Home Sports Talk
Options

My Rant against Giambi

DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
I just have to get this out. It sounds so hypocritical and contradictory that I could not put it behind me.

We all know Giambi used steroids. We all know he is not publicly talking about due to advice from his legal cousel. OK.

Now, Canseco comes out with a book giving out names of athletes that used steroids. Giambi was on that list. Giambi has been quoted in saying that Canseco's claims are "delusional."

WTF?????

Mr. Giambi, you admitted to taking steroids and Canseco knows you did too. You are saying Canseco is "delusional." Oh, OK, so you lied in the grand jury testimony you gave. Give me a break!!!

Are we suppose to believe no one took steroids then? Canseco is making everything up? All baseball players are clean?

It has been long believed that baseball had steroid users, and now when Canseco comes out with a book on it, its OH NO, he does not know what he is talking about.

I can understand steroid users denying the allegations (don't agree with it, that's all). Its not something people want to admit to. However, the truth will come out sometime. It will look real stupid to find out that most of the people that denied Canseco's accusations are later found to be guilty of steroid use.

Steroids were legal in baseball back then, so there is no penalty. McGwire, Sosa or Giambi will not go to jail. It was no crime in baseball.

On a side note, I don't get how baseball laws supercede federal ones. It is against federal law to buy and sell steroids. How can baseball be immune to it. Can McGwire and Sosa be prosecuted federally if not by MLB? That part baffles me.
"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

Comments

• Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    what about football players?? lets let it go! this hole grand jury congress bs is getting stupid. we all no who did it. lets leave it at that!

what about the millions mcgwire gave to the kids little league funds etc....

i say whatever let the nerds take over! they can never take what they once had no matter how hard they try! they just wish they were them thats why all this bullsh$t is happening!

make mcgwire testify is absurd!!

axtell let me have iT I dont give a sh$t!

i cant even care about the season right now bc its all about this bullsh$t! NFL has this all year long but they dont make it a big deal like this. they deal with it the way it should be. BASEBALL IS TURNING THIS INTO A CIRCUS SHOW AND ITS GONNA KILL THE SEASON!
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Baseball is America's pasttime. You can say that other sports are more in tune or popular, but no other sport shares the same history. Baseball needs to be shaken up.

Make them answer the questions. They may plead the fifth or simply say no, but some may say yes. The phrase "What happens in the clubhouse stays in the clubhouse" may need to change.

I think we have only seen the tip of this iceberg. It is certainly going to be a memorable season.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options

<< <i>I just have to get this out. It sounds so hypocritical and contradictory that I could not put it behind me.

We all know Giambi used steroids. We all know he is not publicly talking about due to advice from his legal cousel. OK.

Now, Canseco comes out with a book giving out names of athletes that used steroids. Giambi was on that list. Giambi has been quoted in saying that Canseco's claims are "delusional."

WTF?????

Mr. Giambi, you admitted to taking steroids and Canseco knows you did too. You are saying Canseco is "delusional." Oh, OK, so you lied in the grand jury testimony you gave. Give me a break!!!

Are we suppose to believe no one took steroids then? Canseco is making everything up? All baseball players are clean?

It has been long believed that baseball had steroid users, and now when Canseco comes out with a book on it, its OH NO, he does not know what he is talking about.

I can understand steroid users denying the allegations (don't agree with it, that's all). Its not something people want to admit to. However, the truth will come out sometime. It will look real stupid to find out that most of the people that denied Canseco's accusations are later found to be guilty of steroid use.

Steroids were legal in baseball back then, so there is no penalty. McGwire, Sosa or Giambi will not go to jail. It was no crime in baseball.

On a side note, I don't get how baseball laws supercede federal ones. It is against federal law to buy and sell steroids. How can baseball be immune to it. Can McGwire and Sosa be prosecuted federally if not by MLB? That part baffles me. >>

Very easy. The very mention of the word "Steroids" from Giambi in public could cause the Yankees to void the remainder of his fat contract. That is why we are getting a bunch of apologies for nothing in particular.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    I guess Giambi will talk candidly after the federal investigation is over. Right now, he has to put on this persona and not talk about steroids.

However, instead of calling Canseco delusional, he could have said no comment. He comes across as inarticulate at best by calling Canseco a virtual liar.

