Home U.S. Coin Forum

Reported here first! Error: 2005 'Speared Bison'

First reported 'Speared Bison' error reported HERE 3/11/2005! with PHOTO!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know much about errors on coins - can someone tell me what you think this may be? I found 6 in one roll and 4 in another roll. That's 10 out of 80 coins, and all ten are basically identical. The line goes from the 'E' in States to just below Mr. Buff's 5th leg. And should I open another roll? image

Comments

• RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And should I open another roll? >>

This is a die gouge.

To answer your question: Yes. imageimageimage
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like die damage (crack/gouge?) I like it! Nice find! Did it come out of a mint roll or bank roll?

Cheers,

Bob
  • SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WooHoo, maybe we can get this built up like Extra leaf, Maybe an extra leg
    or maybe, Congrats it's a boy.
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    If that was on a Wisconsin quarter it would be worth $100. Maybe you should give it a catchy name like Extra Leg and sell them for big bucks! image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Thanks Rampage - yes it's pretty kewl - going to open another roll right now. Will report back later.

• Ok - I found 6 in first roll, 4 in 2nd roll, and only 2 in the roll I 'just' opened . . . heading for another roll now..... I need to find the '8' roll next. image
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Just stay away from the '0' roll and you will be just fine. image
  • pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Interesting, looks like a spear, which the Indians used along with arrows to hunt buffalo, as represented in paintings by Remington, Russell, and others. This gouge fits right in to the design.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016
    hmmmmm possible "lunch" designation?
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking spear too.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    Clearly depicting aliens trying to mutilate the Buffalo with laserbeams.

-Daniel
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a die gouge to me. It's very similar to the "wounded eagle" Sac dollar. So I suppose someone will tag it with the moniker "wounded bison" and away we go.
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • "speared buffalo" sounds like a cool name. I want to find one!

Cameron Kiefer
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Buffalo on a stick
    Buffalo Snack
    Buffalo Voodoo
    DGB (Die Gouge Buffalo)
    VDB (Very Dead Buffalo)
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Well, I found a few more - that makes 22 total out of 320 nickels.

LOL 'D' on the laserbeam. Someone earlier mentioned Buffalo shis-ka-bob - How about Buffalo-bob. image

Oh, these were found in OBW rolls in Texas.

What's interesting is that the first roll I opened had 6 - the most I found in any roll since - then it went like this: 4 -2 -2 - 0 - 4 - 2 - 2. I opened all the H/T rolls first, and then opened 3 T/T rolls. I have one T/T and one H/H left. (only had one H/H.) Still hoping for the '8' roll and no more goose eggs.

Kind of a nice birthday gift for me - lucky 13th - that's me. image
    Actually, I generally never have any luck finding good things. I am sure there must be more of these 'out there'. Good luck hunting!!! Would be interested in knowing who else finds any - and where.

I finally got a pic showing the complete 'spear'.

Pam

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Die gouges are cool. It's awesome when you find them in change. When you find them in OBW thats even better.
    I agree it should be attributed as SB- Speared Buffalo.
  • Kinda reminds me of the pictures in the movie "the omen"

Good luck finging more.
    And Happy B day image
    (Old man) Look I had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was, “That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah”.

(Priest) BLASPHEMY he said it again, did you hear him?
  • It reminds me of the "Wounded Eagle" die gouge on the reverse of the SACs. I think its a great find and will be worth some nice $$$. What a perfect find on the new buffalo nickels!

Congrats and I'd contact CONECA or somebody and report it. I'm sure CoinWorld would pick up on this. I'm kinda tired reading about leaves. They need a new story!

TPN
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Where's KINGKOIN when you need him?

• << <i>

Congrats and I'd contact CONECA or somebody and report it. I'm sure CoinWorld would pick up on this. I'm kinda tired reading about leaves. They need a new story!

TPN >>

I agre with TPN! E-mail coinworld.

Cameron Kiefer

• << <i>Where's KINGKOIN when you need him? >>

Pissing Buffalo? image

Cameron Kiefer
  • I emailed someone at Coneca.org that I found on their website. Not sure how to email Coin World.

One more roll to search - that's 26 so far.
  • stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    Interesting that no one else has reported finding any. You may have a gold mine there. Congrats.
    Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
  • Well the count is in before the 're-search', and I found a total of 27 in 10 bank-wrapped rolls - D mint by the way.

