Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The demise of vinatge

I was talking with a friend today. He seems to think that once all of the baby boomers and the generation that followed are dead and buried there will be ZERO interest in these cards that we all throw money at. Thus rendering all of our collections worthless in the future. image

feedback please!

edited to say that one too many Fosters tonight made me spell "vintage" wrong in this threads title image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

Comments

• Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    I would have to disagree, I am a 34 year old perfessional and my ONLY interest is vintage, from my 1933 Goudey set to 1975 topps. True collectibles will never lessen in value IMHO.
  • Options
    People have been collecting vintage for a LONG time. I never saw Babe Ruth play, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to have some of his cards. Vintage cards are the best bet for future growth, if you are just talking about the investment end. Even if you aren't into the monetary part of it, the vintage cards just look better. Why do you think the Heritage cards are always so popular?
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    I'm 24 and collect vintage.

What do you care anyway? By the time no one else cares to collect vintage you'll be dead and gone anyway.

Can I have your cards when that happens? image
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm 24 and collect vintage.

What do you care anyway? By the time no one else cares to collect vintage you'll be dead and gone anyway.

Can I have your cards when that happens? image >>

HARDLY a question of me "caring"

just looking for feedback about a topic that someone (a friend of mine) who collects these cards OBVIOUSLY differs in opinion with you 100%

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knuckles
    Softparade asked a good question. You said you were 24...careful you don't wind up showing your age...if you get my drift.

Stone
    Mike
  • Options
    Dan
    Jefferson Burdick - sometimes referred to as the "father of baseball card collecting" wrote his friends all the time about collecting and who is doing it. In the 1930's to the 50's collecting was an adult obsession which then moved to the kids. Some say it has gone full circle and is moving back to the adults. The major hobby publications and card companies are aware of the trend and are doing everything they can to keep the interest of the children.

Collecting may be an inate behavior - so ingrained in our behavior, that there will always be collectors of something. Of course, time will tell - IMO, your 78T graded set will be in the proud hands of one of your relatives who will view it as priceless!

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    What's vinatge? I heard of vintage but not vinat-ge.
  • Options

<< <i>What's vinatge? I heard of vintage but not vinat-ge. >>

The French pronouciation?

edit: you're a tough audience 2nite! image
    Mike
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I think most people start as modern collectors. It's what's readily available and there in front of you. I think a certain percentage of baseball fans and card collectors inevitably always switch over to vintage. They like the historical perspective, they like the simpler game, when players were heroes, etc. etc.

I don't think vintage collecting will every fall off...there's just far too much historical significance to the cards of that era for them to devalue completely.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I listened to the poster's friend and went to a dealer today and traded all my vintage cards for a pretty set of 1991 Topps. He was so happy with the deal he even threw in his wife for the weekend.
  • Options

<< <i>I think most people start as modern collectors. It's what's readily available and there in front of you. I think a certain percentage of baseball fans and card collectors inevitably always switch over to vintage. They like the historical perspective, they like the simpler game, when players were heroes, etc. etc.

I don't think vintage collecting will every fall off...there's just far too much historical significance to the cards of that era for them to devalue completely. >>

Ax
    I agree intuitively. But, what about the premise by some that there may be no one to purchase this stuff and thus rendered by demand of no value? There's got to be a buyer or they will sit on the shelf.

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Dan
    Jefferson Burdick - sometimes referred to as the "father of baseball card collecting" wrote his friends all the time about collecting and who is doing it. In the 1930's to the 50's collecting was an adult obsession which then moved to the kids. Some say it has gone full circle and is moving back to the adults. The major hobby publications and card companies are aware of the trend and are doing everything they can to keep the interest of the children.

Collecting may be an inate behavior - so ingrained in our behavior, that there will always be collectors of something. Of course, time will tell - IMO, your 78T graded set will be in the proud hands of one of your relatives who will view it as priceless!

your friend
    Mike >>

Mike, when I complete this beast of a set I will enjoy it until the day my son relinquishes control of it. He plays baseball in high school. He has no interest in sports cards or memorabila ..........

• Options
    I seem to just collect EVERYTHING!!!

