Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Did the Scher Collection raise the profile of 3 CNs?

RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
Frankly, I never gave a passing thought to the coins. Now, with all of the excitement and buzz around the Scher Collection and the subsequent Legend purchase of the set, I have actually looked at some pictures of the coins. They are quite nice!

Can recent events like these create interest in a dormant series like 3 CNs? Will the interest last or flame out when the next high profile collection comes to auction? Will there be a similar ignition in interest created by the Jewell Collection of $3's and the Bowers/Winter book (or is there already enough interest in that series that the Jewell sale will have no effect)?

These are some things I ponder. image

Comments

• Options
    Yes they are....

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    As well, I've always like the 3CN design, but it has always seemed to be a doormat. Two things against it are that it was never a 'robust' circulating coinage, and the small size.

I predict a flame-out.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe for a couple of weeks.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Maybe on this board, for a day or two, but that's about it.

Frankly, I don't see what the big deal of Laura buying the set is all about. It's a great accomplishment to build a great set like that. It's another thing to buy it intact. Guess it's that registry mentality... BFD!

I can see it now - the expedition is just about to reach the top of Mt. Everest, and here comes Laura dropped off at the top by her helicopter...
  • Options
    mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I can see it now - the expedition is just about to reach the top of Mt. Everest, and here comes Laura dropped off at the top by her helicopter... >>

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimage

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe on this board, for a day or two, but that's about it.

Frankly, I don't see what the big deal of Laura buying the set is all about. It's a great accomplishment to build a great set like that. It's another thing to buy it intact. Guess it's that registry mentality... BFD!

I can see it now - the expedition is just about to reach the top of Mt. Everest, and here comes Laura dropped off at the top by her helicopter... >>

Exactly!....image
  • Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭
    Bruce seems to be a low profile kind of guy who happens to have collected a number of top collections. Since there can only be one finest set, it makes more sense to buy it than to compete against it. This collection is a great match for Laura and will probably become a display piece for Legend. In that regard, people will become more aware of an often overlooked series.

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope not, I'm collecting those little jems and don't want them to take off yet.
  • Options
    PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭
    Well, THIS Bruce loves 3CN but I have to agree with the major sentiment here. After all is said and done, no when will still give a rats a$$ for them. I think if the series will ever thrive, it will be because new collectors move onto more advanced collections and see something new and odd about the series and go to it. Actually, the new "nickels" could potentially help, because they were a "Nickel" of their time.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Robert

you raise a point which seems to have touched a nerve with some, interest in their favorite series being low. oh well. i find it strange that collectors would claim to be only collectors yet are concerned with the attention----think $$$$$$$$$----paid to their favorite. why would you want an inordinate amount of the hobby going after coins like these 3CN's which are already tough to find, unless it's because the attention would increase the value of what you have?? wait a minute, that kind of thinking would invoke the dreaded I word, the dreaded investor tag. it's probably better to congratulate the low-key approach of Mr. Scher and what he accomplished, then pursue the coins within the collector clan that appreciates them.

sometimes no respect is a good thing and the quiet man wins his just desserts.

al h.image
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I always liked the design of those coins. I never thought to buy one though. My interest may have increased as a result, but I doubt that I will become a serious collector of them. It's a very attractive set, though.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I have one, basically cause it was an interesting coin that I wanted at one time, now no interest in more really.

Kinda like the 20 cent coin, whenever I can find one I like in the proper grade.
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    one thing that's always struck me about 3CN's as well as the other red-headed-Numismatic-stepchildren----two-cent/three-cent silver/twenty-cent----is the number of coins that still exist, the absolute rarity in any grade of these coins. it might not seem like they are scarce based on the numbers seen at shops and shows, but what we're seeing is all that there are, especially the proof issues which were miniscule out of the gate. this is kind of a result of the coins being unpopular. many dealers acquire them as a result of buying collections and then they are almost a gift. one neat way to collect is by die clash within a certain date. two dates that i find clashed with a higher frequency are 1865 and 1868.

al h.image
  • Options
    One reason I probably never really liked them (3CNs) is that most of the ones that I have seen are circulated, often very circulated. As a circ coin it is not nearly as attractive to me as a seated coin, buffalo nickel, or coronet gold coin.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭

NO NO NO not as yet but there is always an exception as to the rule of the sweet tender yet extremely unpopular misunderstood fantastically beautiful innocent orphan PROOF three cent nicks.......... strongly mirrored and/or strongly cameoed coins and wildly colored or even decently colored proof coins and also the ice blue mint tissue toned proofs

thees are currently in decent demand and this will soon become a huge explosion of interest sometime in the future as to what specific time in the future i do not know but this is good as then many collectors and quietly buy great coins at fantastic value opportunity costs

AND THERE IS DECENT reasonable supply to fill the needs of some contraian hungry collectors with regards to three cent nick proofs

and again sometime inthe future hopefully not too distant future three cent nickels will explode in demand a huge explosion like someone stepping on a huge overfilled creme donut being stepped on suddenly with all the delicious white sweet oil and sugar mixture spattering all over the place in the bakery only with the proof three cent nicks this will be an even bigger explosion and as long as the coins have gresat eye appeal and decent mirrors they will be in hot demand

but of course the monster deeply cameoed copinage and the wildly colored coinage and the mint tissue ice bluie coinage of proof three cent nicks you can get now will then be priceless gems locked away in collections and only a princely money well spent i might add will most probably not be able to draw this really uncommon scarce masterpieces out of their hiding places

maybe only a precious few for the lucky collector

as they say at the robins nest the early bird gets the worm

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Nah, not at all.

