Home Sports Talk
Options

Which sports have an undisputable best?

WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
Is there a serious challenge to Gretzky or Ruth? What other sports have had such a dominating figure. I read the basketball one, so don't say that.
Wondo

Comments

• Options
    I'm taking a guess and saying that soccer has Pele?

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    Cycling has Armstrong.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basketball has Michael Jordan - oops! image

Shane

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    In other sports such as baseball and football, how do you measure the all time best? In these sports, you have a variety of players doing many, many different things at the same time, so it's difficult to measure one BEST over everyone else.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Bass Fishing has Jimmy Houston
    Good for you.
  • Options
    The NFL has the Patriots......
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Nobody better in wrestling lore, past or present, than Bruno Sanmartino. image
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    DirtyHarry -- I grew up in the same neighborhood where Bruno Samartino lived in the northen Pittsburgh and saw him all the time. He had a son, David, one year younger than me and we chatted a lot - especially when he worked at a health club where I worked out. He had a nice big house and it had an indoor pool which was pretty rare in those days. There was another wrestler who went by the name of John L. Sullivan and he used to lift weights outside in his front yard in the summer in a speedo which seemed a little weird to us. I remember that a local TV station had a Saturday afternoon wrestling show and several of the local wrestlers including Samartino were regulars. It was hosted by Bill Cardille who also lived close by. In fact, Baseball Hall of Famer Pie Traynor used to be a regular on that show selling aluminum siding. I once remember my dad telling me that wrestling was fixed and that Samartino was not really a world champion, because each major city had their own "world champion". Later of course I found out that wrestling was indeed fixed but was later amazed to find out that Samartino was a wrestling legend across the entire country for nearly a decade.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    In boxing there is nobody coming close p4p to Bernard Hopkins. He is 42 though so we will see how long he can keep this going.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Sanmartino was actually atheletic and put guys down before the sport became show biz.

Hopkins is good in today's marketing BS on weight classes, promoters, belts, etc....I like him. It's all strategic marketing for him. His prior peers would knock him on his ass.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I saw David Sanmartino wrestle on WWF during the 80's. Even Bruno had a comeback during the 80's as well. I am no expert in wrestling, but these are things I saw on TV with my own eyes.

I am sure Bruno Sanmartino wrestled in an era where it was a sport. The entertainment part came later I believe.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    Jeanette Lee in women's 9-ball....she ain't hard too look at either.