Vintage has it's appeal because it's retro cool. I am 26 and have a decent amount of vintage cards, so I guess I dont' fit the original question of being a baby boomer, since I am assuming you are talking about people now around 50 years old.

People like other things that are vintage, classic cars for one, so there will always be an interest in vintage items.

However, I think our hobby will face a death sentence soon. Younger people do not seem to care that much about cards, there are some that do, but the #'s are much smaller. The hobby will become more of a niche market than it already is.

So I agree that the demise of vintage, compared to today is possible, but I think it will be more of a reflection of the entire hobby as a whole.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    There are several ways to look upon this subject so heres my 2 cents worth.
    Vintage cards will always have a demand due to scarcity. However, because PSA and other grading companies place our dearly beloved items in a little plastic case the amount of cards that will be ruined will decrease substantialy hence, the population of those cards will remain intact. I will not disagree that there will inevitably be those collections that do get ruined via disaster but that will be less than the amount in the past ruined due to dropping a card, spilling a drink on it etc. thanks to our little plastic friends.

So if the population of cards stays somewhat the same and the level of demand drops because of the card collectors population then I would have to assume prices for certian cards would in fact go down. Basic economics teaches us that if supply is greater than demand the price will drop until supply = demand. We already know that the supply side is somewhat stable and only going to grow as more and more cards are holdered. Then what will be the desire of future collectors? The demand side of the equation tells us our answer.

The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    The cards that kids think are so hot today will someday be "vintage." Only there'll be a zillion of them, almost every one still mint, so it seems strange to think of those as vintage. I prefer cards where 9 is not considered a low-end grade, but that's me. Whatever works for you.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Way I see it....there were collectors before I was born and there will be collectors when I am dead. What will be in demand? Gosh, I wish I had a crystal ball for the next 20 years! I dont think there will ever be a shortage of vintage collectors because there will never be a shortage of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. People will still know who Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, and Mickey Mantle are in 100 years...so they will seek those gems!
    If vintage ever crashes, I'll be the first one in line with my 5 bucks for that 1956 Topps Mickey Mantle!
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    People COME ON!!! WIth all the crapola out there in baseball right now everyone KNOWS that the true pioneers of this game were in the vintage years.......prewar and topps vintage era 50's-mid 70's....U think people are going to suddenly STOP USING EBAY??? This hobby might have died if the communication burier between vintage consumers had never formed....BUT ITS HERE NOW....AND IT WILL ONLY GROW LARGER

loth
  • Options
    I couldn't disagree more. Vintage cards will always have an audience. I'm an example in that I'm in my early 30s and I'm collecting 1915 Cracker Jack cards.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    OR...maybe we are all in denial? Naaahhhhh....cant be! image
  • Options
    That could possibly be the goofiest reasoning I have ever heard. Me, like most everyone I know, learned the game and to appreciate it through family members. My case, my grandfather used to tell me stories of the old Gas House Gang, the 44 World Series between the Browns and Cardinals, and his hero, Stan the Man. So based on your friend's advice, you would not want to own a nice Mantle rookie? Maybe an early 50's Jackie Robinson? Apparently what your friend is missing about baseball is, it's based on its history, unlike any other sport. Not that other sports aren't fun to watch or play, but I have never heard nor read a thread about the greatest basketball team ever, the best assist man in the NHL, or which NFL lineman would make an all-time team. Look through some of old threads on these message boards, countless entries for alll-time players, all-time teams, best players of the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, etc.

If anything, your friend is 180% worng, vintage will continue to grow and modern will fall off. Just one baseball fan's opinion.

(edit for spelling)
    Stan Musial topped the .300 mark 17 times and won seven National League batting titles. A three-time MVP, he played in 24 All-Star Games. Probably, the greatest player who is overlooked and underappreciated.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    IMHO, a more relevant parable is this:

When I was a kid collecting in the late '50's early '60's, "vintage" meant tobacco cards and pre-war cards. There were a few of those that I remember - a miniscule amount, however, when compared to the number of vintage collectors today. I believe we have created a bedrock of collecting security.

