Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My coin cabinet

In the UK all premier collections are housed in the finest mahogany coin cabinets, I bought mine 14 years ago because I was really curious about the workmanship and nostalgia of owning one. I recently lost the key so I contacted the carpenter Mr Nichols to get a replacement and was informed by this elderly gentleman that there are probably only two remaining coin cabinet makers in the UK that still uses the traditional method, one is himself and another who is probably retired. His cabinets are widely used to house collections in museums so please take a look at my humble collection as I believe this is how coins are kept amongst collectors in Europe and has been done for centuries.

http://www.pbase.com/shinsakuto/coins

Comments

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the cabinet. Are the coins just lying there or is there a clear cover over them?
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Linkified

Nice collection, and a terrific cabinet image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    Unlike the US were there appears to be an obsession to slab coins here in the UK they only really cover coins that are in proof condition. A gentle natural aging, patina and toning is considered aesthetically pleasing and dont detract its value.
  • Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    Thanks for sharing the photos. That is one heck of a cabinet. WOW.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not bad, what's in the rest of the drawers???
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Ahhhhhhhh...keepin' cabinet friction alive and well into the 21st century image
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Very cool cabinet.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options

<< <i>Ahhhhhhhh...keepin' cabinet friction alive and well into the 21st century image >>

Its not really designed for mobile purposes plus the felt lining is thick and soft unlike some other felts which is hard and stubble and when handling coins with care cabinet friction is not really an issue here. This also brings up an important advantage of displaying coins in cabinets over slabs because you get to see the edges, any reputable coin dealers and collectors always insist on seeing the condition of the coin including the edges but this would not be the case with slabbed coins, in fact there are several gold coins there that have letterings on the edges which is an important attributes to the coin itself.
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    Yeah, but if the edge is an attribute, it''l say something on the slab. there is no real need to see it image

• Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    a superlative cabinet

and these cabinets would have absolutely no problems selling in the usa

many would buy them and start to collect coins and they would be perfect for raw circ coins

the workmanship is fantastic and i have never seen as such a cabinet except in photos in the american numismatical manual written by dickenson in the pre civil war times in the usa he had one illustrated in his books offering them for sale and it is almost exactly like to the letter your new cabinet

wild !!! i love it if someone could mass produce a cheaper model with the same look they would sell like hotcakes in the usa

to have a one of a kind hand built one that is from a master and it really is a lost art and when he is the only one left doing it and will be retiring soon

this cabinet with the provanance if ever sold herein the usa would go for huge $$$$$$

one of the better threads i have seen on these boards in a long time

and the superb patina that imparts on the coins and you can see the edge with the lettered coinage

imageimage
  • Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405
    Fantastic!image
    I would love to own one. But alas, my faith in my fellow man is nill. I have a beautiful, all steel, safe deposit box inside a vault at my bank.image
    But I do have pictures of my coins at home.
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    Very cool cabinet. I would love to own one like that.

Maybe you could provide contact information for hose of us who would be interested is buying a nice cabinet. I assume they would ship to the US??
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who is to say that a cabinet maker can't make the holes in the drawers rectangular instead of round? That would kindof solve the whole raw/slabbed issue. Cabinets for both image
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    That is pretty impressive.

I finally know what a coin cabinet looks like.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    Thankyou for your kind comments especially the story of the Civil War collection, would like to have seen that artical. The choice of wood was carefully selected, there are different types of mahogany and only the driest was used for the trays depending on age and climates the tree grows on, Mr Nichols donate some of the money of the sales towards new tree plantation in the Brazilian rain forest, well at least that what it said in the brochure I once had. My cabinet is about 14 years old and the design remains the same to this day, you are advised to treat the outer cabinet casing (not the trays) with bees wax applied with fine wire wool grade 0000 once every year and over time the mahogany will age beautifully. You can also ask him to custom make your cabinets, I first saw his advert back in the late 70s, I will post his website here.
  • Options
    Hi All - a post from the past about this topic. It is about wood.

Hi All, thought I would post this here as I feel it is important.

<< <i>CoinAddict - "Peter's (Nichols) response to my question was " The short and easy answer is nothing. I am in the
    very fortunate position of having my work tested an examined by the
    conservation departments of the leading museums in Europe. They all came
    to conclusion that the natural mahogany must be completely untreated to
    ensure no interaction with any coins placed in contact with them. In truth
    I have renovated many early cabinets from three centuries and some have used
    varnish of unknown types on the trays, but then conservation was not a great
    issue in Victorian times. My advice, process and sand the tray but
    leave them untreated."