Giambi needs a better choice of words and know how to creatively and tactically dodge questions. He won't be a politician any time soon.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I don't think that Giambi was speaking to the steroids deal as delusional, I think it was more in reference to Canseco's claims that there is some overwhelming conspiracy to keep Canseco out of baseball.

And I don't care what anyone thinks, Canseco's book is only doing good things for baseball. To pull the shades off this dirty little secret that's been pushing numbers up with no recourse.

McGwire obviously took steroids...look at the huge power number increase towards the end of his career...and look how his body has broken down...all tell-tell signs of a steroid user. Yes, he did a lot of good with community service and whatnot, but that doesn't deny the fact that he did use substances that are banned in EVERY OTHER MAJOR SPORT.

Kuhlman, what the hell are you talking about? 'let the nerds take over'? Are you smoking your weekly crack supplement today? Are you saying that those calling for strict testing is a bad thing? Are you a fan of the gaudy, steroid-inflated numbers?

The NFL has one of the most stringent testing policies for banned substances...it's a policy that MLB should look at adopting.

Kuhlamn, your posts get more and more ridiculous and uninformed with each post. You don't care about the baseball season because the mets, even spending as much as the yanks, will finish third in the division. Why don't you try proofreading your posts before you submit them, as it is, they look more and more like a 9 year old missing their ritalin dose is posting.

• Options
    I would bet Canseco's book is totally true.

People always hate a whistleblower. The Player's union in MLB is like a fraternity of Cops.....nobody is allowed to say a thing, nobody rats out their partner.....

Well, Canseco did that and now the ONLY thing an accused player can do is say Canseco lied and it is all "made up."

I admit Canseco exxagerates some things like anyone else...but who knows better about this subject then him??

He said in his interview that if it was done correctly, steroids could be a great thing for the game. All the other superstars know and think this also, which is why they are all roided up. Even Governor Swarzenneger has come out and said he does "not regret" all of his steroid use back in his World Champion and Mister Universe body-building days because he said it was "different" back then because EVERYONE has to use the steroids to have a chance at competing with the other body builders and it was all okay because they did it in the presence of doctors. Sound familiar?

• Options

<< <i> He said in his interview that if it was done correctly, steroids could be a great thing for the game. All the other superstars know and think this also, which is why they are all roided up. Even Governor Swarzenneger has come out and said he does "not regret" all of his steroid use back in his World Champion and Mister Universe body-building days because he said it was "different" back then because EVERYONE has to use the steroids to have a chance at competing with the other body builders and it was all okay because they did it in the presence of doctors. Sound familiar? >>

Actually, Canseco has stated in interviews that administered properly, steroids can be a good thing for baseball and society in general. And I agree with him completely. The key words in his statement are "administered properly." However, our current laws prohibit any steroid from being administered properly.

A major effect of the criminalization approach to steroids has been to discourage illegal users, including teens, from admitting their steroid usage to physicians. Since some of the greatest dangers inherent in self-administered steroid use involve the failure to be monitored by a doctor, the Control Act has succeeded in greatly escalating this danger and has created an even wider gap between the users and the medical community. Because the self-administration of anabolics is a federal crime, few users are willing to confess their steroid use to physicians. And because federal enforcement efforts have targeted physicians, few doctors want anything to do with athletes taking steroids..

In addition, another effect of the Steroid Control Act's restrictions upon legitimate product has been the increased manufacture and distribution of black market counterfeit products and substandardly made veterinary steroids never intended for human consumption. Some of these black market products are tainted with impurities or contain other foreign substances, supporting the assertion that "continued enforcement of steroid legislation will worsen health risks associated with steroid use.

Source: The Anabolic Steroid Control Act: The Wrong Prescription? by Rick Collins, JD

In regards to Arnold Schwarzenegger, the guy is a babbling idiot. Sure, he is going to say what he said. Without steroid use, he would have been just another regular Joe, but just more ugly. Sure I agree with his comments that it was better back then since it was administered by doctors (see comment above), but this is a guy who used to state that "Dianabol is the breakfast of champions." Dianabol is a pretty potent steroid. However, to this day Arnold is healthy and more healthy that most of the fatso's on this board.

