Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Vietnam Gold and Silver coins wanted/UPDATE 3/15/06 W/PICS

2»

Comments

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Too bad the auction is on the Sabbath; nobody pulling that stunt will ever get my business.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Too bad the auction is on the Sabbath; nobody pulling that stunt will ever get my business.

imageimageimage >>

Whose sabbath?
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Too bad the auction is on the Sabbath; nobody pulling that stunt will ever get my business.

imageimageimage >>

Whose sabbath? >>

THE Sabbath. The only Sabbath. The Lord's Sabbath. Our Sabbath. What other Sabbath is there? In case you've never been informed of the Sabbath, it takes place from sundown Friday night to sundown Saturday night, and it's been that way since creation, and it will always be so, since the Lord is unchanging.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    I'd appreciate if you would take you're religious beliefs to a different thread. I think it's great that you have something to believe in, however it doesn't belong here.

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Mr. EG, can you tell us something about the Annamese piece that is coming up for auction? I don't know a thing about it but is certainly is beautiful. Was it minted for circulation?
  • Options
    I'm a babe in the wool on this type sumnom image

Hmmm is this a real saying?
  • Options
    This called a "Kim Tien" or "gold coin" in Vietnam. They were issued as awards. A few types were issued in silver that were meant to circulate. This Kim Tien was made during the reign of Tu Duc (1848-1883). The reverse has a dragon called phi-long.

Gold awards were usually given to the highest Mandarins and relatives of the Emperor. Silver coins were given to the military, lesser Mandarins and others recognized for merit. Many of these had holes drilled in them so they could be suspended around the neck and adorned with tassels at the bottom. A complete sets of coins with tassels are very rare.

The best source for information is from books written by Francois Thierry and a book published in 1905 by Albert Schroeder. These books are in French. There is a fairly good book in English called "The Tradtional Awards of Annam" by John Sylvester. The Schroeder book as well as Francois Thierry's books use the coins that are at the French Library in Paris. These are coins seized by the French from the Hue Citadel when they took control of Vietnam. I have posted scans of the coin plates from my copy of the Schroeder book at the Zeno.ru website. Eventually I will produce a translation of it when I have the time.

The following is a link to an ealy work by Desire Lacroix on Vietnamese coins:
    http://gallica.bnf.fr/Catalogue/noticesInd/FRBNF37267662.htm
    This is the catalog card from the French library click on the bottom tab to access the book. They also have plates from the book but they are not very good. Again this is in French.

This is a link to a vietnamee site in Hue. This article shows some rare Bai which were used as I.D. plates at the palace.
    http://www.hue.vnn.vn/disandulich/2005/08/98891/
    The images of the gold pieces were taken from the book by John Sylvester.
  • Options
    Cam on Vietcoins!image
  • Options
    Vietcoins, Rat cam on da cho toi biet nhung thong tin do, nhung cai cai trang web do chi toan tieng Viet, anh co the gui cho toi cai trang web nao bang tieng Anh khong? Cuoi cung thi anh co phai la nguoi mua ban nhung dong tien vang do khong? Anh co nhung dong tien vang nao nua khong? Va hien tai anh dang o dau?

Gracias!
    Tomimage
  • Options
    Happy New Year to all!

Glad to help. I have been collecting Vietnamese coins for over thirty years. I do not own any gold coins, just a few silver pieces. The only English website with silver pieces is at: http://art-hanoi.com/collection/. I do not know of anyone that has gold coins for sale. They are really few and far between. There are two gold coins up for auction at: http://coins.heritagegalleries.com/. There is a Japanese auction site that has Vietnamese coins very often at: http://www.auction-net.com/.

The book by Sylvester is a good starting point for gold and silver coins. Scott Semans has a lot of coin books and probably has that book in stock. He is at:http://www.coincoin.com/directory.htm.

If you want to collect cash coins there is a new book Historical Cash Coins of Vietnam by Allan Barker (in English!). This the most comprehensive book on the subject. It is in color and all varieties are rated by scarcity. I have uploaded some pages at: http://coinsofvietnam.freeservers.com/. I have extra copies for sale if anyone is interested.

I live in Houston at present. I will be making a trip to Vietnam in early March and stay a month.

Happy Collecting\

Craig Greenbaum
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Viet coins,happy new year and welcome to the forum.

Courtesy links

Heritage lots:

Tu Duc (1848-83) gold Tien

Tieu Tri (1841-1847) gold Tien

Historical Cash Coins of Vietnam some images uploaded here

silver coins website art-hanoi.com/collection/
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    How does Barker compare to Toda?
  • Options

<< <i>How does Barker compare to Toda? >>

Toda has only drawings of the coins. In Barker's book each coin is shown in color, exact size, weights given and also has an actual rubbing of the coin.

Toda gives very few varieties within a reign. In Barker's book nearly every variety known for every reign is shown and is assigned a scarcity rating (that helps the collector determine the value of that particular coin).

