Home Sports Talk
Options

Hey sports fans

Thought the board could use a different topic to discuss besides roids and the NCAA tourney

I saw an upcoming promo about a documentary coming up soon on HBO about Villanovas upset win over Georgetown 20 years ago. Now being a huge Hoya fan since 81 and being absolutely crushed when Nova upset G-town in 85 it got me thinking of some of the most devastating losses i've witnessed my teams endure.

Just thought it be cool for everyone to list their top 3 most dissapointing losses you've seen your teams go through

( Could be a single game or a series )

my top 3 in no particular order

49ers win over Cowboys in Championship Game . " The Catch "
Villanova upseting Georgetown in NCAA Finals
Mets losing to Dodgers in 88 Playoffs

Comments

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. 1981 AFC Championship, Raiders beat the Chargers
    2. 1982 AFC Championship, Bengals beat the Chargers
    3. 1995 Super Bowl, 49ers beat the Chargers
    4. 1984 World Series, Tigers beat the Padres
    5. 1998 World Series, Yankees beat the Padres

Steve
  • Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990
    I think you know what my answer will be.

By the way, in 1985 I lived in Poughkeepsie, NY and I saw Marist play Villanova. A gawky freshman named Rik Smits was on Marist and Marist lost by 11 points but gave Villanova a good game. A few months later who would have thought?
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    1) This years World Series (although I still refuse to admit it happened)
    2) 2001 Divisional series with Diamond Backs. Schilling outdueling Morris in game 1 1-0 and then again in game 5 2-1. The closeness of these games made it harder to swallow then blowing the NLCS 3-1 lead over the Braves in 1996.
    3) 1989 Flying Illini losing to Michigan in the final four.

I left off the Rams losing the Super Bowl to the Patriots because we had just won two years before so it made it a lot easier to get over.
  • Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    I can only come up with two. There have been a lot more, but there is a 25-way tie for 3rd:

1. Indiana loses to Kentucky in the Regional Finals, 1975, 92-90. That team was undefeated to that point. It would be a year and a half before IU lost again.

2. Cubs lose to Marlins in the "Bartman Game", 2003.

"Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    Super Bowl XXXIV Winning Tackle

Rams & Titansimage

The Rams defeated the Titans 23-16 in Super Bowl XXXIV

With 1:54 remaining in Super Bowl XXXIV, McNair and the Titans got one more chance and
    went to work. A 27-yard quarterback scramble, a penalty, and a 16-yard pass helped move
    the ball all the way to the Rams 10-yard line with five seconds to play. Tennessee then
    called its final time out to design a play. The decision? A slant to WR Kevin Dyson who
    made the catch inside the 5-yard line and angled for the end zone. But Rams linebacker
    Mike Jones wrapped up Dyson and pulled him down, his outstretched arms landing less
    than a yard from the end zone.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dallas Stars 2, Buffalo Sabres 1 image (Stanley Cup finals, Game 6, June 20, 1999, three OTs)

The worst calls by officials, umpires or referees in sports history.

With 5:09 remaining in the third OT, Brett Hull, with his foot in the crease, scored the Cup-winner for Dallas. Lots of folks thought the goal illegal -- including plenty of Sabres. "Everybody is going to remember this as the Stanley Cup that was never won -- it was given away," said Joe Juneau. "The goal was not a legal goal. It's cheating, you know? It's not a loss. The game is not over, it's just not. They just decided to end it." It was the second-longest game in the history of the stanley Cup finals.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This years World Series!

Need I even bring this one up! image
    THANKS,

...1991 TOPPS Desert Shield Baseball Card Collector
    .....Since 1991 HOOAH!

S1991TOPPS@aol.com ">myemailaddress
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a UK fan.

1992 Regional Final vs Duke - GREATEST GAME EVER PLAYED.

1997 Championship game.

LAST NIGHT!!!

Shane

• Options
    JrMacdaddyJrMacdaddy Posts: 506 ✭✭
    1998 Mn Vikes v Atlanta Falcons NFC Championship Game
    1991 Mn N Stars v Penguins Stanley Cup Finals
    Superbowl XI Vikes v Raiders - a thorough trouncing by the Raiders
  • Options
    I guess I'm fortunate that I don't have many of these, but one that hurt was this year's New Year's Day game of GT/Kansas in men's hoops.

GT led by as much as 18, and looked to be running away with the game as Kansas' star player Simeon did not play due to injury, but GT's best player, BJ Elder also got hurt, and the 18 point lead was only 7 at the half. Kansas forced OT and won in OT. The kicker here was that in the 40 minutes of regulation Kansas NEVER LED. Not even for 1 second, it was a tough loss for GT.

Brian
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

No comment from an Eagles fan. image

I did thoroughly enjoy the 'Nova win over Georgetown.

Hopefully they will continue their comeback next year along with one or two other Philly Big Five teams.
  • Options
    1. Rick Monday homers off of Steve Rogers in 1981 to oust the Spos in their lone playoff appearance.
    2. Lanny McDonald (who was around 40 years old), scores a top corner goal against the most over-rated goalie in NHL history (Patrick Roy) to lead the Flames to the Stanley Cup IN Montreal at the Forum--this was the only time the Habs lost a Stanley Cup on home ice.
    3. Roy again lets in a slap shot from just over center-ice to Cam Neely as the Bruins oust the Habs in Game 7 ( I think it was in 1991 or 92). Again, Roy shows no ability to make a big save when needed ( although I will admit he won the series against the Rangers in 86, although I could have played in net against the Flames as we dominated them).

Roy ends up playing 9 years in Montreal and is responsible for 1 playoff round win while he is responsible for countless playoff losses letting in garbage goals over and over again. When Montreal's fortunes turn he decides to get out of dodge by making a huge scene (again in a game where he allows a tonne of goals against Detroit, the majority of them easily stopable), and forces a trade to a better team. He goes on to Colorado and in his last year allows most likely the worst goal I've ever seen against Minnesota where he doesn't even move to attempt a save.
    Jay
  • Options
    FACT: Barry Bonds took steroids.