Home Sports Talk
Options

60 minutes

Anyone saw the Canseco interview?
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" - Apostle Paul - Philippians 1:21

Comments

• Options
    I don't buy anything Canseco is saying.. Think about it he claims he and Giambi gave each other injections before games.. When did Canseco get traded from Oakland to the Rangers, wasn't it before Giambi played for Oakland?
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

<< <i> When did Canseco get traded from Oakland to the Rangers, wasn't it before Giambi played for Oakland? >>

Canseco did a short second stint with Oakland in 97.
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    I forgot about that, but I think Mcgwire was gone by then... The way he says it they all were doing it at the same time.

What does Canseco have to gain by this.. A lot, having a chance at a best selling book is all he has left. He has no friends left in baseball, no chance of ever working in MLB again, no HOF chance. Why should he care..
  • Options

<< <i>but I think Mcgwire was gone by then... >>

Canseco played with

A's: 1985 - 1992 and again in 1997 (108 games)
    Rangers: 1992 - 1994

McGwire played with

A's: 1986 - 1997

Giambi played with

A's: 1995 - 2001

RIP Snow
  • Options
    Sorry but I totally believe him.Get a grip folks.Professional sports is full of cheats,thugs and dope smokers.
  • Options
    Was it just me, or did Canseco look very nervous and figity during the interview?

I agree, he's got nothing to lose by doing this. But on the other hand, steroid use in baseball is not unheard of. The book could be 50/50.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw the interview - and altho I think much of what he is saying is true, he was caught in some inconsistencies with regard to the "number" of times certain events took place and the "numbers" of people involved.
    I got the feeling that Conseco may be prone to exaggeration of the facts and circumstances.
    When the smoke clears on this, IMO, the only thing he will have left is his book.

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I do believe that many of the records are now tainted with steroid use, and the use of steroids is in the game. I feel that drug usage has always been in sports and until the player is caught red-handed then I don't think there is much that can be done. Giambi has been caught due to his admission, but Bonds has not. Our society has become a guilty until proven innocent society. I always thought it was suppoused to be the other way around.

As far as Canseco there is an easy way to tell when he is lying..........

His mouth is moving..
  • Options
    What does Canseco have to gain by this.. A lot, having a chance at a best selling book is all he has left. He has no friends left in baseball, no chance of ever working in MLB again, no HOF chance. Why should he care..

What does everyone calling BS on Canseco have to gain from this:

McGwire - the homerun record he set (broken since)
    LaRussa - The only World Seires he won was with Canseco (who admitted using steroids then) and McGwire
    Giambi - he's future
    The three rangers - their legacies.
    The coach of the A's during 1997 - his reputation
    and so on....

They all have lots to gain and lose from this story, so if you don't believe Canseco and take the word of all these other guys then what, only Canseco was using steroids? Also the fact that he came out and said he saw them use it and he says he has no first hand knowledge of Sosa and Bonds speaks volumes to his credibility! Everyone wants Bonds implicated and if Canseco would have said that he saw or spoke to Bonds about steroids everyone would have given Canseco instant credibility - right?

Does any one believe that McGwire and co. did not use the steroids? Or is the issue that Canseco said it? It get's back to the messenger and not the message.
  • Options
    do believe that many of the records are now tainted with steroid use, and the use of steroids is in the game. I feel that drug usage has always been in sports and until the player is caught red-handed then I don't think there is much that can be done. Giambi has been caught due to his admission, but Bonds has not. Our society has become a guilty until proven innocent society. I always thought it was suppoused to be the other way around.

As far as Canseco there is an easy way to tell when he is lying..........

His mouth is moving..

So it's OK for you to brand someone guilty until proven innocent but no one else?
  • Options
    I didn't think it would be worth my time to watch.
  • Options
    So it's OK for you to brand someone guilty until proven innocent but no one else?

Canseco is a proven criminal, therefore has no credibility IMHO.
  • Options
    At least we know Canseco - who are you?
  • Options
    I believe Canseco. He is a typical whistleblower who is now being painted as a complete liar with an axe to grind. He may have an axe to grind for being blackballed by the player's union...but there is some truth to his claims. He said in his book that he is willing to take a lie detector test right now if anyone wants him to. People who lie generally like to stay away from a lie detector test.

His own teammate in Oakland (Dave Stewart) says "Canseco was a lot of things, but he is no liar." So basically Stewart is backing up Canseco's story, or saying that among all of Canseco's many problems, he does tell the truth.