Three out of the 27 coins had what appears to be damage from the coin rolling machine on the obverse. It is a scratch vs. the raised line on reverse and is COMPLETELY different - and unrelated, am 99 percent sure.

Thanks to all who have PM'd me with interest to purchase one of these. I will post more later on what I plan to do with some of the coins. I will probably be keeping the majority of them for 13 grandchildren - and I have something special planned for a couple of them.

This thread was not planned to be an an advertising medium, but only my excitement in finding a kewl coin.

Since so many people have PM'd me with interest to purchase or trade, I am going to meditate on what to do. I am not sure if I will sell them - or not. I have to leave here soon for birthday dinner and auction tonite.

Thanks everyone for your help - Now I have two opinions tho, and still not sure what it is - a die gouge . . . or 'beginning of die break'???

Pam

• nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    That last one looks like counting machine damage
  • That last one looks like counting machine damage

Yes, that's what I thought too. Totally a different metal rearrangement (in) than the reverse (out).

• Nice buffalo!

• << <i>

Thanks everyone for your help - Now I have two opinions tho, and still not sure what it is - a die gouge . . . or 'beginning of die break'???

Pam >>

It appears to be a die gouge as the characteristics seem different then normally seen on a die crack, most notably the depth and shape of the line into the die at different points of the line. Please do not bring KINGKOIN into the mix or he will start trying to sell them for 100k each.
  • Thanks CR, and just to update you - I inspected the Obverse again, and they are definitely 'scratches vs. being raised metal on the Reverse. Totally different 'animal'. Guess they just have some bad rolling machines! Only 3 of the 27 have the round scratches from what I am determining to be a rolling machine. Also found more coin rolling machine damage on quite a few of the 'non-speared' buffs.

Pam

• LOL on 100K . . . I don't even know who KINGKOIN is - remember a few posts about him.

thanks for your input!
  • Sent you two...
  • GO GET SOME MORE ROLLS FROM THE SAME BANK!!!!!

Those apear just like the "Wounded Eagle" Sac and I am sure with a little hype will bring some big bucks (pun intended).

Congrats!!

(PAST) OWNER #1 SBA$ REGISTRY COLLECTOIN
  • Thanks a lot CR.

I will try to see if I can get a few more rolls - king of limiting folks on first small shipment?

• << <i>LOL on 100K . . . I don't even know who KINGKOIN is - remember a few posts about him.
    >>

KINGKOIN had a die crack on a couple of Proof coins and listed them on Ebay over and over with a starting price or reserve of 100k, he made many post on here trying to explain exactly why they are worth 100k each but could not seem to find any takers.
  • SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get your kids and your grandkids to buy more rolls.
    I hope this is a big winner for you.image
  • die gouge? break? PFFT! that is a SPEAR.

a spear is a spear is a spear.

how could it be anything else? it looks almost intentional, and fits with the design perfectly!

*sacrasm off*

NICE FIND! image
    peace
    imageimage
  • Anybody else find any?? cm
  • dorancoinsdorancoins Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>And should I open another roll? >>

This is a die gouge. To answer your question: Yes. imageimageimage >>

Neptune, I would concur with Rampage on what it is. As far as opening up another roll - go for it, you have nothing to lose.image
    DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shish-ke-buff.
    Tempus fugit.
  • GandyjaiGandyjai Posts: 1,380 ✭✭
    Looks like a harpoon to me.....maybe Moby Dick?

Brian

I LOVE image IKES! image
  • I called my dad in Dallas and told him to check the bank rolls he got recently. Don't expect he found any shish-ka-buffalos, I'm sure I would have heard if he had. Congrats on your fortunate find! I wonder how many more will show up.
  • Dallas is close - very possible he could find some! image

I feel there are more out there, just because I found so many in my rolls. I never found my 'eight', so six was tops in a roll. Then I did find another goose egg, a one, and another 2.

All twenty-seven of the spears look pretty much the same on all coins.

Cancelled auction so I could play with Buffy's tonite.

• Call it the skewered buffalo.
    neat find
  • BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    Quick, put it on ebay and ask $100,000 for it!
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.

• << <i>Quick, put it on ebay and ask $100,000 for it! >>

If she did we would have to call her QUEENKOIN!!
  • No please - Neptune will be just fine. image
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Interesting thread, and nice finds! image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !

<< <i>Interesting, looks like a spear, which the Indians used along with arrows to hunt buffalo, as represented in paintings by Remington, Russell, and others. This gouge fits right in to the design. >>

pharmer, you idiot. Now look what you've done.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file