Home Sports Talk
Options

Who Is The Best Ever - Basketball

frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
Did anybody catch what Allen Iverson said after he won the All Star Game MVP? He said that "Shaq is the greatest basketball player ever."

Don't get me wrong, Shaq is dominating, without a doubt. But all the guy does is dunk.

If you could grap a player from any era to start your all time team, who would it be.

I would have to go with Michael Jordan - NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

Shane

Comments

• Options
    Bill Russell would be my choice......then I'd add Oscar Robertson and Julius Erving.
  • Options
    Bill Russell couldn't score and had a great team around him, and was only 6' 9". Oscar Robertson couldn't dribble left handed. He went to his right every time. The great Doctor had some great skills, but only had one one championship.

There, how did I do? image

Shane

• Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    I thought that Chamberlain guy was pretty good. image
    Wondo

• Options

1) Michael Jordan
    2) Kareem Abdul Jabbar
    3) Wilt Chamberlain
    4) Shaq
    5) Bill Russell
    6) Julius Erving
    7) Larry Bird
    8) Magic Johnson
  • Options
    Lew Alcindor image
    Wondo

• Options

<< <i>If you could grap a player from any era to start your all time team, who would it be.

I would have to go with Michael Jordan - NO QUESTIONS ASKED. >>

Michael Jordan isn't even the best point guard I've ever seen........that honor would have to go to Kim Mulkey, point guard for the Lady Techsters of Louisiana Tech from 1980-1984!
  • Options
    Lew Alcinder. Geez, how could I forget....senility. LOL
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    I think I may have to go with Shaq - Jordan a close second. Shaq is a physical monster and even though he may not have the traditional basketball skills his size and footwork make up for it.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Jordan, hands down.

He makes everyone around him better...look at his teams that won championships...no true center.

And is there anyone else in the league EVER you'd want taking the last shot of the game?

The phenomenal scoring, tenacious defense, and ability to make his teammates' abilities scale up with his, easily he's the best ever.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I am not really a fan of his, but how anyone cannot say Jordan is beyond me.

The other players all have a legit shot at "second best all time player"

collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    It all depends on the criteria you use. Jordan can easily be selected, and I would agree with Axtell's comments except for making his teammates that much better. Winning a championship without a center and the one year beating teams with Mourning, Ewing, etc is remarkable but a tribute to the defense and skills of both Jordan AND Pippen.

If you are looking for the Most Valuable Player to his team and the player that makes those around him better that answer is Bill Russell.
    Russell played 13 seasons and won 11 championships. The two years the C's did not win the title was when Russell was hurt in the final - and his first year as player/coach. Before he arrived the Celtics never won a title and the year after he retired the Celtics did not even make the play-offs.

Michael Jordan - he left for a year in his prime to play Baseball. In 1992-93 Jordan and the Bulls won 57 games. In 1993-94 when Jordan missed the entire season to play baseball the Bulls won 55 games. A two game difference - granted they did not win the Championship without him, but a difference of 2 games. When Larry Bird was injured and missed an entire season the Celtics won 41 games. The year before with Bird they won 57 games and the year after he returned they won 52 games. A 16 game difference and an 11 game difference is what you should see if you are talking about somebody making their teammates better.
  • Options
    DirtyDog48,

Jordan was not a point guard. He was a shooting guard.

Shane

• Options
    Jordan by far. He could do it all. Sure Shaq scores a ton of points, but he stands under the basket and just dunks the dang ball for an easy 2 points when he gets the ball, which by the way is easy for his teammates to get the ball to him because he;s 7ft. tall and not many people are gonna jump higher than him. How many 3's has Shaq hit in his career? Not many I'm sure. And who the heck is Kim Mulkey, in order to be the best ever I'm sure someone would have to know who they are first.image
    Culpepper to ?, only God knows at this point!
  • Options

<< <i>DirtyDog48,

Jordan was not a point guard. He was a shooting guard. >>

Thanks for that clarification....Kim was still better!.......in fact, Dawn Staley was/is better too!
  • Options
    I forgot all about Dawn Staley. At least Jordan is the best male basketball player ever. Leave the women out of it. We have to be fair about this.