In my reply thanking him I invited him to come and check out the forums..image >>

Hi,

from the Art Conservation Center at the University of Denver's Judy Greenfield, Conservator of Objects - "Building a Better Case"

"True African mahogany (these cabinets are apparently not) is reported to be one of the least corrosive woods, but it's expensive and difficult to procure, and other mahoganies sold as substitutes are corrosive" (Hatchfield). Additionally, mahogany is resistant to termite attack. There is disagreement over the benefits of seasoned wood. Kiln-drying (seasoning) wood helps break down and drive off some inherent acids, though it may depress the wood's RH-buffering ability (Miles). But Werner cites the Department of Industry's statement that "[seasoning] wood...accelerates the production of free acetic acid and formic acid. Most of the acid, however, remains in the wood."

So, even if you are lucky and your cabinet is actually made out of true African Mahogany it is still only a lesser evil. While Mahogany is much more stable than red oak, particularly dimensionally which I imagine would play a role in cabinet making, none of this this alters the fact that wood is factually not the best choice of material in which to store coins. I continue to quote from Art Conservation Center at the University of Denver, and this information is specifically in regard to display/storage cases - not so terribly removed from coin storage. And remember, display cases in museums are often temporary and yet these matters are considered. Many of the displayed items cited in the article were metal

"Although some woods are worse than others, all emit a variety of acids, aldehydes and other lignocellulosic degradation products." (Miles). Wood emits mostly acetic acid; formic acid is produced at 1/10th the amount of acetic acid(Blackshaw). Moisture hydrolyzes acetyl groups in the hemicellulose (a form of cellulose, the "building block" of wood) to produce acetic acid. Elevated temperatures appear to foster acetic acid production (Werner)." I don't know what to make of the claims about sanded mahogany - it is also agreed among conservators that all woods must have a barrier between the wood and the display case interior. "No wood can ever be completely sealed to stop emission of organic compounds, though sealants can impede emission." At least one case I saw made by Mr. Nichols appears to have the coins "exposed" to the inside finish, which IMHO should not be inside the case at all. You don't need physical contact for outgassing problems, and we know PCGS slabs are not "sealed" and plastic is gas permeable anyway. Also, I don't have any idea what adhesives, what finish (oil /Varathane?) or what fabric (true felt is terrible). To me, once closed, the environment in a wood box is concentrated - and the wood just sits there outgassing with the adhesives and finish, waiting to absorb large qualtities of water...now if the box is in a safe.....it is even worse.

Someone mentioned Varathane - "Even after 18 months' drying time, oleoresinous (oil) paints corroded lead in an experiment cited by Miles. As oil products dry, they undergo oxidative degradation which yields volatile organic acids, aldehydes and carbon dioxide (Miles). Oleo-resinous products include oil-modified paints and varnishes, one-component polyurethane varnishes (e.g., Varathane), alkyd paints, epoxy ester paints, aluminum paints, silicone paints and most varnishes (Miles)."

The information just goes on and on...and on - ESPECIALLY about the harmful glues and adhesives that might be used in construction (perhaps more important than the wood and as important as the finish), the fabrics - fabric should not be used where humidity is not controlled (someone mentioned a tarnish retardant cloth - these can be bad - as can certain dyed felts etc.!)...all can be injurious, and usually are unless care is taken. All I am saying is that wood in not an ideal choice, or even second choice for long term coin storage. Yes, this data is about storage/display cases in museums, but most of the problems above seem are mainly influenced by humidity and temperature - variables found in every deposit box and safe. And those are concentrated environments, more than the cases in the above discussion.

