Home Sports Talk
Options

McGwire Today's Biggest Loser?

AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
Everyone else agree?

He dodged and avoided every question, unable to believe that someone dares question his great american hero status.

He repeatedly stated that 'it's not my place to say' or just outright avoiding the question.

Any doubters out there must now no he injected roids, and take those records and put a little needle next to them (hell, do the same for every HR mark from 1993 on).

Comments

• Options
    Perception is reality (I think a Congressman said that during the hearings).

The perception of Mcgwire hiding steroid use is more alive than ever after his statements.

I like how Curt Schilling kept saying that steroids was not a big problem, and Canseco was a big liar, and then right at the end of the player hearings they quoted his comments in a SI interview from a year or two earlier where he was complaining about how "big or a problem steroid use is becoming in MLB, and how it must be addressed." He could barely respond after that....what a JOKE!!! It was great!!

They were calling players and management out all day by comparing their current comments with previous public statements on the issue, and everytime they made them look bad....real bad.

I don't think the players or MLB were really prepared for today's events.
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    They also made canseco look like his book was total cr@p! everything he said was against his book. he is an idiot.

funny congress bought up this has been a problem for 30 years. that is fact today. and i bet it was around since the 40's.

yes i agree mac looked bad today. he took them bonds did also. there was no need to do that to him. he never put baseball in a bad light he saved the game got the fans back.

He might come out looking like the smarter of the 3 though. bc he didnt deny. palmeiro and sosa can get jail time if concrete evidence comes up.
  • Options
    Was funny to have Selig and Fehr completely undressed up there. These two morons are not used to people publicly questioning, let alone berating them like they had tonight. Raffy was the only one who looked prepared, but anyone who looks objectively at his stats can ONLY come to the conclusion he juiced.

Will be very interesting to see what HR numbers are like this year, especially with the face of juicing, Bonds, on yet another surgery as his body continues to break down at an accelerated rate from all the juicing.
  • Options
    Im not into looking at stats.. but if one of you guys can do this check this.

piazza rolen bagwell just for starters first 4 years in the league. what are there stats?
  • Options
    Kuhlman, they(steroids) may have been around for a while, but by plainly looking at the body types AND knowing that baseball frowned upon weight training for the LOOOONGEST time, it is obvious that steroids were not in use in the Most of the 80's(except for maybe an extreme few with huge muscles like Canseco), and anytime before the 80's. Uranium was around for quite a while, and that doesn't mean nuclear bombs were.

They weren't even used much in the early 90's, again look at the body types and it is obvious to the eyes. The mid 90's is when steroid use AND the bodies started to get huge.

ALL THAT BEING SAID, STEROIDS IS ONLY ONE OF MANY REASONS FOR THE OFFENSIVE EXPLOSIONS. Tightly wound balls, smaller parks, smaller strike zones, double expansion ('93 and '98) coupled with a big decline in available population(which is one of the biggest causes of this crazy era) are big reasons. Not to mention a loss of many athletes to other sports that just weren't as popular 20 years previously.
  • Options

he looks pretty big also!!

• Options
    BIGMAC70 looked bad today...but BALCO73 would have looked as bad or worse if he were there. ALl his answers about previous steroid use would have been similiar.

"I am not here to talk about the past."

"My lawyer has instructed me not to answer that."

Bonds only got the rain check because this BALCO trial hasn't started yet, and might not now (I heard they may plea-bargain out of trial).

I want to see BALCO Bonds in the next session answer these questions.
  • Options
    Kuhlman Now go throught the rest of the 1957 set and see how many gusy DO NOT look big!! For every one example you come up with like Big KLU, you can come up with 500 examples that show the opposite.
  • Options
    "Big" Klu was only 6'2" and 225. He was big compared to many people during his time, but he would be normal today. Heck, Cal Ripken Jr. was taller and weighed the same. They called Jimmie Foxx the Beast and he was only 6'0" and 190. It just shows how the perception of "big" has changed over the years.

I do have to agree that of all that I saw of yesterday's hearings, McGwire lost the most luster. AND it was very entertaining to see the Congressmen of both parties just rail into MLB for a terrible program and for being remiss about the entire situation. They got hit hard.
  • Options
    I must agree - Congress made every one of these guys look like fools.

McGwire's crying during his "prepared statements" just, for me, tore everything down that he and "Corky" Sosa built-up during that one magical summer.

The best thing to do is just label this the "steroid-era" and leave-it at that.

Dal
  • Options

<< <i>I must agree - Congress made every one of these guys look like fools. >>

BIG GOVERNMENT IS GOOD. POLITICIANS DID NOT HAVE A SELF-INTEREST IN THESE HEARINGS AT ALL. THEY TRULY WANT TO HELP ALL THE YOUNG PEOPLE WITH THE "DANGERS" OF STEROIDS. NEXT ON THE AGENDA WILL BE UNDERAGE DRINKING AND SMOKING, BUT ONLY IF THE GOVERNMENT CAN FIND A WAY TO OFFSET THE LOST REVENUES. I'M SO HAPPY CONGRESS IS TRULY COMPRISED OF PEOPLE WHO CARE ABOUT THE GENERAL POPULATION.