Shane

• Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sure Shaq scores a ton of points, but he stands under the basket and just dunks the dang ball for an easy 2 points when he gets the ball, which by the way is easy for his teammates to get the ball to him because he;s 7ft. tall and not many people are gonna jump higher than him. >>

Your basically saying Shaq's unstoppable. Doesn't that show his greatness? His game is not as fun to watch as Jordan's was but I feel it is just as, if not more effective. Shaq's only real problem is his inability on free throw line - that definitely hurts his cause for the best ever.
  • Options
    I have to agree with Jordan.
    BUT Bird and Magic were great players AND made
    every team mate much better. That is a mark of greatness.
    give me liberty or give me death
    my hotelsimage
  • Options
    Jordan was predominantly a shooting guard with the Bulls but there were stretches when he ran the point. There was one 15 or 20 game stretch under Doug Collins where he was the point guard and almost averaged a triple double.
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    Bird
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Larry Bird is my personal choice, but it's tough to argue against MJ.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    I think Larry Bird, and same if you were to ask teammates. Jordan is a close second driving a team to success. If you asked Jordan, he would say Bird. I think if you asked Bird, he would say Johnson. It's not all about individual skills. It's about the greatest player who can lead a good team to the championship.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chamberlain - This isn't even debatable - Anyone who understands basketball history knows this. When does baseball season start for goodness sakes? The time between football season ending and baseball season beginning is unbearable.
  • Options
    Wilt Chamberlain's stat's are very bloated. He was twice as big as anybody in the league. If you put some of today's big guys like Kevin Garnett, Shaquille, or even Yao Ming, I personally believe that they would dominate Chamberlain. Just look at some of the old footage. Today's guys have so many moves and are so quick.

If you put Shaq playing in that era, he would average 40 to 50 points and 20 rebounds, not just one year, but EVERY YEAR. That's not to mention what Jordan would do. They would all stand around in awe and watch him.

Shane

• Options
    <<< He was twice as big as anybody in the league. >>>

Hmmm - Chamberlain was 7' 1" tall - so you're saying that Bill Russell and everybody else was only 3' 6 1/2" tall - no wonder Chamberlain dominated with a height advantage like that.

Look - you know I'm kidding about that, but I'm not kidding when saying that Chamberlain was not only the greatest ever in basketball, but the greatest ever to dominate an organized team sport. There were RULE CHANGES made because of Chamberlain. Chamberlain has so many unbreakable records. Everybody knows about the 100 point game, etc., but I think the most unbelievable stat is a little known fact that he never fouled out in a game - just incredible. Chamberlain was the best ever and nobody else is even close.
  • Options

<< <i><<< He was twice as big as anybody in the league. >>>

Hmmm - Chamberlain was 7' 1" tall - so you're saying that Bill Russell and everybody else was only 3' 6 1/2" tall - no wonder Chamberlain dominated with a height advantage like that.

Look - you know I'm kidding about that, but I'm not kidding when saying that Chamberlain was not only the greatest ever in basketball, but the greatest ever to dominate an organized team sport. There were RULE CHANGES made because of Chamberlain. Chamberlain has so many unbreakable records. Everybody knows about the 100 point game, etc., but I think the most unbelievable stat is a little known fact that he never fouled out in a game - just incredible. Chamberlain was the best ever and nobody else is even close. >>

I always look upon debates on the greatest as defined by "who dominated the most in his/her time". Genetics, training, diet, sport evolution will keep producing better and better athletes and performances.
    Wondo

• Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Wilt, THE MOST DOMINANT ever !!!

A pro game is 48 minutes. Wilt had seasons averaging OVER 48 minutes per game !!! Will anyone ever come close to this ??? As a rookie he set the ALL-TIME single season scoring average. He later broke it and of course, he STILL holds the record... OVER 50 points per game AVERAGE for an entire season !!!

Jordan, Bird, Magic, and Jerry West perhaps, would complete my all-time five player team.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    Bird fans don't kid yourself. He was great and my favorite player but he wasn't the best.

