Home Sports Talk
Options

Who Is (Was) The Best Athelete On These Boards?

frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
Unless you actually know someone, I guess you have to do some bragging about yourself if you want to participate. I just don't want to be first. I'll jump in later. Did anybody play sports in high school or college? What did you play? What were your stats? When did you play?

Let the bragging begin! Remember though, "It ain't bragging if it's fact."

Shane

Comments

• Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    My 100 free time as a Fourteen year old would've won the 1912 olympics! image

I think they swam with robes on back then.
    Wondo

• Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    First game of the baseball season my sophomore year of high school I forgot my contacts.... I'm pretty sure I set the JV record for errors in a game by a second baseman that day. I never recovered mentally from that day and my baseball career went down hill. Although it did allow me to become the best score keeper in the conference.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I lasted until close to the end in a fifth grade, gym class dodgeball game. Also hit a home run one time in a whiffle ball game.
  • Options
    I dominated in kickball. My agent sucked though, never got the big contract I deserved...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options

<< <i>I dominated in kickball. My agent sucked though, never got the big contract I deserved... >>

Wondo

• Options
    If this counts, and if anybody remembers the thing, I won the "Ford" Pass, Kick and Punt contest in NY when I was in 6th grade. That was in 1966. I recall that my "kick" (placekick) stunk - I sideswiped it and it went about 5 yards. My punt was OK - about 30 yards. The reason I won is because I threw the ball about 60 yards. Still have the photo. I won an official NFL football.

Outside of that, I played college Basketball for Iona (who?). Claims to fame for Iona were Richie Gehrin (Knicks) and Jeff Ruland (Bullets). My high game was 10 points against NYU in 1974. I was a sub, and the last walk-on (no scholarship) for Iona....the Valvano days followed as I graduated.

Yeah, this stinks, but something. Regards.

"A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options

<< <i>If this counts, and if anybody remembers the thing, I won the "Ford" Pass, Kick and Punt contest in NY when I was in 6th grade. That was in 1966. I recall that my "kick" (placekick) stunk - I sideswiped it and it went about 5 yards. My punt was OK - about 30 yards. The reason I won is because I threw the ball about 60 yards. Still have the photo. I won an official NFL football.

Outside of that, I played college Basketball for Iona (who?). Claims to fame for Iona were Richie Gehrin (Knicks) and Jeff Ruland (Bullets). My high game was 10 points against NYU in 1974. I was a sub, and the last walk-on (no scholarship) for Iona....the Valvano days followed as I graduated.

Yeah, this stinks, but something. Regards. >>

Better than anything I got. image
    Wondo

• Options
    I played division I baseball, and in some highly competitive semi-pro leagues. Best athletic achievement in baseball was pitching a complete game in a double elimination tournament on a Thursday night, and then coming back on Saturday morning and pitching another complete game in game one of the title game. We won the second game for the championship, and I was seven for seven in the two championship games with a BB and a HBP. Easily garnered MVP honors.

But, my claim to fame is to be without question the BEST RBI baseball player on Ninentendo that the world has seen. Against VERY stiff competition I am the proud owner of SEVEN perfect games, and about fifteen no-hitters. I myself have never been no hit. In college, a few of the guys asked if I wanted to play against them, and I played soft the first game to let them win. Then we started betting some cash, and I won the next fifteen games in a row. That was sweet. I'm humming the backgroudn music in my head as I type, and I am calling on Rupert Jones to deliver a key pinch hit to propel California to another victory. AAAHHHH, that was fun!
  • Options
    I won the Texas Hold 'Em Games I played in last Friday and Saturday, so I would have to vote for me as being the best athlete on these boards. imageimageimageimage
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • Options
    I came in 2nd in my Fantasy Baseball League last year and won some money. LOL
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    51 HR's in my softball league last year (37 games), Double walled bats were allowed, fences were only about 280, but I led the league. No steroids. We lost the championship but won it the two previous years.

• Options
    I've been pretty lucky in several sports.

I used to play tennis against players three and four years older than me when I was REAL young and did very well. Even in college I had a serve which was never returned (granted I didn't play against anyone really good), I am guessing my serve was at least 100 mph conservatively.

In high school I used to score five or six goals a day in PE floor hockey.

In college I could consistently make 92 free throws out of a hundred.

In horse racing I made a $2 bet on a 100-1 shot and won $212....dumbest bet I ever made....I should have bet $10 or $20 on the horse! A $10,000 claimer from Hot Springs running in a $3000 claiming race against dogs in Collinsville, IL...

I also played against a national champion in badminton in college. I can't remember the outcomes but I know our games were close. He was a champion from somewhere near Indonesia or somewhere like that.

In pool I've won the top shooter award twice in our area. Depending on how much I get to practice I can run eight or nine ball tables fairly consistently.

In bowling a perfect game is throwing 12 balls for strikes...I had a game where I only threw 11 balls in a game. Nine strikes in a row, left a ten pin and missed! 278 high game.

In golf I've been fortunate to hole out three tee shots from 186, 184 and 168 yards...all good shots. Won the Missouri state amateur four ball championship (net division) last summer. Can't wait for my fourth
    hole-in-one.
    Holes-in-One
    1. 7-17-81 Warrenton GC Driver 310 yards 7th Hole (Par 4)
    2. 5-22-99 Warrenton GC 6 iron 189 yards 10th Hole
    3. 7-23-99 Oak Meadow CC 5 iron 180 yards 17th Hole
    4. 9-19-99 Country Lake GC 6 iron 164 yards 15th Hole
    5. 8-30-09 Country Lake GC Driver 258 yards 17th Hole (Par 4)

Collector of Barber Halves, Commems, MS64FBL Frankies, Full Step Jeffersons & Mint state Washington Quarters
  • Options
    xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭
    I was scouted my the Medicine Hat Tiger Cats (WHL Hockey) back when I was 16. I had a tryout but didn't make the last cut.

Ryan