Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Reason Nice Classic Head Large Cents Are So Tough

A few weeks (?) ago I saw a post on Classic Heads asking why they are so tough in decent condition. The standard myth of being struck on porous planchets was repeated. However, the real reason is that copper prices spiked during the War of 1812 and the Classic Heads were largely melted for their metal content. This is no mere speculation on my part. Rather, it is quite nicely documented in the historical record.

In brief:
    The Mint records note the 1807, 1811, and 1812 receipts of copper planchets from Boulton arrived in good order. No complaints about quality or packing.
    Papers from the Hendricks familty collection (largest copper importers of the time) and US Statistics show that copper peaked at about 80 cents per pound or twice face value during the war.
    A Congessional motion in 1816 by Rep. Elias Root (Annals of Congress, 14th Congress, 1st Session, pp. 694 - 695) notes that copper cents and half cents had been melted for their metal.
    On Nov 13, 1813, the Treasurer of the US ordered a halt to the distribution of copper coins. (Although by this late date it amounted to little more than shutting the barn door after the horse got out.)
Nor was this the only melt. Melting also occured during the Civil War. And, the biggest cent melt of all was conducted by the US Mint itself- as part of the redemption policies, from 1857 - 1880 some 38 MILLION large and half cents were melted!

In sum, the Classic Heads are geneally poor because we are left with "the bottom of the barrel".

Article here for those interested in the full story.

Comments

• Options
    Great article, is this being submitted to EAC / Penny Wise?
  • Options
    RittenhouseRittenhouse Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great article, is this being submitted to EAC / Penny Wise? >>

It was published there a few years ago.
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    It was so nice to read a post on true numismatic history, instead of the drivel consuming the boards this weekend. Thanks for your contributions to the forum.
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great article! Thanks for sharing the info. Here's a pic of a nice FYI. K

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. I'm grateful for anything anyone cares to tell me about classic head large cents, as I've been finding the info nearly as elusive as the coins themselves. I'll be in the market for one at some point, but they appear to be an issue more riddled with pitfalls and traps for the uninformed than many other types. That said, I'm impressed with the couple that board members have picked up & posted in recent weeks.
    mirabela
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    image Someone actually posted numismatic related material!!! Awesome and thanks for sharing!!! Nic that's a "Great" coin!!! This ones not as nice but I like itimage Thanks again, Lee

• Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post and great article! I wish we had more like these on the forum.

However, I don't think it quite explains why it so tough to find large cents without problems. Wouldn't the problem ones be the first ones to be melted? And the ones in better condition more likely to survive?
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect that part of the reason "problem" cents were not melted before non=problem cents is the very reason that today they are viewed as problem cents. They were lost, buried, tossed into wells, sitting on the bottom of a river, etc. Thus they weren't available at the time for melting.

Jim
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is interesting to read.
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Rittenhouse, I wonder what the total mintage of large cents was from 1793 to 1857?
    how many by % have survived?

tbig
  • Options
    RittenhouseRittenhouse Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>However, I don't think it quite explains why it so tough to find large cents without problems. Wouldn't the problem ones be the first ones to be melted? And the ones in better condition more likely to survive? >>

DDR, Put on your thinking cap a bit. You're thinking like a 21st century collector when LCs are a collector coin not a 19th century ave. Joe who sees these in circ every day. In their time, LCs were as common as Lincoln Memorials today. Do you fret about the handling and saving of pristine 2005 cents?

For the early melts during the Napoleonic Wars and the War of 1812, LCs were current coin and they largely circulated in major Northeastern manufacturing and trade centers. Wouldn't you eagerly melt Sac Dollars for twice face value if you could just drop them off at a merchant down the street? During the War of 1812, some enterprising folks were literally taking delivery of cents from the Mint and carting them down the street to the copper merchants.

Then by 1857 for the "Great Mint Melt" LCs were not popular with the masses. They were heavy and, due to the pure copper, tarnished rapidly. Non-collectors (i.e. most of the population) were happy to get rid of them.

Thus most of the LCs, nice or not, went into the melting pot. The extant pop of copper then comes from 4 sources:

1. Early LC collectors - LCs collecting had caught on by the early 1850. The early collectors are the source of most of the spectacular commons and hi grade tough stuff we see today. See Bowers' American Numismatics before the Civil War.

2. The family box of old coins in a drawer. Like today's boxes and cans of wheat cents and bicentennial quarters, a fair amount (proprotionate to collectors who wanted one) of circulated LCs were saved in family collections. Lower grade LCs were once common enuf that B. Max Mehl offered to sell 100 ave circ. LCs (G - F) for $1.00, noting that "at this price they're cheap enough to throw at cats".

3. Hoards. Yes, LCs were hoarded. Quite a few nice LCs have come out of hoads. See Bowers's American Coin Hoards and Treasures.

4. The odd saved coin or two.

The major sources are, of course, 1 - 3, with the really major nice stuff from # 1.

#2 accounts for most of the problem stuff. They were pulled from circulation, often not in the greatest condition to start with and then sat unprotected in boxes, cans, and envelopes. They were handled by the family. While this goes back 20 years or more, I can still remember seeing cans and boxes of early coins that had unfortunately been ruined cause they sat in the garage or cellar.

The odd saved coin or two will likewise account for addtional low grade problem pieces and the occasional spectacular find.

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting and a reasonable hypothesis. We owe a great debt, though, to the collectors that were there in the past as well as to the accidental preservation in bank vaults and various hoards.
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    I really hate this forum sometimes. You get a nice thread like this with some genuinely interesting information, and now all of a sudden I got a LC jones like you wouldn't believe. You guys are going to bankrupt me someday image...
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any truth that poorer conditions are partially due to them being carried around in leather pouches?
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    Good thread, thanks! I glad the LC collectors started when they did.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    YES!!!! More conversation on LC's and lots of great info!! Thanks!!!!
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Good thread, thanks! I glad the LC collectors started when they did. >>

Wow, that's a beauty. The red luster off that image is probably making my neighbors think I'm running a brothel.

Do you think the original owner of that coin was ridiculed in 1850 by his peers as a loser modern collector?
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you think the original owner of that coin was ridiculed in 1850 by his peers as a loser modern collector?

No.

Nor did the original owner of that coin pay many many (many) multiples of face for it, either.

If he had, they'd have ridiculed him. image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doing some research. Deleting some threads. Thought this one should come back! image . K
  • Options
    joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    If you add up the numbers from Redbook -- 156.4 million

Survivors -- a great debate, particularly for half cents

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file