Best,
    Billy image

PS - Despite recent posts to the contrary, oak is indeed the most acidic of woods and does in fact outgas. "The most acidic hardwoods include oak, beech, birch and ash. Oak is the most acidic. With a pH of 3.7 to 4.9, depending on the source (Miles, Stamm), it is capable of liberating up to five percent of its weight in acetic acid (Erhardt)." Brazillian Mahogany, as apparently used by Mr. Nichols, is apparently properly called Honduras Mahogany and IS NOT true African Mahogany and does not share the same "stability" as the African source above - "other mahoganies sold as substitutes are corrosive" (Hatchfield)". I have no idea what wood Mr. Nichols uses other than what he states on his website. As stated above about Mahogany though, regardless of seasoning or kiln drying "most of the acid, however, remains in the wood." I have no issue with Mr. Nichols fine and attractive cases, this is not an attack on his cases nor do I wish to engage in any further discussions about his work as I do not even know him.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ahhhhhhhh...keepin' cabinet friction alive and well into the 21st century image >>

• Options
    vega1vega1 Posts: 941
    Well, unlike some of the touchy feely Europeans, where there appears to be an obsession with all that history and stuff, here in the good old U.S. of A. we prefer only the finest plastic! And lots of it!

I'm just giving you a hard time, its a very nice cabinet. If it could hold all my slabs I might want one too.image
  • Options
    I admit nothing is safe proof against acid or corrosive moisture attack I can assure you Mr Nichol's cabinet is one of the safest way of storing coins without any side effect, some of my coins have been stored there for 14 years and we have more than our fair share of moisture in our weather climates, museums would not be using his cabinets if there is indeed problems and I would certainly have noticed it especially with gold and silver coins, I even have a proof gold coin in the cabinet for 2 years and it survived without a blemish but the gold Panda proof I have in a plastic holder sealed by the mints already showed discoloration and I am going to open it before it suffers any further damage and transfer it to the cabinet.
  • Options

<< <i>Well, unlike some of the touchy feely Europeans, where there appears to be an obsession with all that history and stuff, here in the good old U.S. of A. we prefer only the finest plastic! And lots of it!

I'm just giving you a hard time, its a very nice cabinet. If it could hold all my slabs I might want one too.image >>

You can request custom made ones to hold your slab, I believe Peter Nichol also makes cabinets to hold fossils.
  • Options
    Cabinet Friction,old term for a nice AU coin (AKA,nice unc,only wear is from cabinet friction)

Slider,new term for a nice AU coin (AKA,nice unc,only wear is from cabinet friction)

Yeah right !,how many times would ya have to open and close them drawers to create "Cabinet Friction" ?

Proof
  • Options
    hughesm1hughesm1 Posts: 778 ✭✭
    That is one sweet looking cabinet.image
    Mark
  • Options
    Coins, shiny coins!
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    That's really a great looking piece of funiture. Do you keep it in your house? Around here in the Chicago land area that cabinet, coins and probably the entire room they are in would not last to long. Most people I know put thier coins in safe deposit boxes in banks and still worry about them. Some people have huge, ugly safes in thier homes and they get broken into also. One friend of mine had the entire safe stolen right out of his house. It weighed over 500 pounds and still somehow, someone walked away with it. Funny thing was he just took advice from someone and moved all valuables into a safe box at a bank. When I was a kid I still remember a police station was broken into and their safe was stolen. That cabinet of yours really looks great and congradulations on being able to show off something like that.
    Carl
  • Options
    Even people who keeps their valuebles at Harrods gets broken into by none other than Al Fayed himself. I do have a slabbed coin by NGC and I find it so frustrating its like looking at a photograph but the rim wasnt so perfect even though its an MS64 so I really like to have seen the edge design, condition and thickness, I need to see the coin in 3D. I am a collector not an investor and filing away coins in plastic holder and not able to appreciate it fully but with just a note informing me what it is simply isnt enough. This morning I recieved my second St Gaudens unslabbed although they were in similar condition in MS grade this one I can actually see all the letterings and stars on the edge of the coin, if it was slabbed I am denying myself that opportunity and missing out on what I have.

Another thing I noticed about slabbed coins is how tight the coin is pressed against the circular holder and would it damage or add wear on the coin itself especially if it is made from soft metal such as gold? I would be very hesitant in having very thin gold and silver pieces forced tight into those insert without bending the coin.
  • Options
    I found more pictures on Peter Nichol's coin cabinets

http://home.btconnect.com/winstanleybox/index1.htm

These looks like its been veneered with exotic wood on the outer cases, not sure if the veneering is done by the man himself or by another company but I believe the veneering would only be successful on certain range with a plain flat surface like those featured but will not work on my cabinet.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    shinsakutoshinsakuto Posts: 13 ✭✭✭

Its been a while since I last posted and have to sign up again because I have forgotten my password.