Or I don't know WTF I'm talking about....I'm not far from knock knock knocking anyways!
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    I also agree anything is possible, but due to the sheer popularity of the game, i doubt it will happen. True vintage is quite scarce. when you have many pre-war sets with total POPSless then 10,000 there just isn't much product to go around. If you consider 50-60s crds, its a bit more shakey. I think there are toooons of 50=60s raw simply due to the cost of slabbing. I do not think there are tooons of prewar raw at the 5 level or higher. I'm 30 years old. I never even saw mantle, maris, or gibson let alone gehrig, ruth, foxx, dimaggio, cobb, etc... what draws me to them ultimately is the scarcity and the "true" meaning of the game. Cardboard cards with no flash bought by some kid in a 5 and dime thrown in a box, surviving wars, paper drives, then 70 years later in my hand as a PSA 4. not perfect, but been through 2 generations of feeling "its not worth anything" and now it is. Not only this, but can you think of a collectible that takes up such little space? I have thousands in pre-war and it still fits in a neat little box. Unlike many other collectibles that are hard to store, ship, etc...

Does it seem that when younger people generations removed from the players go to vintage due they have a tendancy to go for pre-war, or 50-60s? i'm really not sure. Probably not pre-war due to the cost, but thats just a guess.

Excellent topic!!!!!

GG
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    For me is does not matter as I am taking my "vinatage" with me.

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>...can you think of a collectible that takes up such little space? I have thousands in pre-war and it still fits in a neat little box... GG >>

Wow, I hope that "neat little box" is made of fireproof material and has a lock on the front. If not, please PM me your home address and your work schedule image
  • Options
    I've always somewhat agreed with your friend's assement. But saying demand will go to zero is a bit extreme.

I think you'll start to see decline in demand of the some of the lesser stars and set building/collecting in general, but the legendary stars should always be in demand; Ruth, Mantle, Aaron, Cobb.

The main core of collectors with large colllections or building sets in the 50s and 60s grew up with those cards, and are retired with lots of disposable income. They aren't the only ones, but defintely the majority.

So let's say you have a card that bids up to $5000, because there are 3 people willing to pay $4000-5000 for it. When those 3 people leave the hobby, you have 10-15 people willing to $2800-$3500 for the card. And so on and so forth, basic supply/demand economics. You have to realize that these top bidders are willing to pay as much as they can afford (even if it means way over "book" value) just to have the cards they cherish. They aren't buying these up thinking it will make them rich in 5 years, so they don't care what the "listed" values are. This leads to some outrageous prices. What you have is a very very very small percentage of players boosting the prices up by a very large percentage (and this is what makes rare sportscards a bad investment; poor risk/reward ratio).

When this small percentage of players are out of collecting, will they be replaced by others willing to pay the same price? In my opinion, no, because they are the ones who grew up with those sets, who idolized those players; I can't see another generation coming along and having the same type of demand for that material. But "demise", that's a bit extreme.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By that same argument, interest in N and T cards should be long dead by now. We all now that is not the case...N/T cards are one of the best areas around.

Steve
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    WHAT'S N/T? i THINK i MAY HAVE SOME REFFRACTORS FROM THOSE SETS.
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    YES, I JUST LOOKED AND I DEFINITELY HAVE A CAP ANSON CHROME AND A JOE TINKER ATOMIC REFRACTOR.
  • Options

<< <i>YES, I JUST LOOKED AND I DEFINITELY HAVE A CAP ANSON CHROME AND A JOE TINKER ATOMIC REFRACTOR. >>

Mike
  • Options
    Let's keep in mind that Softparade was referencing a friend who may not be a big collector and have a feel for the hobby.

There will always be a collecting community out there. But unless they see the value in this very expensive vintage stuff, don't expect them to plunk down righteous bucks unless the hype remains.

I read last night that the boomers are driving the bus on this high priced foray - unless the next generation perceives value in pursuing the same road, expect a somewhat decline IMO.

