Home U.S. Coin Forum

Question about 1805/4 half dollar in 1999 B+M Childs auction - Pistareen, help!

PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭
Lot 337 in the 1999 Bowers + Merena auction of the Walter Childs collection was an 1805/4 O.103 half dollar, which is a classic rarity to us Bust Half Nuts. Unfortunately, the coin was not plated in the catalog! No online photo exists that I am aware of. I am trying to positively identify this coin, and I'm hoping that:

1) Someone here is the owner or has personal knowledge of where the coin went.

2) Someone at ANR or B+M may know where to dig up a photo record of the coin. I think there's a good chance that a photo was taken during catalog preparation, but was edited out at some point.

3) Someone has knowledge of where the coin came from - possibly from an older auction appearance with a photo.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭
    ttt
    Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
  • photogphotog Posts: 242 ✭✭
    Unless JK can totally scrape his brain cells and dredge up a memory of this coin he probably won't be able to help. Bowers and Merena holds all the old files and things. I would contact someone in their offices, maybe they can do some digging for you.

Jenna
  • PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Alas, scraping brain cells won't help much -- I wasn't at B+M yet when the Childs collection came to auction.

I will ask some of the other staffers what they may or may not remember. Unfortunately, if it wasn't photographed in the catalogue, I doubt a photo exists. Jenna correctly noted that the B+M photo archives no longer exist in Wolfeboro, and most of the images that were preserved from even the Bowers and Ruddy days were unceremoniously deposited in a dumpster. I regret to this day not being in town at the time to go dumpster diving.

Regarding where the coin came from, the collection was assembled at an early enough date that it is possible that it was never photographed in a sale catalogue before Childs too.

My recommendation would be to find a dealer who was in the room when the collection sold, and hope they noted prices and names in their catalogue. You may be able to track the thing that way.
    Jenna and John - a sincere thank you very much for the replies and recommendations!
  • Is that you Jenna in your pic?

Cameron Kiefer
  • JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    Hell, no, it is not Jenna.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore

• << <i>Hell, no, it is not Jenna. >>

I didn't know. Who is it then?

Cameron Kiefer
  • photogphotog Posts: 242 ✭✭
    Julian- you're incorrect, it is I, your princess in that photo! Shot after a play one night so my hair was done.

Jenna
    I love blondes!

• << <i>I love blondes! >>

Me too! Blondes are A+

Cameron Kiefer
  • elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414

<< <i> Jenna correctly noted that the B+M photo archives no longer exist in Wolfeboro, and most of the images that were preserved from even the Bowers and Ruddy days were unceremoniously deposited in a dumpster. I regret to this day not being in town at the time to go dumpster diving. >>

That's a damn shameimage
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    And this is why I believe pedigree and provenance and history is so meaningful in numismatics.

Q: What kind of collector or numismatist takes years of history and scholarship and just gives it the old heave-ho into one of those rusty royal blue dumpsters?

A: Neither. Its some bean-counter or his minions who is operating a coin business but could just as easily be selling aluminum siding or used automobiles.

Good luck on your noble quest, Pre-Turb.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file