Home U.S. Coin Forum

QUESTION ABOUT DIPPING COINS

There has been a substatial amount written on this forum about dipping coins. I haven't dipped any coins, but curiosity is getting the better of me. So, I ask the following question(s) to you esteemed numismatic scholars image ......
1. Where does one go to get the stuff (acetone) to dip coins? Can it be picked up at stores like Home Depot, Menards, Hobby Lobby?
2. What's the name of it?
3. What exactly are the steps used in dipping a coin?
4. What kind of stuff will dipping take off?
And last but not least.........

5. Is is considered "cleaning" a coin if it is done?

Thanks for the help,
Pete

Comments

• I won't give you the answers 'cause dipping is evil
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acetone is not really a dip. I know that sounds crazy.
    Most folks call using something like Jewluster? a dip.
    They are an acid. Acetone removes most organics but no metal.

Larry

• FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Remember, Once an original skin coin is dipped, it can never be undipped. See sig line below.

Conservation for protection of the coin is a different story. Using acetone to remove PVC contamination or contaminents on the surface (not part of the surface) is acceptable for the protection of the surfaces. But to dip a coin to remove unattractive toning will alter the surfaces and is unacceptable IMO.
  • 1- dip it. ez dip...
    2 -swish in distilled water and banking soda. then rinse a little more with distilled water
    3 -dip it in pure acetone or, rubbing alcohol blow it dry.

any questions?
  • Acetone doesn't qualify as a dip in the coin sense of dipping. It's just called acetone, buy it at any Home Depot, paint store, hardware store, etc. It simply removes contaminants and doesn't affect the coin surface. You can't tell an acetone bath coin from one that has never had an acetone bath. It can work wonders for some coins.

EZ-est is the familiar dip used in a diluted form that the term "dipping" refers to. There are certain times when it is actually a good idea for certain coins.

MS70 is simply a soap based cleaning compound and works wonders for haze on proofs. I've gotten rid of milkspots with it. Though not always.

Any type of silver or metal cleaner should NEVER be used. It will strip a coin of all luster and leave it flat and looking very much cleaned(and ruined).

In spite of what some say, there are times when coins need to be treated with acetone, EZ-est or MS70. It's an individual thing with different coins.

I once purchased a 90-CC Morgan that looked horrid, it had been left in an old metal tool box for decades. I got it very cheap! A 30 second bath in acetone produced a BU coin and later a PCGS slabbed MS64. Yes, I made a nice profit on it. That was a coin that was begging for acetone. Had the acetone not done the job, a diluted dip in EZ-est was next. Thankfully, it wasn't needed.

Hope that helps.

Edited for spelling image
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff

• << <i>I once purchased a 90-CC Morgan that looked horrid, it had been left in an old metal tool box for decades. I got it very cheap! A 30 second bath in acetone produced a BU coin and later a PCGS slabbed MS64. Yes, I made a nice profit on it. That was a coin that was begging for acetone. Had the acetone not done the job, a diluted dip in EZ-est was next. Thankfully, it wasn't needed. >>

To clear this up the question is, did you rinse in water after the acetone bath?
    how did you dry it?

• << <i>

<< <i>I once purchased a 90-CC Morgan that looked horrid, it had been left in an old metal tool box for decades. I got it very cheap! A 30 second bath in acetone produced a BU coin and later a PCGS slabbed MS64. Yes, I made a nice profit on it. That was a coin that was begging for acetone. Had the acetone not done the job, a diluted dip in EZ-est was next. Thankfully, it wasn't needed. >>

To clear this up the question is, did you rinse in water after the acetone bath?
    how did you dry it? >>

No drying needed. Acetone evaporates so quickly, you don't need to worry about it. I used a bath to rid the nasty crud and then a quick swish in a fresh container of clean acetone and then laid it out on a clean piece of terrycloth. It was dry instantly. Some people use alchohol or distilled water for a rinse. I've never seen the need to do either.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Is soaking in hot soapy water (dish soap) for a few minutes and then rinsing in cold water (no rubbing, no scrubbing) considered a bad thing? Does it damage the surface of the coin and affect the grade?

A few months back, I got a great deal on eBay for 10 early 60's mint sets that were in a sorry state. At least one coin in each set had broken out of it's pocket and was able to clink against other coins in the cellophane. They were UGLY, just as the seller described, and I got them for just about the silver value. All the silver was covered with an ugly dark brown tone (not black spots) or a white haze like film. All but one of the nickels and cents were nicely toned, but as I said, the silver was not pretty.

A few months back, I got a great deal on eBay for 10 early 60's mint sets that were in a sorry state. At least one coin in each set had broken out of it's pocket and was able to clink against other coins in the cellophane. They were UGLY, just as the seller described, and I got them for just about the silver value. All the silver was covered with an ugly dark brown tone (not black spots) or a white haze like film. All but one of the nickels and cents were nicely toned, but as I said, the silver was not pretty.

Considering my limited investment in this ugly looking silver, I decided to dip them (ohhhh, no!). The instructions on the Dip's bottle said to soak the items to be cleaned in hot soapy water before dipping. I did as it said and was amazed to find out that the hot soapy water alone did an amazing job. After a little swishing around, I had nice bright shiny silver. I then rinsed them in cold filtered water, 'canned' air dried them and I was done. NO DIPPING REQUIRED.

I later tried this hot soapy water thing on other silver with black carbon spots. It did not work well on that -- the silver remains stained where the black carbon was. But IMO, it looks much nicer.

So I know this is technically cleaning coins -- but does simply rinsing a coin make it grade as 'CLEANED' -- in the same category as whizzing or using a toothbrush with baking soda?
    -----
    KR
  • I understand the resistance to dipping (not an acetone bath, which can be a good thing) but some coins cry out for a good dipping.

http://coins.heritagegalleries.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=394&Lot_No=3163

This coin, a 1901-S Barber quarter, is graded N65, but to me, is seriously fugly. Who feels it is wrong to conserve such a coin by dipping it? And why? Don't you think the upside outweighs the downside? Does this look like an original skin? If not, what's the harm?
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Cleaning, Dipping, whatever you want to call it. Just be prepared for the worst if you take a chance. The only time I would do anything would be to remove hazing of milk spots from a proof coin as an earlier post mentioned. I personally like toned coins so if you get a high grade ugly coin and clean it, then there is no toning left so it would no longer be a candidate for me to spend big bucks. If I needed a filler I would buy a low grade coin and in this case only would I consider a bath or cleaning.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file