Home Sports Talk
Options

CONSECO HAS ABSOLUTELY NO CREDIBILITY

Just watched him a bit ago on CNN with Wolf Blitzer..apparently when Jose testifies before the House he will not repeat the accusations against players he made in his book..because, according to Jose's lawyer.."He'll be under oath and he will have to tell the truth." So he's taking the 5th! What a slime bucket.

I hope someone steps up to the plate (pun intended) and sues him for multi millions!!

Skip
I'll take the cards & flowers when I'm living and the BS when I'm dead!

ANGEL OF HOPE

Skip
TUSTIN CA

Comments

• Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    He may be an slime bucket but he is doing the right thing. Any lawyer who would tell him to not take the
    5th should be fired on the spot. Jose may be an idiot but indeed he is no fool.

aconte
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Obviously he has some credibility...otherwise, these hearings wouldn't be going on, and the steroid scandal wouldn't be as big a deal as it is.

If you honestly think that all of Canseco's allegations are false, then I'd have to respectfully call you naive.
  • Options
    They can't sue him because they cannot prove that they DID NOT do what he said they did. Just like it is nearly impossible now to ever PROVE that they did it. There was no testing back then so their is not a refrigerator with samples in it somewhere waiting to be tested.

As for taking the 5th, you would do it too if your lawyer told you to.

What would BALCO Bonds do right now if he were there? Take the 5th. He is not there because of his BALCO case that the lawyers are trying to work a deal on right now. The government gave Bonds a break by not making him come testify because the BALCO case has not happened yet, and may not happen by the looks of it.

So in the end, MLB will get away free and clear, and so will Bonds because there will be no BALCO case, so it will never really be proven how much he DID KNOW he was taking. All of that info will get burried in somewhere after a deal is made and there is no trial.

Atleast we do know this: BONDS took steroids because wether he knew or not (give me a break) he took them. He was informed by federal investigators that they were steroids.

Giambi admitted to the steroid use like a man.

Who do you think told Barry Bonds to say he "didn't know they were steroids" when questioned by the Feds? HIS LAWYER.
  • Options
    I can't believe you would actually say he has "no credibility" because he is taking the 5th.

You are a very stupid person if you really believe Canseco made 100% of this story up.

Bonds would take the 5th right now as well if he were there. So would a lot of players.

Mcgwire would take the 5th if he were smart, but we know he's not because he took steroids for years.

This is one big problem that has affected MLB for 20 years and they have known about it from day 1....but everyone is making it out like it is some big suprise now. What a joke.

And when people come forward and start naming names and telling about experiences (like Canseco) there is always some Nit-Wit who thinks it is all a lie. I think MLB pays people like you to post on these boards.

Or you are just a real idiot.
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    What habs71 is saying that he is taking the 5th because what was written in his book may not be true and he can not testify to it under oath. If you ask me that's a big hit on his credibility. Other accusations give his claim of wide spread steriod use credibility, but not necessarily his individual stories. I would think about this before you resorted to name calling.

• Options
    I know what he said. And I still think he is an idiot for saying it.

My point is simple.

If that was YOU, you would do the SAME THING, if instructed by YOUR LAWYER.

So to say that Canseco has "absolutely no credibility" because of that is just plain stupid...and idiotic, and nieve....etc.

• Options
    I agree with Mintluster.

It is a very silly thing to say Canseco has "no credibility."

Many other athletes (track and field stars) have said a lot of the same things Canseco did.

Canseco is just the first MLB player to blow the whistle.

Who really believes Bonds did not know what he put into his body? I think people who believe that are stupid.

Canseco's own previous teammate, Dave Stewart, who many people respect, said, "Canseco is a lot of things, but he is no liar."

Why would well-respected players defend Canseco, while he is being attacked by all the others, if he was lying?