Toda does show some rebel and unofficial coinage. Barker's book explains the historical significsance of each rebel and again shows all the varieties. Barker's book does not has unofficial coinage in it. He is working on that book now.

Barker"s book is really a great book. I've shipped them to colectors in Australia, Taiwan, China, Denmark and France and the feedback was universal, Historical Cash Coins of Vietnam is comprehensive and the best book on Vietnam's old coinage.

Also Allan Barker had these books printed at his own expense. Most of the coins in the book are his. His collection is the largest and finest of old Vietnamese coins in the world. He produced thia book to help others with the same collecting interests. The hobby needs new publications but it is very costly to print them yourself or get publishers to do it. This is especially true in areas of collecting that do not have the perceived wide market appeal.

I bought 50 books from Allan to help him defer his expenses. He lives in Singapore and really can't put the time into promoting the book. I have corresponded with him for over 4 years concerning the details of this book (as other collectors have). I think this book will bring more interest in the field of collecting Vietnamese coinage.

• Options
    Your pitch is excellent. I am afraid to ask how much this book is but I will. What are you asking? If it is within my budget I would love to buy a copy.
  • Options

<< <i>Your pitch is excellent. I am afraid to ask how much this book is but I will. What are you asking? If it is within my budget I would love to buy a copy. >>

Email me for particulars at

GRNB@netzero.net
    Craig
  • Options
    Email sentimage
  • Options
    We shall soon seeimage
  • Options
    Got two at FUN but submitted them to NGC while there.......which will take a couple weeks. Will post some pics when they come back.

Hooray! image
  • Options
  • Options
    ?
  • Options

<< <i>? >>

• Options
    More!image
  • Options
    Hope they come back soon
  • Options
    I called NGC today and they told me 18 business days from the time they returned from FUN. Should be in about a week.

Whew already

Tom
  • Options
    They're baaaaack from NGC! Yay! Wife is scanning them as I type and I'll post the pics shortly.

Yay!

Tomimage
  • Options
    Looking forward to seeing them.

( sorry for last PM, it was actually meant for Andy ( Mr Eureka ) - bought 4 Eliasberg's of him. image )
  • Options

Can anyone decipher what these are?

For example, ND ( 1841-7 ) Vietnam 3T ?

3T "T" is Tien which means money in VietNamese but what denomination of money was this coin?

And if these are from the same era, why did NGC slab one as Annam and the other as Viet Nam?

Tomimage
  • Options
    The top piece is a presentation piece not meant for circulation, where as the bottom piece is a circulation piece.

Tiens ( and Langs ) are named after their weight. For example 1/2 tien weighs 1.8892 grams, 1 Tien 3.7783 grams etc

also 1 Tien represents benignity
    2 T - grattitute
    3 - kindness
    4 - respect
    5 - justice
    6 - obedience
    7 - benevolence
    8 - submissiveness
    9 - humanity

and 1 Lang represents faithfulness

Edit: Nice interesting coins btw. image
  • Options
    Lang means Tael in Viet Namese which is a unit of weight. I'm not seeing the correlation for Tien. Benignity means gentleness or kindness but you have 3T for that.

I don't see the correlation for 1, 2, 3 T .
  • Options
    Tom,

Tien 1 -9 and Lang 1 virtues I'm getting out of my book so i won't argue with what the book says. It has 1 - 9 Tien listed followed by the single 1 Lang. ( I see that 10 Tien = 1 Lang which makes sense since 1 Lang weighs 10X 1 Tien ).

All of the dates in the Vietnam section are preceded by the letters ND but the book doesn't say what they stand for.

I'll leave the symbols for someone more knowledgable.

The tick sign with the two dots over it ,with the square and 4 to the right of it forms part of a description in my book. Headed Protectorate of Annam I think that it represents 'Rebels & Invaders', the name alongside it is Tri Nguyen 1831-1834 - however this doesn't match the date of the scanned coin so it's time for the experts to enter................
  • Options
    IlikeZARcoins, this is a neat dialogue, thank you.

What book do you have??

Rgrds
    Tom
    By the way, I've got some Eliasberg material but don't want to offer it until I find replacements. I'd really like to get deeper into the Viet material. Vo cua toi cung vay!image
  • Options
    Hi Tom,

Re: Eliasberg - just PM me whenever you feel like selling any.

The book is the 'Standard catalog of World Coins, 4th edition, Colin Bruce based on Krause. I picked it up last weekend in Dublin ( the big smoke ). Handy book though. image

Good Luck,

Marcel
  • Options

<< <i>All of the dates in the Vietnam section are preceded by the letters ND but the book doesn't say what they stand for. >>

"No Date"? (Just a WAG because I know nothing about these coins.)
    "Think of the Press as a great keyboard on which the Government can play" – Joseph Goebbels

"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media" - William Colby, former CIA director