Home Sports Talk

Cardinals Fans - Ankiel Career Move

frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
ESPN.com story says that Rick Ankiel has decided to call it quits with a pitching career. He is going to try to make the team as an outfielder.

Ankiel Career Move

What do y'all think? He was a great batter FOR A PITCHER, but to do it full time? I dunno. I think he should have at least tried this year to pitch. He had so much potential.

Shane

Comments

• AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Not sure if I remember him, but wasn't he the one who had the great postseason, then basically had a breakdown and couldn't throw a strike any more?
  • CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    I agree that if this what he wanted to do he should have done it sooner. He's out of options so he'll have to become a good enough outfielder during the rest of spring training to make the team. I was really shocked that he made this decision after his game got rained out, I could see it if he couldn't throw strikes again after that, but at least give it one more shot. He pitched pretty well at the end of last year an in winter ball.
  • I hope he makes it. (Sorry I posted a similar message. I hadn't seen yours.)
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• coachhcoachh Posts: 529
    My first thought was;

Sell the 3rd base box seats before I get killed.

Then I decided, he is finished in MLB.
  • CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    The question is: Can he hit the cutoff man?

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    His career is over. No chance he'll make the pro team, they put him on waivers where he will go unclaimed, and give him a shot in A or AA in the OF, where it will quickly be realized that he can't hit or field at a level high enough for him to advance, and that will be that.

Now, if another team ever thought they could make a pitcher out of him, they could try to claim him, but it would be a poor move.