Since I last posted Peter Nichol has retired in at the end of 2010 due to ill health which forced him to give up manual labour. Peter sold his business to a close friend which continue to produce his range of cabinets using his name because of the high reputation. I've noticed in recent years Nichols cabinets has recieved many orders from USA which normally favours coins being slabbed (although they do make cabinets that houses slabs), so I'm not sure how much my posts back in 2005 has contributed to the interest in Nichols cabinets in the States :)

On the subject of mahogany I cannot claim any expertise on that but my feeling is Peter did use to get his mahagony from Brazil which was once the biggest exporter in the world until it was banned in 2001, however the poster above is correct that "Honduran mahogany" is probably the correct term for all South American mahogany including those from Brazil. I notice the wood on Nichols cabinets from around the mid 2000s onward has taken on a different appearance but I cannot say what has happened. If I were to theorise I would say his source of mahogany has changed.

• Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭

When I click on the links I get either a "not authorized" statement or scantily clad women wanting to give me access! What's going on?

Joe.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UncleJoe said:
    When I click on the links I get either a "not authorized" statement or scantily clad women wanting to give me access! What's going on?

Joe.

The thread was dead for a dozen years before it was brought back to the top with a single post. The links are long gone. Check the dates on the posts.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭

@TomB said:

@UncleJoe said:

Joe.

The thread was dead for a dozen years before it was brought back to the top with a single post. The links are long gone. Check the dates on the posts.

Thanks. I thought I was hacked!

Joe.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2017 5:09PM

@UncleJoe said:

Joe.

I don't know, but the choice is clear.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2017 5:30PM

12 year old thread

Doesn't age like whisky.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2017 10:48PM

These look like very nice cabinets!

Here's the website for Peter Nichols Mahogany Coin Cabinets:

Here's the photo and description of "The Coronet":

The Coronet was developed to satisfy the connoisseur collector who requires a cabinet of dateless style able to grace and enhance any room setting. Built to the highest standards the case is fabricated to house 30 coin trays together with two small oddment drawers and one full width deep drawer for storing proof or similar cased sets. Storage space is also provided for catalogues or reference works. The Coronet's polished top has a ovolo moulding which is matched and echoed by the moulded plinth. The two panelled doors are glazed with latticed etched clear shatterproof Perspex, or as an option you mat specify polished solid mahogany panels. Brass fittings and fitments are used throughout. The trays are available in our full range of recess sizes.

External dimensions: 485mm x 320mm x 445mm
    Trays: 275mm x 260mm
    Large drawer: 407mm x 255mm x 50mm
    Small drawer: 217mm x 105mm x 40mm
    Average weight: 25kg

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

I clicked on this thread thinking it was probably 40 years old.
    Imagine my surprise when I saw it was ONLY 12 years old !

• Options

Peter NIchols cabinets has changed in design over the years. I recently picked this on up from a UK auction. Judging by the design it looks like from early 1980s

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice cabinets and an interesting thread. it seems to highlight the differences in not only collecting philosophy but society between the UK/Europe and the USA. most US collectors can appreciate the aesthetic appeal of the cabinets but are wise enough to know that they are probably not the way to house a collection.

• Options

Hi Keets, if you ask European collectors they will most likely disagree with you.
    I also collect proof coins in capsule and would not put them in cabinet but having said that I have many of these including a recently slabbed proof from NGC that develop unattractive toning. I think gas was absorbed and trapped inside causing staining. On more than one occassions I have to "rescue" these capsuled proofs by taking it out and soak in alcohol.

FYI I have a proof gold Panda coin (I'm Taikonaut from above but I have to sign up again) I broke out of the seal because it was discolouring, removed the discolour and stored in my Nichols cabinet for about 17yrs and I kid you not it is still blemish free. None of my coins have toned in that cabinet. However many cabinets will tone your coins. Nichols cabinets are approved by many museums including the Fitzwilliams, they are not trying to be just a fancy piece of furniture, its function is primarily utilitarian to preserve coins in a professional sense.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a small Nichols cabinet I purchased many years ago. Nice workmanship and I have stored raw coins in it for years with no effects. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

I have one of the Peter Nichols cabinets for about 20 years for my raw Lincolns, Nichols and other childhood collections. No ill effects

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file