Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

OK Darksiders, this will truly break your hearts!! UPDATE!!!

I have always wanted a proof 1877 Dominican Republic Essai 1 Centavo proof. I was chasing one on E-Bay until it went way out of my price range. So yesterday I'm at this little coin shop (they are a darkside coin shop) and I'm going through the boxes and what do I see! Yes, the proof. It goes into the we'll talk about price pile. You see prices marked on the 2X2s don't mean squat! After you get your pile, then we discuss price. The holder is marked $175 (not a bad price), so we get it down to $125. Done Deal!! I get it home, look closely and find (eerie organ music inserted here), PVC!!! Eeeeewwww, green crap on my proof. I call the dealer (who stands behind his coins), and he says whatever I want to do, I can return it, try to remove it, or whatever he will make it right. Take a look at the picture and what do you think I should do???

Well it went through NCS and NGC and is coming back...
001 5071871001 1877E ESSAI DOMINICAN KM-E2 1C PF 64 RD

I'll post pictures when it returns...

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

Comments

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Acetone first to clean off the PVC. Then assess the damage and if there's pitting, I'd recommend trying to get your money back. Or don't mess with it at all and try to get your money back. Good luck!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    That sucks Marty. I am not sure what to do about the PVC. Is the coin for you or resale? If it was silver I'd dip it to try and remove the PVC but being copper I think you're stuck. Either way can you live with the PVC?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Acetone first to clean off the PVC. >>

It is soaking in a jar or acetone right now. Figured I would give it a couple days.

• Options
    Did you miss the PVC in the heat of the moment? See what the acetone does - you can always return it if you're not happy.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty piece, despite the blip.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Nice coin, but how did you miss that PVC at the shop?
    Wanted: High grade Irish (Republic of Ireland, not Northern Ireland or British) coins, slabbed and unslabbed. Also looking for Proof and Uncirculated Sets
    PM with info.

Auction Sniper For all your sniping needs. Tell them I sent you and I'll get three free snipes!

e-bay ID= 29john29
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382

<< <i>Acetone first to clean off the PVC. Then assess the damage and if there's pitting, I'd recommend trying to get your money back. Or don't mess with it at all and try to get your money back. Good luck!

imageimageimage >>

I agree with 1jester and as far as missing the green sh-te it happens to the best of us. For me it was a high end PL morgan dollar. In my excitiment I thought I had really looked it over but not as well as I should have. When I got it home I found that it had these nice hairlines from a cleaning. They could be seen with the naked eye but I missed them. See what the acetone does for it or just return it for your money backimage
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    If the acetone doesn't do it, try xylene. I've found that xylene works
    much better on copper than acetone. Just don't inhale too much.

"Work" the green stuff off with a VERY soft, very small camel hair
    artist's brush using tiny circular motions. I haven't had that method
    leave any marks of any kind on the surfaces.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    Whatever happens now, since you have gone ahead and are using Acetone on the coin--it is my opinion that you should not return it to the dealer no matter what the outcome.

I think you either had the opportunity to return it to the dealer untouched, having discovered the PVC, or to keep it and try to "help" the coin. If it were me, and I had done the latter, I would consider the coin mine.

I do wish you good luck with it.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    What Auldfarrte said.....

....the xylene is much more "aggressive" at removing organics than acetone. Use the search function to look up info on Rod Burress to find those brushes, although the camel hair artist brush will also work without hairlining the surfaces. One other thing, be very careful if using a q-tip for spot application. They're usually OK on mint state stuff, but "no-no" on proofs unless you are VERY CAREFUL.

Also, a good reason to use these brushes after a solvent is to uniformly "wipe" the surfaces, otherwise, air drying can sometimes leave a streaky film.....at least in my limited experience with solvents.

Oh yeah, use the leftover acetone to extinguish your cigarettes........image Hey, I'm kidding. image NO FLAMES - PLENTY OF VENTILATION PLEASE.....YOUR LIVER WILL THANK YOU.
  • Options
    I'm with clankeye on this one.

"One you dip, you must commit."

It is your coin now.
    Wanted: High grade Irish (Republic of Ireland, not Northern Ireland or British) coins, slabbed and unslabbed. Also looking for Proof and Uncirculated Sets
    PM with info.

Auction Sniper For all your sniping needs. Tell them I sent you and I'll get three free snipes!

e-bay ID= 29john29
  • Options
    As for the coin, I talked to the dealer at the show today. We both missed the PVC and he is fine with a acetone bath for the coin.

• Options
    Truly a shame about the damn greenies. A realy nice coin otherwise. Good luck trying to clean it up.

Mark
  • Options
    It is heading out to NCS tomorrow...

• Options
    Hope it cleans up, I have run into PVC poisoning before but I haven't had to bury anything yet.
    "Any fool can use Power, but it is our wits that make us men."

Collecting Penguins, Named Ship Coins and other assorted goodies

Looking for Circulated coins of Papua New Guinea

stores.ebay.com/Grumpy's-Cave
  • Options
    TTT!

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    image Nicely done, Marty !!! image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    LuvdawgsLuvdawgs Posts: 1,512
    Sounds great, Marty! image

• Options

Well, golly! The NCS-NGC system works! Golly!! (Congrats!)
    Life got you down? Listen to John Coltrane.