Michael Jordan. Nobody could do the things he could do on a Basketball court.

Nobody accomplished more with less help from his team mates (Pippen was heartless and over rated, he rode Jordans coat tails like everybody else.)

Nobody else could put his team on his shoulders and carry them to Championship after Championship.

Great defense overshadowed by jaw dropping offense. The most complete player to ever lace up sneakers.

Ice water in his veins. He not only would stick the knife in but twist it so the wound wouldn't close.
    Collecting PSA and BGS 500 HR & 3000 Hit Club Baseball
    HOF Quarterbacks Football
  • Options

<< <i>1) Michael Jordan
    2) Kareem Abdul Jabbar
    3) Wilt Chamberlain
    4) Shaq
    5) Bill Russell
    6) Julius Erving
    7) Larry Bird
    8) Magic Johnson >>

I'd move Shaq and Bill Russel to 8 and 9. I'd insert The Big O in at 7.
  • Options
    ~"Nobody accomplished more with less help from his team mates (Pippen was heartless and over rated, he rode Jordans coat tails like everybody else.)"~

Those same heartless and over rated teammates won 55 games without him. I doubt there is any other top 10 player in NBA history that you could remove from their team in their prime and their team would still win 55 games.
  • Options
    aro13,

I beg to differ. You remove Bill Russell, and the Celtics still win championships. You remove Larry Bird, and the Celtics are still a major contender. You remove Magic Johnson, and the Lakers are still contending in the West.

That year, the Bulls had Scottie Pippen in his prime, Phil Jackson as the coach, and a decent player named Toni Kukoc. But most important, they had great chemistry that year.

Just ask every one of these guys, "Who is the greatest player you have ever seen?" I'd bet that every one of them would say, "Michael Jordan."

Larry Bird called him , "God, disguised as Michael Jordan", which is taking it just a bit far, though. All of those guys were great in their time, but Michael Jordan was so far ahead of his time that nobody knew what to do with him.

Shane

• Options
    frankhardy - Under most criteria Jordan is the greatest player ever. But not by making his teammates better, or being the one player in history who a team could least afford to lose.

The 1950-1960 Celtics without Bill Russell did not win championships. Before he arrived they never won a title. The year after he left they did not even make the play-offs. When he was injured in the finals they lost to St. Louis. He made everybody around him significantly better.

Larry Bird was removed from the Celtics for one season. The year before with Bird the C's won 57 games and went to the Eastern Conference finals. The next season Bird was injured and missed all but six games. The Celtics won 41 games, qualified as the 8th seed, and were quickly dispatched in the first round. Bird also proved in college how good he was at making everybody around him that much better. He took a team at Indiana State with 4 role players to the National Championship. Certainly if you polled 100 basketball players or fans - all 100 would probably take Jordan over Bird but if you were giving them each 4 role players Bird's team would probably have a much better season.
    The Lakers were a contender without Magic but not for a title like the Bulls were without Michael.
  • Options
    Here we go with championships again. Since some people use the the wrong criteria for measuring individual players in team sports (that is measuring TEAM championships as per how good an individual is), I'm not even going to bother with them, as they cannot see the forest from the trees.

I'm going to say Kurt Rambis, B.J. Armstrong, Will Perdue, John Paxson, and Michael Cooper as the best ever. How many rings between them? They must have been doing something right to win all those titles, and they must have made the players around them better. I guess that team beats a team of Karl Malone, John Stockton, Patrick Ewing, Iverson, and Barkley. None of those players knew how to win, or make the players around them better. Great argument.

The funny thing about it is that Michael Jordan was in that category of Barkley etc... for a good many years, that is a guy who can't win a title. Thats all I heard, he can't win this he can't win that. The funny thing is that Jordan was a better player before he won any titles. He was far superior defensively, and unstoppable offensively. He passed just as much pre title years as during the post title years. The only difference was that the guys he had on his team in the title years actually did stuff that wins basketball games. Now all of a sudden Jordan is a winner, all because he got better teammates.