Although it is somewhat strange that the telemarketers haven't done a promotion on these.

Tom
  • Options
    Although it is somewhat strange that the telemarketers haven't done a promotion on these.

Seems to me that with gold and silver at historically high prices and the SS Republic gold hoard about to hit the market in a big way, 3CNs would not have much draw for the uninitiated investor/speculator crowd.
  • Options
    The 3CN along with two-cent/three-cent silver/twenty-cent are all geat series to collect for their oddity and they can actually be completed for a reasonable cost.

The Scher certainly cast them in a new light and that cannot hurt.

I also agree the proof 3CN when cameoed are works of art.
    Collector of early copper, pre 1900 currency, PCGS MS64+ Saints.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    cant bew a promotion of decent beautiful deeply mirrored cameo and colored three cent nicks in proof

there are not enough to be able to have a promotion

these coins are more scarce decent beautiful deeply mirrored cameo and colored three cent nicks in proof
    than early gold and a much better value
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    I got one nice one for my type set. I see no reason to buy any more for the rest of my life.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    At one time, I put together a complete set of 3CNs. Sold all but one, which I kept for my type set. Same with 2 centers.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cu/ ni coins have been gaining a lot more attention worldwide in the last several years as collectors
    begin to see that many of these have been neglected. The 3c nickel is among the earliest of the modern
    cu/ni coinages and is roughly equivalent to today's quarter in purchasing power. As time goes on it is
    quite possible these will come to be seen as the granddaddy of all cu/ni coins.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Cu/ ni coins have been gaining a lot more attention worldwide in the last several years as collectors
    begin to see that many of these have been neglected. The 3c nickel is among the earliest of the modern
    cu/ni coinages and is roughly equivalent to today's quarter in purchasing power. As time goes on it is
    quite possible these will come to be seen as the granddaddy of all cu/ni coins. >>

---Ahhhhh...to dream! Granddaddy, huh?
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a 3CN proof fanatic, I am powerless to resist posting to this thread!

Actually, I sort of backed into this series. When I first got back into the hobby in 1999, I found Scott Travers book on underrated series, and he mentioned the 3CN proofs: short, affordable, etc.

As I've gotten into them, I have really fallen in love with the classic simplicity of the design. The cameo effect, particularly the deep cameo, knocks your socks off. It really looks like grandma's brooch at the neck! And for a long time, I had my way pretty much with the series, only worrying about Scher pummeling me at auction when we were after the same coin.

Bruce's MS series is something to see. I was happy to see Laura bidding on it and preserving its integrity. A series of that calibre would not have been assembled in a generation, IMO, if it had been broken up.

I've found that over the past year, a number of other collectors have entered the siries (at least the proofs). Fortunately, the 3CN proofs remain an affordable backwater, but not quite as secret as it used to be.

Like most folks, I started with the modern era, and moved back to explore historical series. There's a fascination about 19th and 18th century coinage, with their less certain and more ideosyncratic production. Not everything is a PR69DCAM or PR70DCAM.

I presume that as long as the hobby continues its upward trajectory and bona fide collectors continue to enter the market, people will find their way to all corners of the coin universe--including the 3CNs--sooner or later. When things dip, though, these less well-known series will be the first to fall back down. The Scher auction was a harbinger of the times/state of the market overall.
  • Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An old post, but what the hey. image

Looks like Business Strikes are a much rarer breed:

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess it's safe to answer the original question with, "I guess not."

I don't see that there will ever be enough of these in one place at a time for a Well Managed Promotion™.
  • Options
    Wow, I do not remember starting a thread about 3 cent nickes. LOL
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I miss many of the previous posters. I miss the variety I found when I first arrived here.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I miss many of the previous posters. I miss the variety I found when I first arrived here. >>

I see our very own Longacre replied to the post way back in 2005. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love 3c pieces, sold my set ages ago. I think the Scher collection was just another demo of the gap between Top Pop and regular coins.

Funny think about the 3c pieces...I bought them...5 years later I sold them for the same amount, 5 years later I could have bought them back for the same again...is that what defines a backwater?

edit=typo
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Missed it the first time around - some great quotes. image

No interest here. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭

<< <i>Did the Scher Collection raise the profile of 3 CNs?

>>

That sentance contains two things i have never heard of. image
  • Options
    For a brief moment in time, dpoole was happy. I want David to be happy image

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file