Home Sports Talk
Options

Breakout player of the year?

Don't really follow the young ones, but I've heard promising things about Lastings Milledge, Conor Jackson, a couple of others.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan

Comments

• Options
    I am looking for two players to simply have a breakout year.

For pitchers, I am looking for Ben Sheets of Milwaukee to solidify himself as one of the premiere pitchers in both leagues.

For position players, I am looking for Victor Martinez (C) for Cleveland to solidify himself as the best young catcher in the game. He had a great year last year, but I expect this year will be better.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    I'm banking on Chase Utley. Hopefully Polanco doesn't take too much time away from him. I like Harden and Haren in Oakland to step it up and replace Hudson and Mulder.
  • Options
    Harden will replace Hudson quite well I believe this year, to the tune of about 15 wins and a 3.10 E.R.A. Hudson on the other hand will get lit up in Atlanta IMO.

The guys I like this year are Tony Armas Jr. and Claudio Vargas. These guys should really step it up a notch and I believe they will be very late picks in fantasy pools yet have HUGE upside potential.

On the other hand Randy Johnson and Carl Pavano will be huge busts signed by the Yankees this year (Pavano will actually fair poorer than Mark Davis to be honest).

Jay
  • Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990
    80sToyguy,

I feel very bad for you. You lost 2 teams this year...the Montreal Canadians and Expos.....sheesh!!!!
  • Options
    Actually Gemmy it's Canadiens, not Canadians. As for losing them, I'm actually 100% behind the owners on this one and I'm looking forward to replacement players and the eventual abolishment of the player's association as we know it in the NHL. It's been said 1 million times before so I'm not going to go through it again, but there's no way guys in the NHL should be making salaries comparable to the 3 other major sports. BUT, at the same time, we've got ourselves a nice stocked-up team ready to compete when the NHL is back to normal by sometime in January 2006 at a very reasonable salary structure.
    You on the other hand will have to settle with more ridicule and embarassment when your Yankees get whipped game after game after game by the Red Sox this year and barely hold onto 3rd place. What I will really enjoy though is watching the highest payrolled team in sports not even get into the post season this year, it makes the loss of my Expos tolerable. And I won't even go into when the owners (besides that idiot Steinbrenner), try to force a salary cap in baseball once it happens in hockey. I'd say at most you've got 3-5 years of cheering for your overpayed clowns, very soon they'll be in the same boat as everyone else (unfortunately it will probably help that team).
    At least I've still got Vladdy though,
    Jay
  • Options

<< <i>Harden will replace Hudson quite well I believe this year, to the tune of about 15 wins and a 3.10 E.R.A. Hudson on the other hand will get lit up in Atlanta IMO. >>

Hudson will pitch just as well in atlanta. Why? Mazzone. Keep in mind why atlanta continues to top the ERA in the NL year in and year out. Mazzone. If he can make john burkett, denny neagle and jaret wright into cy young contenders, having a guy like hudson...who is nearly a maddux clone (minus the K potential)...will be an easy job. Additionally, turner field is a pitcher's park...and he has three great defensive players up the middle backing him up.

<< <i>The guys I like this year are Tony Armas Jr. and Claudio Vargas. These guys should really step it up a notch and I believe they will be very late picks in fantasy pools yet have HUGE upside potential. >>

Armas is a project waiting to succeed. I think of him as the NL version of joel pineiro in terms of pitching style and the NL version of Rafael Soriano in terms of potential marred by injuries. I do agree he can have a great year...its just whether or not he can stay healthy. I am not so high on vargas...i would take a healthy zach day over vargas. He should be a decent middle of the rotation guy, but the rotation should be hernandez, armas, day...followed by patterson and then vargas.

To the original question...just keep an eye out on the tribe. Last year, hafner, coco crisp, jake westbrook, martinez and casey blake had breakthrough years. The year before that was david riske, jody gerut, cc sabathia and cliff lee. This year, peralta, phillips and sizemore will get the playing time. I expect one or all to follow suit and play well. Also, luis terrero in AZ. People continually talk about jeremy reed, alexis rios and david dejesus as far as top young outfielders to watch next season....i think terrero needs to be on that list.
  • Options
    MajorDanby.
    I agree in part with your assessment of Armas, but I still believe he has a higher upside that even what you projected for him. Honestly, and I know Javy Vasquez gets alot of flack from Yankees fans here, but I would put him up in that category soon. Or, as per my earlier post, a Harden type year.
    Unfortunately I don't hold Day in as high regard as you do. I believe he'll be one of those guys who has trouble staying in the rotation--and I like the guy, don't get me wrong. But I can see him ending up more like Jeff Juden than anything, and if he does hang around having a career like a Kevin Gross (not bad, but you're not going to bet the farm on him).

I guess I really wasn't in tune with the gist of this subject as I was coming up with names that are going to be waaaaaaaaaay down the list on many pool rankings this year that should be much higher (IMO). Alot of the rookies being bantered around will end up showing no love, which happens most years. I find in baseball, 9 out of 10 times it takes at least 2 years, many times 3, for a young player to start to show what he can really do. I rarely take rookies in any pools, you're just setting yourself up for a fall that way.
    Jay
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    Since you guys are talking Nationals pitching I'm going to mention Patterson for having a semi-breakout year. I think he's going to take Day's spot in the rotation and have a pretty decent season. If he doesn't get in the rotation you'll probably see him get traded, which would be a mistake.