Home Sports Talk
Options

Proof that steroids don't help everyone

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris

Comments

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    He was not that good a player to begin with. I would like to see the stats of good/great player who allegedly used steroids and then stopped .... oh wait, I can just look at his brothers stats image
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    I wonder if walter payton took sterioids. image I bet he did.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< I wonder if walter payton took sterioids. >>>

He certainly died of an ailment that could have been caused by steroids.
  • Options
    didn't Mickey Mantle die from the same thing? (Liver failure) so did he use roids?
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    There's no doubt that steriods can help you but will not make you a great ballplayer. You mention the Giambi brothers, but don't forget about the originals - the Canseco boys, Ozzie would have loved to have Jeremy's career.
  • Options

<< <i>didn't Mickey Mantle die from the same thing? (Liver failure) so did he use roids? >>

Mickey Mantle died from being a loser drunk. He died from a condition (alcohol abuse) that claims about 85,000 lives a year. And it is not only the lives of losers like Mantle that it claims. It claims the lives of innocent people who are killed by losers like Mantle on a daily basis. I'm just glad that he acknowledged that he made a grave mistake before dying. It helped restore some credibility to his character.

Bonds will likely live well into his AARP age bracket before he dies.

However, Mantle could have used steroids as well. And if he didn't it was only because he was not aware of them.

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options

<< <i>There's no doubt that steriods can help you but will not make you a great ballplayer. You mention the Giambi brothers, but don't forget about the originals - the Canseco boys, Ozzie would have loved to have Jeremy's career. >>

And Jose would have loved those extra chromosomes that were used to make Ozzie. Along with steroids, those extra chromosomes could have helped Jose reach 500 career home runs. I heard that Jose doesn't talk to Ozzie to this day because of the chromosomes issue. Sad, just SAD.

• Options

<< <i>I wonder if walter payton took sterioids. image I bet he did. >>

Could be possible, although I don't believe it given the evidence provided.

• Options

<< <i>And Jose would have loved those extra chromosomes that were used to make Ozzie. Along with steroids, those extra chromosomes could have helped Jose reach 500 career home runs. I heard that Jose doesn't talk to Ozzie to this day because of the chromosomes issue. Sad, just SAD. >>

As for Walter he may have taken roids, but it would not change my opinion on him and I seriously doubt it will ever be an issue. As for Roids in the NFL, how exactly do those guys get that huge if they are not juicing?
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Steroids will not help you see the ball better and won't effect your home run numbers that much

Sincerely,

Javy Lopez
  • Options

<< <i>Steroids will not help you see the ball better and won't effect your home run numbers that much

Sincerely,

Javy Lopez >>

Yes, you can leave that to LASIK, not steroids. Then those cheaters like Glaus can increase their numbers as a result of LASIK. LASIK wasn't available to players like Mays, Ruth, etc., so it must be cheating.

• Options
    it helps you when you are getting older and it makes up for that.

Plus you are forgetting about the Growth Hormones that these guys were taking as well.

It makes a big difference when the Giants moved to a new ballpark in '99-'00 and suddenly the right field line was 20 feet shorter and BALCO Bonds home runs were going 50 feet further. All of that equals massive homerun numbers while you are getting older, past your prime, and your average of 35 homers a season suddenly jumps to 45 with highs like 73.

It helped certain player alright. It helped them quite a lot.

If it didn't, why would they have been doing it all these years?
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Boosts their confidence and so their game.. that's for sure.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Does anyone who actually has a brain think for a second that steroids don't help you?

If they didn't, why would these athletes expose themselves leagally and professionally, in addition to the well-known health risks, to steroids?

No, they don't help you hit the ball.

They help you recover faster from workouts, so you can hit the gym like a monster every day. They turn warning track power into home runs. They turn an 85 mph fastball into mid 90s stuff.

Steroids and growth hormones are a much bigger problem in baseball than anyone knows.
  • Options
    They help, but they don't make you a great ball player. They may be able to make a very good player a great one, but to what degree I doubt we will ever be able quantify.