Because he told the truth. And the truth hurts. Especially if you are MLB.
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    Dave Stewart only said he never knew Canseco to be a liar, and they don't seem like two guys who were very close. I haven't heard any other former ball players step up to plate for Canseco. Face it Canseco is not the poster boy of a stand up guy and whether he is telling the truth or not he was one the worst possible whistle blowers. His credibility will always be able to be quentioned and his lawyer did not help with a statement basically saying his book does not contain the truth.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    He's a money grabbing dikhead. After this, where will he go for income?? WWF maybe.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    Well, he can't take the Fifth on the basis that his testimony may create civil liability. I haven't done the math, but I'll betcha that the book hit the street shortly after any criminal statute of limitations had run. I don't think he'll refuse to testify. Every time he opens his mouth he sells another 1,000 books. Spilling his guts in Congress will make him enough money that he'll be able to buy his World Series ring back.
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    It's almost funny how much anger and hatred is being directed at Canseco...he brought to light (yes, for selfish reasons) a very troubling and BIG problem in baseball. If you fail to see it as a problem, you never will. If you fail to see it as a problem, you probably have no problem with people cheating at whatever they do.

I don't expect a great deal to come out of these hearings, but anything that shines a bigger spotlight on that spineless retard Selig and MLB's absolute refusal to admit steroids is a MASSIVE problem is a great thing.

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I tend to believe most of what Jose says in regards to steroid use in MLB, but where I think he has absolutely no credibility is his outlandish idea that there was this huge plot to drum and blackball him out of baseball. I find out it especially annoying that he'd also pulled the race card and say that he was discriminated against because he was "chicano". This piece may or may not have been written in his book, but he definitely shot his mouth off about it in an radio interview.
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    As others have said, he would be a fool to not take the 5th because he is NOT BEING GRANTED IMMUNITY, not because he is afraid to repeat his previous accusations while under oath.

He had asked for immunity so he COULD TALK under oath without incriminating himself, but they told him no immunities would be granted to anyone testifying.

I saw a report that said most of the players will probably be taking the 5th under the advisement of their legal councils.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    Let's see if I have this right..it's OK to accuse people of something, but when you're taken to task about it you just say " I don't want to talk about it."

Guess some of you were brought up with different values than me....In my world one stands behind what one says..regardless of the consequences. And you sure don't accuse folks unless you are willing to defend your accusations.

Something like this board where some like to post and call people names under the cloak of anonimity.

Mintluster, as you can see from my profile and sig. line I'm in SOCAL. If you happen to be nearby let me know and we can meet and you can call me an idiot to my face!! Or are you taking the 5th?

Skip

I'll take the cards & flowers when I'm living and the BS when I'm dead!

ANGEL OF HOPE

Skip
    TUSTIN CA
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    Something like this board where some like to post and call people names under the cloak of anonimity.Mintluster, as you can see from my profile and sig. line I'm in SOCAL. If you happen to be nearby let me know and we can meet and you can call me an idiot to my face!! Or are you taking the 5th?

Amen to that a lot of computer typing tuff guys on here.
  • Options

<< <i>Something like this board where some like to post and call people names under the cloak of anonimity.Mintluster, as you can see from my profile and sig. line I'm in SOCAL. If you happen to be nearby let me know and we can meet and you can call me an idiot to my face!! Or are you taking the 5th?

Amen to that a lot of computer typing tuff guys on here. >>

And you really think a physical confrontation over some words on a message board is the appropriate response to this?

• Options
    ...what a joke habs71. Someone calls you a name because you made a pretty dumb argument and you want to meet them on the street and beat them up?

Man you have issues. How can you be so sure you can take ML? Last I heard he was 6-2 and about 240......my money is on ML.

You better go run and hide Mintluster......habs is looking for you........
  • Options
    habs71 (Skip),

If your argument is silly, or stupid...I will tell you that.

Everytime. And that's the treatment I can expect if mine is the same way.

If you can't handle it, then don't make a stupid argument. Make one and back it up with something, anything.

You are the one said Canseco has "absolutely no credibility." Not me.

What do you base that on? After watching today's 11 hour long Congressional hearings, I would say Canseco has a lot of credibility. Has he exxagerated things sometimes or changed his story in some areas? Yeah, sure. So has Curt Schilling, Bud Selig, Barry Bonds, and a whole list of others.

I never said that 100% of Canseco's book was true. He definatly grandstands in it at times, and loves himself.