So, to all those 'title' guys you get Kurt Rambis, and the others, and I'll take the mailman and others, because hey, those other guys know how to win.

MJ is the real answer, followed by Bird, Jabbar, Magic, then you guys can argue and fill in the rest. Shaq needs to be able to hit some free throws to avoid being a liability and non factor in the last minute of the game to even be considered the best. Any good opposing coach easily takes away Shaq's team's best asset in the final minute(Shaq himself), because he can't hit throws consistently enough.
  • Options
    My dad also attended Overbrook High School in Philly where Chamberlain graduated. My dad was a basketball fan, still is, and saw Chamberlain play numerous times in High School, as a Sixer, etc. He always said that Chamberlain was lightening fast around the boards - basically as fast as he had to be. Back in the late 60s early 70's, it was rumoured that he was gonna fight Mohammed Ali for the Heavyweight Boxing Championship. Now I think Ali would have probably killed him, but this was being taken seriously - just shows how great an athlete he was just to be considered for this. There is no doubt that Chamberlain would still have dominated even in today's game. Would he have been as dominant? - of course not - today's players have gotten better. But none of them today or anyone in the past was close to Chamberlain. It's not like Chamberlain played in the 1940s - he played up until the early 1970s and those players were damn good.
  • Options
    MICHAEL JORDAN

there is no debating this.....
  • Options
    Jerry West
    aknow

Looking for uncirculated Indian Heads and PRS electric guitars
  • Options
    This isn't even close - Jabbar/Alcindor was by far the best basketball player ever!

This guy won in High School, at UCLA, in the NBA in Milwakee and LA - and scored more points than anyone else
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    11 championships > 6 championships

Russell
  • Options
    The most complete, most dominant, hardest working player to ever lace them up was Michael Jordan.

The guy was a mere 6 foot 6, weighing 205, could take the ball from you like he thought it belonged to him, could make a defender break his ankle and misplace his jock with his crossover, could shoot his undefendable fadeaway from 20+, could dunk from anywhere in the lane, and could find the open man when the situation warranted it... only thing is, he'd do ALL of these most incredible things to behold at least once a quarter for the better part of his career. Opponents DID end up just standing around watching in awe much of the time, not because he was too large or tall to defend, not because he played on the best team, but because he knew he was the best and worked very hard to stay the best.

How anyone can choose someone other than MJ is beyond me... basketball hasn't been the same without him imo.
  • Options
    One of the most overlooked things about Jordan is this. When he dunked on someone, or drove the lane and did one of those special moves, his reaction was always like, "Just business as usual." He hardly ever did anything thing like the chest pounding, or the yelling and screaming, like the young punks do today. Today, some of these young guys just do a regular dunk, and they act like noboday has ever seen it before and it's the first time they have ever done it. When Jordan dunked over three big men, he just turned and walked done the floor like it was no big deal. Give me that anyday!

Shane

• Options
    Koby "11 championships > 6" only makes a difference if you were debating the merits of Martina Navritilova and Billy Jean King. There are other variables that decide a championship, far more than just using it to measure a single player. Way too many to list now, as that should be elementary knowledge.

If you are debating that because Bill Russell played on a fine oiled machine with many good players around him, and that because of that he didn't put up the numbers that he may have if he was the focal point of a lesser team, then you have something. But, just to say he has more championships, therefore he is better, is not enough otherwise Kurt Rambis is better than Karl Malone.

Basketball and Football aren't like baseball. You can use the stats in baseball and get an accurate analysis, because of the nature of the game. In basketball guys can accumulate points at the expense of a team, so the stats in basketball aren't as definitive. Its not like in baseball where a guy can say, well I think I'm going to be selfish and hit myself 70 homers and pound out 270 hits, because baseball is a selfish game, and that type of output would be incredible for a team.

Compare to a basketball player saying, I think I'm going to go out and score 50 points a game. Well, that doesn't necessarily mean good results for the team, as most likely, the other players are getting frozen out of the game, and you are passing up good percentage scoring opportunites from them, just so you can attempt lots of low scoring percentage opportunites for yourself.