So, we come full circle, back to the big debate we have periodically here: embrace the modern collectors for they are our future and the ones that will be picking up these collections which will allow the boomers to bask in the sunshine of Florida for the next few decades! image

your future retired friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    None of it matters if you are a collector.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I seem to just collect EVERYTHING!!! >>

same here.. i collect all kinda stuff.. as far as cards go, i collect vintage and modern.. i have a warehouse full of other crap too, from old record albums, antique hardback books, vintage postcards, comics, ... i think alot of people will always have an interest in history, whether it be 20 years from now or 150 years from now.. sports cards are historical.. there are people who collect prehistoric artifacts! so i think there will ALWAYS be a decent market for vintage..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Your friend is right. I will take all that pesky vintage material off your hands for a stack of shiny cards of a bunch of today's greats.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    What Engineer said. I have seen the light. Vintage is going down down down. But for some perverse reason I like it, even though it doesn't have the long-term value of the cool stuff pulled from packs at Wal-Mart yesterday. So dump the old crap on me, I'm a masochist.
  • Options

<< <i>Your friend is right. I will take all that pesky vintage material off your hands for a stack of shiny cards of a bunch of today's greats. >>

never mentioned my opinion or what "my hands might have" Also never mentioned "shiny modern" either. I love when a thread runs amuck!image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Your friend is right. I will take all that pesky vintage material off your hands for a stack of shiny cards of a bunch of today's greats. >>

never mentioned my opinion or what "my hands might have" Also never mentioned "shiny modern" either. I love when a thread runs amuck!image >>

Dan
    Most of these guys are just funnin around IMO.
    And it is getting a bit off topic in a sense - I think there is a possibility that the demand for vintage at these kinds of prices just may be a stretch to a non-baby boomer. But who knows? If I were that smart, I would have done a better job with my mutual funds!

As I said before - there will always be people looking for the old vintage stuff! If anything, when faced with all that inflationary crap from the 80's on - they may find 19th and turn of the 20th century items very attractive IMO.

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    its all good. I got the feedback I wanted to see image

• Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Today's shiny referactors are tomorrow's vintage.
  • Options
    I completely disagree with you. I see increasing value and interest in vintage (Pre-1972) cards over the next twenty years. The cards are rare in high-grade due to being mishandled by young hands. Due to the sheer number of modern cards out there and the fact that almost every single one is in mint condition will ultimately decrease their value steeply over the coming years. Vintage (especially star cards) are the only way to go.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I just heard the same argument last week from a NON-collector. I told him I wasn't concerned as I enjoy improving my collection. I enjoy looking at Ebay, I enjoy reading these boards (usually) and I enjoy looking at my cards! If they are worth money and I need to sell them one day then great. If not, oh well... at least I do not waste money on other things that non-collectors may spend money on. Additionally, people still collect coins, stamps, postcards, etc... so why won't there always be baseball card collectors who have a desire to buy vintage cards!? I say keep on buying the vintage stuff! For the record, I am in my mid 30's.
  • Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    I have to disagree. I am 23, and have been collecting vintage PSA cards for the last 4 years. More and more I collect the more fun it gets. Heck, I am going to grad school now and my driving force is to get done with school so I can get back to supporting my 1959 Topps Collection. *cough cough* addiction! image

Jeff
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    I smoke Vantage ultra lights - and damn!! I think your friend is correct. Since Marlboro started discounting, I can't find a pack anywhere. I'm now puffing on a Marlboro ultra light!

Kidding... but I think the premise is off the mark. Vintage cards have the benefit of fairly well established values. The grading phenomena is a great thing.....it is encouraging both protection of these future relics and venues in the public domain that provide documentaion of populations in desireable conditions. Also, as PA and others point out, there is a tie to history. Time will tell what "modern" sets, and obviously RC's, will establish solid collector demand. But the value and demand for vintage is well entrenched.

Some outta left field comparisions, there is still a huge demand in the numismatic world for pre-1900 US coins. In stamp world, the vinatge issues also are holding relatively strong and in demand. If you collect Belleek china, the "black mark" production issues pre-1900 have gained substantially. IMO, regards.