But there some degrees of truth to some of the things he said, and he has brought a big problem to light. Other MLB players and other athletes have backed up some of Canseco's comments and have agreed with him. Of course, you will not find a current MLB player that will acknowledge this, because everyone is scared of being the whistleblower. It draws a lot of attention to you, usually all negative. This is why Canseco did all of this after his MLB days were over, and it was apparent that they would not let him back in to play.

Plus Canseco said he would take a Polygraph to prove any of his comments and stories of what he saw in his career.

All of this is reason why I cannot believe you would make a comment, that I believe is very idiotic and nieve, like "Canseco has absolutely no credibility."

Retract that comment and I will retract mine.

Otherwise, grow up.
  • Options
    What these hearings showed me is that my disdain for Donald Fehr all these years is accurate more than ever. Bud Selig got torn to shreds the most, and he actually was agreeing with congress. It was made quite clear that the one guy, and his union, are the ones who are putting all the stumbling blocks in. Donald Fehr clearly avoided answering YES to any questin that would call for a tough or zero tolerance policey. Why? Because I am sure that quite a number of players feel the same way because they have a lot to lose. If they didn't have anything to hide, then Fehr would be saying exactly what Selig was saying...."I agree for even tougher policies than this one."

I hate looking at Donald Fehr. He needs to get his nose bloodied. Curt Schilling did major backtracking. The moron Sosa only denied using any "illegel" substance(yeah because his stuff wasn't illegal then, so he is actually telling the truth).

By the way, Palmeiro lied flat out. He said he didn't use any performance enhances...yet the big smile on his women's face said otherwise image. That is a joke. Palmeiro looked quite handsome today I must say!

AGAIN, REMEMBER THAT STEROIDS ARE ONLY ONE OF MANY REASONS FOR THE CAUSE OF THE CRAZY NUMBERS....I HAVE STATED ALL THE REASONS BEFORE AND ON ANOTHER POST, WITH POPULATION DECLINE AND EXPANSION BEING THE MAIN REASONS.
  • Options
    Good comments, I agree with you.

MLBPA is definately the roadblock to this process.

My reasons for the crazy numbers: Smaller parks, expansion/watered down pitching, steroids, growth hormones/other enhancers, and probably a juiced ball or two as well.

Steroids is one part of a bigger problem with "manipulated" or "manufactured" offensive numbers in this era 1994-2005.
  • Options
    Yeah, steroids create other problems, and that is they kill people...young people too! That is why this whole thing is being dealt with now. I personally don't care at all if MLB players use them, but I do care when it influences young people to do them. Young people need to realize that if you are not a MLB talent by your natural ability, then you are just NOT going to be one...plain and simple!

All these great players who are on roids were actually quite great before they ever took them, so young people need to realize that these great players were already great, and that steroids will be a false hope for them if they think it will get them to MLB. You have to be good enough plain and simple. They need to realize the real causes behind the big numbers, and I've shown them on these boards a bunch of times. Text
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    Put it this way, I'm a 33 year old guy who's big enough and strong enough so that I don't really need steroids at all. I have a career as an engineer that wouldn't be helped in any way by steroid use.

But I am intrigued by them, and, honestly, under the right circumstances, might actually use them just to see what the effects would be. This comes after seeing these guys on TV looking immense and performing incredible feats of strength and agility.

Now if a guy like me is intrigued enough to admit that I might use them when I have absolutely no need to, how do you think a 17 year old wannabe major leaguer is going to feel? He or she is going to feel tremendous pressure to use them because it seems like everyone else is, and the problems arise because a 17 year old isn't necessarily mature or educated enough to use steroids properly, and that's what will lead to major problems down the line, for himself most important, but for all professional sports since potential careers are being cut short by the very things that are supposed to ensure them.
  • Options
    Conseco is a JOKE...

He stated that now... He doesn't agree with what he wrote in his book... He stated that he wrote it almost two years a go and he thinks different today about this issue.

WHAT A LOSER....

My NEW web site and want list...
    THANKS,

...1991 TOPPS Desert Shield Baseball Card Collector
    .....Since 1991 HOOAH!

S1991TOPPS@aol.com ">myemailaddress