Bill Russell could have easily scored more points if he took more shots, who wouldn't if they took more shots? But he allowed higher percentage shots for other players while he played stelllar defense, grabbed rebounds, and shot in opportune times. Use that as an argument against Chamberlain, NOT the generic he won 11 championsships, because those championships don't come without the help of some of Hall of Fame teammates, and having the ball bounce your way and catching the breaks in the playoffs(the good fortune/randomnness factor).
  • Options
    Wilt or Kareem. Nobody dominated like Wilt. When he got his 55 rebounds in one game, it was against Russell and the hallowed Celts. There were other Hall of Fame centers he played against that couldnt touch him. Kareem is an extremely close second.
  • Options
    There is a reason why players like Karl Malone and Gary Payton would take enormous paycuts to sign with the Lakers last season. Neither wanted to go down in history as players who have great numbers but have never won the big one. History defines players by the number of champiomships they win as much if not more so than individual accomplishment . (yes, this applies to team sports too.) Maravich, Payton, Malone, Barkley, Ewing.....the list goes on and on. These men could not accomplish the ultimate in sports and that is win a championship.

In football, Dan Marino has much greater numbers than John Elway and for the longest time, he was far more popular than Elway. However, as soon, as Elway won two Super Bowls, their popularity became more comparable. Sure, Elway relied on a strong running back and he had nothing to do with how the defense played. Nonetheless, why winning two Super Bowls, he put himself arguably at a higher plane than Marino.

I think your comparison of Karl Malone and Kurt Rambis is faulty. Rambis was a part of several championship teams, but on any team, there are one or two players that the team rely on. On Rambis' Laker teams, they relied on Magic and Kareem and to a certain extent Worthy. On the Auerbach Celtic teams, the go to guys were Russell and Cousy and later Havilcek. In team sports, the go to guy is the one that defines the team. Russell stood out even anomg Hall of Famers as the cog in the wheel that enabled the team to win the champioships. Just as you don't think Bill Cartright or Scottie Pippen when you think Bulls, most fans do not automatically think Cousy or Havilcek when they think Celtics.

Hence 11 championships > 6 championships

Russell

IMO

• Options
    Koby, there is a difference between a player wanting to win a championship, and saying so and so is better BECAUSE he has a championship. History does remember the championships, and that is as faulty as an analysis as you can get, and that is my point.

You brought up John Elway, and he is the poster boy for what I am talking about. Dan Marino was the superior qb, and he always was, and always will be. John Elway was known as a choker, and couldn't win the big one all his career until he fell into two Super Bowls. Elway didn't all of a sudden get better and that is why they won the super bowl. His skills stayed the same, and his teammates got better. SO WHY THE HECK SHOULD HE ALL OF A SUDDEN BE EXHAULTED HIGHER THAN MARINO BECAUSE HE WAS IN THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME?

Don't mistake players wanting to be involved in the fun and excitement of being on a championship team, and using that to say player x is better than player y simply because he was in the right situation. They are forced to do that because of the faulty analysis people like you throw out there.

This stuff is soo elementary it is ridiculous. I will give you the same assignment I gave other people. FIND OUT HOW MANY NFL TEAMS WON THE SUPER BOWL WITH A BELOW AVERAGE DEFENSE. THEN FIND OUT HOW MANY WON WITH A TOP TEN DEFENSE. Before you continue to post on your ridiculous notion, do that research and see what conclusions you draw.

Then figure out why Brett Favre, who won a super bowl, but cannot do crap in the playoffs in the last five seasons and not even win home games when they were unbeatable at home. Did he forget how to win championships?????? I will give you a hint, it is because he doesn't have the best defense in the NFL behind Reggie White anymore. If Favre had never had a good defense he WOULD NEVER HAVE A SUPER BOWL EITHER!!! And he wouldn't have any bearing on how good he was, but what circumstance he was in. He never would have been known as a great 'clutch' performer and all the garbage Hollywood accolades announcers use to inspire the same posters I am having to try and unbrainwash.

IF Terry Bradshaw never had the Steeler curtain he would never have a super bowl either!

