Home Sports Talk
Options

Comeback player of the year?

CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
With the BB season approaching, who do you think will be the comeback player for 2005? My pick is Sosa, with an improved attitude and more protection in the lineup, could put up some big numbers again.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan

Comments

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few weeks ago, I would have agreed with you about his attitude. But I heard a few weeks ago that when he arrived for his first press conference in an Oriole uniform, that he was picked up by Orioles personel in a pickup truck. He told the guy that there was no way that he was going to ride in a pickup truck, but that he had to have a limo. So, they ordered a limo to pick him up.

I lost a lot of respect for him when I heard that.

Comeback player of the year - Troy Glaus.

Shane

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I am hoping Griffey Jr. finally finds a way to make it through an entire season and stay healthy and productive.
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    My vote is the Phillies Pat Burrell. He is still young enough to regain his touch. Sosa and Griffey are old.
    Wondo

• Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Frank - Didn't hear that story about Sammy, guess some things never change. Glaus, Jr., and Burrell are all good choices.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    Griffey is a perrenial favorite, I'm also picking Piazza to have a better year. But I'm hoping the comeback player of the year will be Matt Morris.
  • Options
    AL - Hope it is Mike Sweeney. When he is healthy, he is one of the best RH hitters in the league. Too bad no one pays attention when he plays in KC, which is a great baseball town. If he gets traded, perhaps his exposure will increase.

NL - here are my three candidates - Troy Glaus even though he is a cheater image (and although scouts say he has lost his throwing ability), Ken Griffey Jr., and Shawn Green.

And those stories about Sosa are very true. He leaves Chicago as a prima donna and ends up in Baltimore as a prima donna. As Baltimore is predicted to finish third behind NY and BOS, you will see Sosa focus on his personal stats more than ever. This may translate into a productive year, but it can also translate into a 40 homer, 85 RBI, 160K season. However, I hope it works out for him.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    AL-Richie Sexson
    NL-Rick Ankiel
    Collect vintage basketball and baseball,graded rookies allsports, Robin Yount,Brewers,Bucks,Packers
    Putting together a set of 61 Fleer Basketball PSA 7 or better.
    Trade references: T,Raf12,Coach Vinny,Iceman,McDee2,Lantz,JSA
  • Options

<< <i>AL-Richie Sexson
    NL-Rick Ankiel >>

Sexson was my next pick, but too bad he decided to go to that dump of a ballpark for hitters known as Safeco. It might be a beautiful park, but it is biased too much towards the pitchers.

Hopefully, someone as powerful as Sexson can still blast them out of there. He was fun to watch in Milwaukee. It is also too bad that most of America will probably not know what he is doing for most of the season since he plays in Seattle.

I'm not sure Ankiel will be on my list. Sure, he has nowhere to go but up, but I ranked others higher.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990
    Jason Giambi

He cameback to the Yankees, didn't he?
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    Nomar
  • Options
    Andy Pettite
  • Options
    Sentimental pick is Galaraga.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Pettite is a good choice in the NL - Wade Miller could surprise a lot of people in the AL.
  • Options
    Ah man, Galaraga having a big year like he did with the Braves a few years ago would be so nice, but I think his time is done. Before Guerrero he was the man in my opinion, and leading the league in strikeouts and hits like he did in 88 may never be done again. What a ballplayer, saw him live in Montreal many times and he always brought the crowd (although sometimes a small crowd), to their feet.
    Jay
  • Options
    Well, it looks like it won't be Galaraga. Too bad he has to retire one homer short of 400.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.