An update on this--I just received the coin in the mail. It's a stunning coin. Far nicer than the picture indicates. The toning is much more irridescent and colorful than the seller's picture--it's not as dark. Very vibrant.

I am really pleased with it, because I did have a moment there where I was asking myself "why are you paying that money for that coin." Well, it's here and I'd do it all over again. In fact, in hand, I'd have paid more. All's well that ends well. image

*And I'd post a pic, but I know my camera wouldn't capture the true color any better than the seller did.

Clankeye
  • Options
    Send it to me I can take a picture. image

By the way someone named Funk Mason invaded my Ipod. image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options

<< <i>By the way someone named Funk Mason invaded my Ipod. >>

Cool, Bill! The two-headed singing monster that is Funk Mason.

Mr. Mason and I just enjoyed a neat weekend playing up in Canada on Bowen Island, which is not far from Vancouver. It was rumored that Harrison Ford had just purchased a $13 million dollar home on this little bit of paradise.

At this moment I am enamored of all things Canadian. From their coinage to their very responsive, friendly audiences. It's always a pleasure to go up there.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great looking Canadian half... unfortunately, the comment about the french fries was equally a stunner and you need to see Pulp Fiction if you haven't already done so.image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>unfortunately, the comment about the french fries was equally a stunner and you need to see Pulp Fiction if you haven't already done so. >>

Oh oh.

I have seen Pulp Fiction, but I don't remember the reference. It must have something to do with Uma though....
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, it is in the dialog between Travolta and Sammuel L. Jackson and it is funny imho, and because the coment was not topical, I offer an apology....image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>and because the coment was not topical, I offer an apology.... >>

No apology necessary. I'm the dork that brought up mayo in the first place. image

But, one last point about coins, toning and this thread. This particular coin is a good example of why people who chase toning, chase toning. Because, what you have is a common coin made uncommon. At least uncommon to the owner.

I have seen coins I used to own offered on eBay years later, and I know it is a coin I owned. That idea of owning something with some unique characteristic to it... that's attractive. And whereas I realize toning is not the only attribute of a coin that can make it stand out from the crowd, or add this uniqueness, it can certainly go along way toward contributing to it.

Oh well, enough about what it basically a pretty common Canadian coin with a little rust on it. image