<< <i>Steroids and growth hormones are a much bigger problem in baseball than anyone knows. >>

People know the question is whether or not they care. It's not just baseball, it's all of sports and it's not going to go away. They can only hope to reduce it.
  • Options
    great point Axtell - also it allows for pitchers to recover faster from pitching. The setup guys and closers are getting huge benefits from being able to pitch more often due to the faster recovery time.

Can you imagine what pitchers like Nolan Ryan, Bob Gibson, Satchel Paige and Steve Carlton could have accomplished with the use of today's steroids and HGH?
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>great point Axtell - also it allows for pitchers to recover faster from pitching. The setup guys and closers are getting huge benefits from being able to pitch more often due to the faster recovery time.

Can you imagine what pitchers like Nolan Ryan, Bob Gibson, Satchel Paige and Steve Carlton could have accomplished with the use of today's steroids and HGH? >>

It's my understanding, from all the steroid related reading I've been doing lately, that muscle enhancing drugs of this type is actually dangerous for pitchers because it weakens ligaments and tendons. Regulars players, by virtue of their position, do not stress these areas as often as pitchers and when they do, they tend to exhibit chronic injuries of this type as demonstrated by many of the suspected "users" thus far. Anyone remember when Jose Canseco tried his hand at pitching? As strong as he was, he seriously hurt himself in his very first outing and missed a good chunk of the season because of it. Steroids is probably the worst thing a pitcher can take.
  • Options
    Brian48 -

Jose Canseco's twin was a pitcher. He did steroids for years according to Canseco's book and to my knowledge he was not hurt at any time in his career - he was just not a good pitcher
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    You're talking about Ozzie? When was he a pitcher? If it was in his teens, he might have gotten away with it since the younger you are, the better you tend to heal, but I really doubt someone in his 30's-40's can take the stress.
  • Options
    Ozzie was a pitcher from the time he got into the minor leagues 1982 until mid 1990s when he reallized he was not going to make it as a pitcher
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭

<< <i>
    Mickey Mantle died from being a loser drunk. He died from a condition (alcohol abuse) that claims about 85,000 lives a year. And it is not only the lives of losers like Mantle that it claims. >>

Reminds me of a Mitch Hedberg quote:

"Alcoholism is a disease, but it's the only one you can get yelled at for having. "*amn it Otto, you are an alcoholic." "*amn it Otto, you have Lupus"... one of those two doesn't sound right. "
  • Options
    I think Brian48 was referring to the time Jose Canseco tried his hand in pitching in a blow out game, back in 1994 and injured himself.
  • Options

<< <i>Mickey Mantle died from being a loser drunk. He died from a condition (alcohol abuse) that claims about 85,000 lives a year. >>

"Alcohol Abuse" is not a "Cause of death" or a "condition". While alcohol did most of the damage, He died of when his liver stopped functioning, and they call that Liver Failure. (and that is what Sweetness died from as well)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Mickey Mantle died from being a loser drunk. He died from a condition (alcohol abuse) that claims about 85,000 lives a year. >>

"Alcohol Abuse" is not a "Cause of death" or a "condition". While alcohol did most of the damage, He died of when his liver stopped functioning, and they call that Liver Failure. (and that is what Sweetness died from as well) >>

I stand corrected in my terminology. Mantle died from liver failure as a result of alcohol abuse. I was trying to state that he died because of his alcohol abuse rather than as a result of alcohol abuse. Either way, he would have most likely lived longer if he wasn't a drunk.

Payton also died from liver failure, but for different reasons. It was a result of a rare form of cancer. Although the causes of the cancer are mostly unknown and debated, it was not because of alcohol abuse.

Bottom line is that I try to tell people that alcohol and tobacco kill many, many more people than steroids do, and it just doesn't affect those who take it. Actually, some use of steroids can be beneficial, while most alcohol use cannot be beneficial for humans.

• Options
    while most alcohol use cannot be beneficial for humans.

I find this statement ridiculous - if it wasn't for alcohol use a good percentage of humans wouldn't be around image