I'M ALSO HAPPY THAT CONGRESS PRESENTED ONLY WITNESSES THAT STATED A CASE AGAINST STEROIDS. THE PEOPLE FOR STEROIDS SHOULD NOT BE HEARD BECAUSE THEY ARE PURE EVIL. THESE WITNESSES WERE "CONVINCED" AND HAD "DEFINITIVE PROOF" THAT THEIR KIDS WERE KILLED BY STEROIDS. I AGREE AND DON'T BELIEVE THAT IT HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE PARENTS BEING MORE FOCUSED ON A MATERIALISTIC LIFESTYLE AND DEPRIVED THEIR KIDS OF ATTENTION. STEROIDS ARE EVIL. I ACTUALLY HEARD THAT THE U.S. PLANS TO ATTACK ANY COUNTRY IN WHICH STEROIDS ARE LEGAL AND THEN FORCE THAT COUNTRY TO MAKE THEM ILLEGAL. ANYONE HEAR OF THIS? I'M ALL FOR IT.

STEROIDS SHOULD STOP BEING ADMINISTERED TO CANCER PATIENTS BECAUSE THEY JUST DO HARM AND NO GOOD. INSTEAD, JUST GIVE THE PATIENTS JIM BEAM, OLD STYLE, AND JAGERMEISTER TO GET RID OF THE PAIN. IT WORKS - JUST ASK HEROS LIKE MICKEY MANTLE. IT WORKED WONDERS FOR HIM. PLUS, THE GOVERNEMENT WILL BE ABLE TO TAX THE ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION. IN THE END, EVERYONE BENEFITS.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options

<< <i>McGwire's crying during his "prepared statements" just, for me, tore everything down that he and "Corky" Sosa built-up during that one magical summer. >>

Just like I heard on the radio this morning: Someone needs to get McGwire a set of panties on his way out of the hearings. That sissy couldn't handle himself in front of a bunch of fat white born into silver spoon evildoers.

For all these years, McGwire has stated that he got that big through hard work. Some idiots in the gym actually believed him and chased after a false dream. Now we find out that the got his body the easy way (a way not available to regular people), and he lied to us in the bodybuilding community the entire time. I could only imagine how pissed the young people are that chased that false dream.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For all these years, McGwire has stated that he got that big through hard work. Some idiots in the gym actually believed him and chased after a false dream. Now we find out that the got his body the easy way (a way not available to regular people), and he lied to us in the bodybuilding community the entire time. I could only imagine how pissed the young people are that chased that false dream. >>

I wouldn't say it was completely easy he was still a gym rat even if he got some help. As for the emotion he was always that way, he cried when he did the press conference for setting up his charity for abused children. In St.Louis between him and Vermeil we're used to that so we didn't even notice.
  • Options
    I don't think anyone is saying all steroids should go away. I think the overwhelming opinion is keeping them out of sports, especially so kids don't get their hands on them to emulate the sports heroes they see.

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Mark McGwire looked like a complete a** clown. What a jerk.

Milk the game, and when you can seeit in trouble, screw it, your're retired. Dont bother me.

Nice.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Some ESPN analyst was saying that McGwire's testimony will cost him a first ballot entry into the HOF.

I doubt it.
  • Options

<< <i>Some ESPN analyst was saying that McGwire's testimony will cost him a first ballot entry into the HOF.

I doubt it. >>

I wouldn't be too sure he gets in first ballot now.

His absolute waffling on the steroid issue yesterday will resonate with voters, and his inability to take accountability will cost him many first ballot votes. It wouldn't surprise me that his not being in the Hall yet is why he was so quiet on his testimony, as he didn't want to jeopardize his first-ballot status...but that's exactly what he did.
  • Options
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    As much as I like McGwire, I'm very dissappointed in his performance yesterday. If anything, his lack of response was more damning than if he were to just come right out and say it. He was the obvious loser.

If he was innocent, then he should have did the same thing that Palmiero did. Look Congress in the eye and just say he didn't do it. If he was guilty, then he should have been man enough to admit it. Baseball would have eventually forgiven him just like they are with Giambi right now. If it was a legal reason holding him back, then he could have simply said "Based on the advisement of my lawyer, I can't technically say certain things, but I will admit that I made several big mistakes in my life and I'm here today to make good on them. With that out of the way, let's talk about how we can clean up the game now". Sure, he would catch heat temporarily, but that would eventually pass. Now he's looking like a weasel and that takes forever to forget.
  • Options

No matter what Mark McGwire would had said... He would still receive all of this BS.

The sad thing about this issue is... Nothing will be done about it!!!
    THANKS,

...1991 TOPPS Desert Shield Baseball Card Collector
    .....Since 1991 HOOAH!

S1991TOPPS@aol.com ">myemailaddress
  • Options

<< <i>No matter what Mark McGwire would had said... He would still receive all of this BS.

The sad thing about this issue is... Nothing will be done about it!!! >>

Not true. Did you see how Raffy handled himself up there? He's admittedly the one who I think everyone has suspected of steroid use (so few home runs in his career, then his power numbers blew up after Canseco went to texas), but with the way he so forcefully denied any and all allegations, most everyone is believing him.