Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bust coinage question? Monogram on clasp question from 2005

LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have been noticing that on the clasp on Bust coins (Half dollar, Quarter, and Dimes) there is a monogram on the center of the clasp.

On a Half dollar, it looks like a script J
on a quarter it looks like a script M (sideways)
on the dime it looks like a script I

however I can't tell if the half dimes have the same thing.

Anyone know any information about this?

I'm talking about the clasp that holds the cloths on the left shoulder on bust coins from 1808 - 183X

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    No one know anything about this?
  • Options
    hughesm1hughesm1 Posts: 778 ✭✭
    I believe the J on Bust Halves is John Reich's mark of dies he personally prepared.
    Mark
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe these are actually merely engraver swirls not monograms. As for a J marking the half dies personally created by John Reich, it is believed that his mark was actually a notch on the inner point of star 13.

Jim
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    VarlisVarlis Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe these are actually merely engraver swirls not monograms. >>

That's what I always thought, too. I know on quarters the prominence and visibility of these marks vary greatly depending on strike and issue. On a particularly well-struck coin, then, the mark may appear to be an "S" or sideways "M," but I don't think they're actually meant to be letters.

If anyone has other specific information on this, I for one am interested.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I believe these are actually merely engraver swirls not monograms. >>

That's what I always thought, too. I know on quarters the prominence and visibility of these marks vary greatly depending on strike and issue. On a particularly well-struck coin, then, the mark may appear to be an "S" or sideways "M," but I don't think they're actually meant to be letters.

If anyone has other specific information on this, I for one am interested. >>

Sounds like a good question to ask in the John Reich Journal Varlis image

I just took a look at my XF Half-Dime, and I can see what looks like a U under 60x Magnification... but I don't see it on others... though that could just be because of the amount of wear...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe bust coinage questions should be a theme today?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe these are actually merely engraver swirls not monograms. As for a J marking the half dies personally created by John Reich, it is believed that his mark was actually a notch on the inner point of star 13.

Jim >>

Reich placed his mark, the notched star, on his $5 gold piece and half dollar dies. I don't believe that he did for other denominations, but perhaps others could set me straight about that.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TTT because it applies to information in another post from today

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file