Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just got grades back. Boy what a beatin!

OneyOney Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭
I do not understand the grades for the 79-S and the 80-CC. I will post the pictures in a moment that I took before they were sent off. Time to re-evaluate my skills! image

LINE # CERT # COIN DATE DENOMINATION VARIETY COUNTRY GRADE
1 1878-CC S$1 USA MS63
2 1879-S S$1 USA Altered Surfaces
3 1880-CC S$1 USA Cleaning
4 1882 S$1 USA MS63
5 1891-S S$1 USA MS62PL
6 1897 S$1 USA Cleaning
7 1901-O S$1 USA MS65
8 1904-O S$1 USA MS65

Date Received: 03/11/2005
Date Shipped: 03/31/2005

Brian

Comments

• Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    Wayne
  • Options
    BigGreekBigGreek Posts: 1,090
    7 1901-O S$1 USA MS65
    8 1904-O S$1 USA MS65

not too bad here!

Please check out my eBay auctions!
    My WLH Short Set Registry Collection
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Time to re-evaluate my skills! >>

Your skills might be just fine, and PCGS wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    The 78-CC was a crack out from an ANACS MS64 holder.
    The 01-O was a crack out from an OGL PCGS holder MS-65.

I had the 80-CC around MS64
    I had the 79-S at MS65/66
    I had the 82 at MS65.

I just sent in 12 more and now I fear those results.......especially the 91-CC that was a crack out from an OGL PCGS MS63 holder.
    Brian
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    image Harsh.

Sounds like you are having some of my submission troubles.

-----------

etexmike
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    I do Mercs and haven't gotten the AT/Cleaning type issues but I'm submitting coins that last year were making 65, 66, 67 grades and this year I've only made one 65 and the rest 64's and 63's...and every attempt to cross from NGC (with even a lower min grade) went DNC. I put a 64 I just recently made next to a 66 I made in December and it's the identical coin (in fact they came from the same set).

They are either really getting tight, and they should notify us if so, or David needs to sit down with his graders.

This aint right, man image
  • Options
    One of the coins, 1891-S, I bought from Ron when you were there, Merc. We both agreed it was an 63DMPL. Well, we both must be seeing things.
    Brian
  • Options
    I've heard many people suggest always crack out coins before submitting. To me that is crazy unless you are a super expert grader. Lots of people have cracked out coins and get body bags. Once the coin is cracked the guarantee is void. If the coin starts in a PCGS holder PCGS will crack it anyway...

In the first post you are upset about the first two bags, but don't mention the '97-S. Did you think that one might have been cleaned? I talked with several clients who didn't want to believe me when I suggested their coins might have been lightly cleaned, even though they were previously slabbed...

I got crushed about two or three years ago on trying to cross some NGC Mercs. I think I will take a good look at mine again as the PCGS Mercs do seem to bring much stronger money. I thought PCGS was harsh on the Mercs then. If I try I will report here first.
  • Options
    I was suspicious about the 1897. Hence why I was not surprised.
    Brian
  • Options
    Good post Carl. I have a few $2-1/2 Indians I was planning on cracking out of NGC holders to see how they graded at PCGS, but the more I looked at them under 7x magnification the more I knew I really don't know that much about them to take those chances. So, it was either leave them in the NGC holders and continue the series or sell them off. The more I looked at the PCGS Indians the more I thought it wasn't the thing to do to keep the ones I have. Live & learn. eBay has them as we speak. image
  • Options
    I have had relative good success cracking out older PCGS coins and resubmitting and getting upgrades. I was once told that grading is more strict around on site grading shows. Not something I can prove just someone else's opinion!
    Brian
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    I will no longer submit PL or DMPLs to PCGS. They have a habit of calling them, "altered surfaces". Odds are they will slab at NGC or ANACS.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Good post Carl. I have a few $2-1/2 Indians I was planning on cracking out of NGC holders to see how they graded at PCGS, but the more I looked at them under 7x magnification the more I knew I really don't know that much about them to take those chances. So, it was either leave them in the NGC holders and continue the series or sell them off. The more I looked at the PCGS Indians the more I thought it wasn't the thing to do to keep the ones I have. Live & learn. eBay has them as we speak. image >>

Wise choice on that! PCGS has been savage and unpredictable on these. I've seen a few in new holders that are MS but appear to have bits of wear or quite a few hairlines, and conversely, I've gotten a couple back at AU58 that look super. A little irony here; I was considering cracking out of the PCGS holders and sending to NGC! After reading this, I'm just gonna punt--meaning, sit on them until "something" develops.
    By the way, I admire the humility of the experienced collector who admits a coin came back cleaned.
  • Options
    Thanks........
    Brian
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Heck, if you don't like the results resubmit. They often come back with different grades.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file