Now Mike & Mike in the morning has reported that they found an FBI Agent who said in an interview this week that he told MLB officials about the growing steroid problem among many players as far back as 1995, but MLB has denied they ever talked to this agent. MLB is saying that this FBI Agent is a liar!!!! Are you kidding me!! We could see the proof in front of us on TV every night in the ballgames. These guys grew into monsters. Everyone was swimming in the profits of the steroid superstars and now these same people want us to all believe that they never knew it was a problem. Give me a break. We are not this stupid.

So now we are to believe that Canseco is a liar, Bond's mistress is a liar, the BALCO people who reported Bonds are liars, Tim Montgomery the track star who named Bonds is a liar, the FBI Agent is a liar.....the list goes on. Remember when Ken Caminiti admitted he used steroids the year he won the MVP? Was he a liar?

At some point people have to wake up and see the pattern here.

I believe Jose Canseco...and all the rest of the people in the line that keeps growing that saw this stuff first hand and are now speaking up.

Atleast Canseco and Giambi were man enough to admit it and not deny it like all the other users.
  • Options
    I do not deny that steorids are being used in the game today, but drugs (including steroids)have always been involved in the game in one way or another.

Wait 4 or 5 years after these guys retire then you will know the truth. If these guys start dying suddenly you will know that there was something. One of the major side effects of steroid use is severe damage to your heart. One death will not mean much but a string of 3 or 4 of the guys mentioned dying suddenly of heart related problems will tell the tale.

We will never know the whole truth about this.
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He said in his book that he is willing to take a lie detector test right now if anyone wants him to. People who lie generally like to stay away from a lie detector test. >>

Just because he says he will do it doesn't necessarily mean he will. It's just like telling reporters that you can test for me steriods knowing that the players union won't allow you to do it. Canseco should just take the lie detector test in stead of claiming that he will, although he's so twitchy they probably won't be able to tell if he's passing or not.
  • Options
    Lie detectors are not accurate.. Why is it many courts will not allow their results to be used in trials? If you truly believe what you are saying is true, even if it is a lie you can pass a lie detector test.
  • Options
    They should get Canseco, Corey Feldman, Amber Frey and a few other publicity-seeking miscreants and put 'em all together on a new reality show.
  • Options
    I heard bits of the Jose Canseco interview on the radio Monday on a non-sports talk show. There are a couple of interesting takes on the situation that I hadn't thought of.

First off, Tommy Lasorda called in to voice his anger at Jose Canseco for breaking an unwritten rule of baseball that is to the effect of "What goes here, stays here." In other words, players are not to talk about what other players do behind the scenes. I'm sure that many other players, managers, and executives are also infuriated at what he said. I'm not saying this attitude is right or wrong, especially considering the nature of the issue, but you can bet that those current and past players will have a few choice words about Canseco. imageimage

Secondly, if these steroid allegations are false, one would think that Mark Mcgwire and the others named by Canseco on 60 Minutes would at least come forward and call him a liar by suggesting they got big by hitting the weight room and adjusting their diet. Or, perhaps hire a lawyer and take Canseco to court for his lies. If they don't come forward, I think it will convince even more people that the steroid allegations are true.

<< <i>They should get Canseco, Corey Feldman, Amber Frey and a few other publicity-seeking miscreants and put 'em all together on a new reality show. >>

I'm sure some Fox executives are working on this right now. How about a celebrity boxing match with Feldman vs Canseco? image
    Lurking proudly on internet forums since 2001
  • Options
    It's funny - Lasorda's reaction brings to mind the way MLB reacted to Jim Bouton's tell-all book "Ball Four" about a hundred years ago when all Bouton revealed were tales of all-night drinking and the occassional Baseball Annie......how tame that all seems by today's standards.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So now we are to believe that Canseco is a liar, Bond's mistress is a liar, the BALCO people who reported Bonds are liars, Tim Montgomery the track star who named Bonds is a liar, the FBI Agent is a liar.....the list goes on. Remember when Ken Caminiti admitted he used steroids the year he won the MVP? Was he a liar? >>

I believe them!

People who know this is true are now too busy to come on these boards to face the music. When
    the truth comes out they go run and hide and basically give the opinion that they are better than us.
    I won't name any names.... just initials...... B.K.A.H.image

aconte