"A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options

<< <i>I completely disagree with you. I see increasing value and interest in vintage (Pre-1972) cards over the next twenty years. The cards are rare in high-grade due to being mishandled by young hands. Due to the sheer number of modern cards out there and the fact that almost every single one is in mint condition will ultimately decrease their value steeply over the coming years. Vintage (especially star cards) are the only way to go. >>

Sayhey
    The time frame that Softparade's friend was using involved the death of the boomers AND the next generation - the oldest boomer right now is turning 60 this year and the next generation - their children is somewhere between 30 to 40 yrs old - that means we are talking about 30 to 40 years down the road.

It is conceivable that there can be a decline in value if my son's children have no use for vintage or modern sportscards and memorabilia. My son is 22 and has no use for the stuff anymore and he lives in a house with a maniac!

This topic seems to have struck a raw nerve or something. I promise you, that all your stuff will be worth good money over the next 40 years - but keep an open mind - that may not last forever.

Later generations may see the truly vintage as a novelty not worth purchasing at the "boomer" driven prices. I have been in the collecting world since 1979 and seriously since 1989 and the explosion of prices is boomer driven IMO.

Of course, only time will tell.
    Like Winpitcher, I plan to be buried with my stuff!!!

Mike
  • Options
    My opinion, which is worth what you paid for it:

There will always - ALWAYS - be a market for "old stuff". Whether it's sports cards, advertising art, old tools, coins, stamps, furniture, clothing, whatever. People pine for the "good old days", and always will. People collect antiques, old toys, all sorts of stuff.

There's a place in northern NJ called Archie's Resale Shop. Essentially it's a collection of a bunch of sheds, filled to the brim with ancient stuff that you can root through and buy. There's one shed filled with old sleds. Another filled with old dolls. Another filled with sports equipment.

There's one that's piled high with old magazines of every conceivable era, every conceivable topic.

And people come in and out of that place all summer long, buying everything under the sun.

Ever have a garage sale? I have. People show up at your house at 7AM, hoping to be the first one to find whatever treasure you're dumb enough to put a fifty-cent tag on. They buy it, bring it home, put it on Ebay and turn a thousand-percent profit in a few days.

As long as this country has people, and as long as this country has sports, people will buy vintage sports items.

-Al
  • Options
    Hi Al
    Can't argue with that - the Cave-man probably collected and traded dinosaur teeth!

But here's the other issue - value - the boomers have really up'ed the ante on quality vintage - can there be a major "correction" in 40 years or less? There was a major correction in later 70's early 80's stuff.
    What do ya think? I for sure don't know?

your friend
    MIke
    Mike
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    IMO, there will be some downward adjustment on commons. There will be an offsetting increase on stars. Ever baby boomer has kids that the heritage/interest on key players will be passed on to. I'm not Al, but my opinion..
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    I'll agree with that. I think the increase in interest in commons has been a result of the set registry - people will spend big bucks on a Tex Clevenger if they need him for their registry set. Thirty years from now, I'm not sure that will be the case anymore. But people will ALWAYS want Mickey Mantle.

I don't know about modern cards, frankly. If it wasn't for my collecting focus (complete sets from every year the Yankees won the World Series), I wouldn't collect anything manufactured after 1960. But plenty of others jump all over shiny modern cards, so what do I know?

-Al
  • Options

<< <i>IMO, there will be some downward adjustment on commons. There will be an offsetting increase on stars. Ever baby boomer has kids that the heritage/interest on key players will be passed on to. I'm not Al, but my opinion.. >>

Harry
    You're Ok in my book! And Al's gone...I was also referring to a lot of the high priced autos and other memorabilia that the rich boomers have spent way too much - just not sure what it will be when my son's children come up to bat. (get it?LOL)

I agree across the board - there will always be collectors and with money - but: "what will be the perceived value?" Will they bite off on these prices? Just not sure? I could see a correction in some markets in the future?

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Me still thinks that some day when today's children of Baby Boomers who are huge Yankee and Jeter fans will crave a 2000 Upper Deck Yankee Master Collection. Just think about it, if their parents could not afford it when they were a child but they grow up and become CEO's of the next Google and have the moolah, they will want the set but there will be less sets because many collectors broke them up and sold them off in piece meal. Today's youngsters will crave LIMITED modern stuff in years to come.