However, now he comes out and says that he supports cracking down on steroid use. Sure, he can continue to make the problem worse by introducing more balck market items to the market. But what does Arnold have to worry about? He made his fame already, most of it thanks to steroids.

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    You can over use anything and then it would be bad for you. Tylenol can help people who have minor pain or are sick and want to get through the day. However, an over use of Tylenol will cause liver failure. Should Tylenol be banned? NO!

Steroids have been labeled the drugs of Satan that we forget that maybe if administered properly, they can actually help some people. I don't necessarily mean as a performance enhancing drug, but something to help rehabilitation after injury. It may be able to help people who suffered a bad accident, arthritis sufferers and athletes making a comeback after significant surgery (ACL, elbow, Tommy John).

Make steroids legal and prescribable by a doctor and its market value will plummet and quality sky rocket. This does not mean you can have steroids while in competition--each sport has to regulate that as how they want to go about doing that.

• Options

<< <i>You can over use anything and then it would be bad for you. Tylenol can help people who have minor pain or are sick and want to get through the day. However, an over use of Tylenol will cause liver failure. Should Tylenol be banned? NO!

Steroids have been labeled the drugs of Satan that we forget that maybe if administered properly, they can actually help some people. I don't necessarily mean as a performance enhancing drug, but something to help rehabilitation after injury. It may be able to help people who suffered a bad accident, arthritis sufferers and athletes making a comeback after significant surgery (ACL, elbow, Tommy John).

Make steroids legal and prescribable by a doctor and its market value will plummet and quality sky rocket. This does not mean you can have steroids while in competition--each sport has to regulate that as how they want to go about doing that. >>

Just to claify. DeutscherGeist has not been talking to me. The opinions reached by DeutscherGeist were not provided by me. image

• Options
    Axtell first of all i had no idea you are an english professor! I also had no idea your a computer typing tuff guy?? i dont need to type tuff!
    i could care less about proofreading what i write on a sports talk message board.
    Mets will finish in the playoffs this year while your mariners yet again wont even make the world series.

When is the last time the mariners made the world series??.......ohh yeah never! correct me if im wrong but didnt the mariners spend over 100 million on 2 players this year??

as far as steroids and the game you cant wash out records after the fact. watching these hearings today they said they have known roids to be around in baseball for 30 YEARS!! whos to say with 100% confidence it wasnt taken by mantle or maris. sh$t as much of an drunk mantle was and pill popper he would of tried and might have.

so yes i am a fan of the home run ball. and if the leaders go down to 35 a year, IMO attendence will decline.
  • Options

<< <i>
    When is the last time the mariners made the world series??.......ohh yeah never! correct me if im wrong but didnt the mariners spend over 100 million on 2 players this year??

>>

Well I guess that makes you a better fan than I, because my team has never been to the world series? And you are a 'better' fan because your team has? Your points are at best, cloudy.

And you are already counting the M's out of the season, before a single game has been played, and already counting your mets in the playoffs? Hell, why are we going to play the 162 games? Kuhlmann is a psychic and has seen the end!!!

Weren't the mets supposed to dominate their division last year? How much did they spend last year, to finish in third place? You'd think that the Braves, in what was supposed to be a rebuilding year, would have been the mets year. Nooooo, the Mets let the Braves cruise to a 10 game division lead.

This year will be no different-the mets will finish in third place again.
  • Options
    Kuhlmann is a psychic and has seen the end!!!You don't care about the baseball season because the mets, even spending as much as the yanks, will finish third in the division.

again correct me if im wrong??..... looks like you are the psychic as you made 1st prediction image
  • Options

<< <i>Kuhlmann is a psychic and has seen the end!!!You don't care about the baseball season because the mets, even spending as much as the yanks, will finish third in the division.

again correct me if im wrong??..... looks like you are the psychic as you made 1st prediction image >>

The difference between you and me? I am right.
  • Options
    The difference between you and me? I am right.

want to wager who finishes with a better record mets or mariners?
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Weren't the mets supposed to dominate their division last year? >>

Uh no, not even close. I don't recall one expert even talking about them. It was the Phillies, Marlins, and Braves most all picking Philly.
  • Options
    Axtell im still waiting. come on man lets wager great one. you the all knowing. mets mariners who wins more games?

as i have people on this board no i live up to my bets. a nice mets icon for you would look great. let me know im waiting... tick tick