If Bill Russell's teammates were Dicky Simpkins, Ron Harper, Mark Bryant, Brent Barry , he wouldn't have a championship either, but it wouldn't make him any better or worse of a player. But it would make his teams worse, as opposed to having Bill Sharman, Heinsohn, Cousy, later Havlicek. He may have scored more points, but he would not have been a league leader because he wasn't a special offensive player. He may have just been Dennis Rodman.

There are soo many variables of what goes into a championship, and 80% of them are out of an individual players control, so how on earth do you make valid comparisons among players where they don't even control 80% of what is going on. To see if I am talking with a knowledgeable person, I will let you begin to list all the variables, then I will add the key ones that I know will be bypassed, as they usuallly are.

God, it is soo evident how people need to believe in heros and rising to the occasion, and it is soo evident how announcers and writers propogate these things, and soo many people just fall right in line and can't see it.
  • Options
    Has anyone else besides Jordan ever put up 50+ in an championship game while suffering from the flu ?

Doesn't anyone remember how Jordan would just take over the game and the rock in the 4th quarter? There was absolutely nothing that any of the opposing players could do about it... he had a decent support crew in the other four on the floor (Bill Cartwright was Bulls' "big man"???lol), but he was the only guy since besides the aforementioned big men that could just dominate you night in, night out when it mattered most.. the more important the game, the better Jordan seemed to play... I think we all miss Jordan so much that none of us wanna even bother replaying in our minds some of the feats he pulled off in his prime...we all just got kinda used to it... the NBA will never be the same imo, but this Lebron kid is the closest thing to Jordan since Jordan.

Jordan 7 days a week and twice on sunday for me...
  • Options
    Just hard to believe some of the opinions in this thread. All the other players mentioned were great players of course, but they were not Wilt Chamberlain. Just look at the record books - it's all there.

Also - Bill Russell has stated many times that Chamberlain was better than himself.
  • Options
    Russell was being modest

11 championships > 2 championships

• Options

<< <i>

This stuff is soo elementary it is ridiculous. >>

I thought you knew what you were talking about until I read this:

<< <i>"11 championships > 6" only makes a difference if you were debating the merits of Martina Navritilova and Billy Jean King. >>

You might not think so, but winning championships matter to the players and fans of pro team sports too.

• Options
    <<< Russell was being modest >>>

Bill Russell didn't brag but he wasn't modest either. He told it like it is. He said Chamberlain was better than himself because it was true. Hey - the championship thing can't be argued but the thread says "Who is the best ever - Basketball" and the answer is Wilt Chamberlain.
  • Options
    Wow, what a tough question. There are definitely four that must be considered and the debate could last for years.

Bill Russell, Lew Alcindor/Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Wilt Chamberlain, Michael Jordan....

They all won NCAA championships except for Wilt's loss in three OTs in the championship game. The Bill Russell led San Francisco Dons won 56 straight games and Lew Alcindor's UCLA won three straight NCAA championships.

I hate leaving Larry Bird out and I don't think Jordan belongs with the other three...tough, tough question.
    Holes-in-One
    1. 7-17-81 Warrenton GC Driver 310 yards 7th Hole (Par 4)
    2. 5-22-99 Warrenton GC 6 iron 189 yards 10th Hole
    3. 7-23-99 Oak Meadow CC 5 iron 180 yards 17th Hole
    4. 9-19-99 Country Lake GC 6 iron 164 yards 15th Hole
    5. 8-30-09 Country Lake GC Driver 258 yards 17th Hole (Par 4)

Collector of Barber Halves, Commems, MS64FBL Frankies, Full Step Jeffersons & Mint state Washington Quarters
  • Options
    Koby, you are totally missing the boat. Can you read? Whenver people's criteria for evaluating players is based on championships, it tells me one thing....they are ignorant to what is really at work. When somebody is ignorant on a topic and believes in myths, I know nothing in the world can enlighten them. I've always said sports fans are akin to religous zealots, no matter the evidence, they will still go on believing in the stuff that makes them feel comfortable or have worth.