Home U.S. Coin Forum

Bummed out, but not as much as the caught thief!! Update: Some of the stolen coins returned

Came home tonight and my house was broken into. Lost some eagles, proof sets, and mint rolls of nickels, shq's, and kennedy halves. But what really burns me up is I lost a ms-69 michigan and indiana quarter that I had out last night shooting pictures of. I also had the eagles listed at ebay and I had to pull the auctions.

The icing on the cake is I put a deposit on a giant safe last night, and made arrangements to pick it up next week. I know its only modern crap, but I love those shq's. I am going to have to delete them from my registry set and I busted my a$$ to purchase those. I gotta run, have to make a list of the missing stuff for the sheriff's dept. Thanks for letting me unload........imageimageimageimage

Comments

• CrackoutCrackout Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough luck - will homeowners insurance cover the loss?
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

I know it's a longshot, but I hope you get 'em back. image

A friend of mine had his collection stolen and fortunately he had some dumb thieves who tried to fence the coins at the very dealer who my friend had bought most of the coins from. He had a very recognizable collection. The dealer knew it was his straight off, and that he would not have sold it, so he made some pretence of going into his office to get a checkbook, called the cops, and the thieves were busted right there. All the coins were recovered except one low-grade token worth maybe five bucks, that my friend didn't miss much.

After you call the sheriff and make up your list, call every dealer in a 100-mile radius, see if they have an email address, and email the list to them.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • sorry to hear that image
  • Timely. Link.

But before you get that safe, think about the implications of this discussion. (" Here's the one flaw...The one thing that can bust even a 3 TON safe....two guys with a gun to your 8 yr. old daughter's head in the middle of the night saying "Open the DAMN safe or we kill you all".)
    Realtime National Debt Clock:

• Lord M

My plan is to call a bunch of shops in Sacramento on Monday. I'm uninsured, I rent. I owe child support and Ca would put a lein on my house which is why I don't own ( I am making payments to the state, its all back support from years ago, so I am not a deadbeat father). If anyone here sees the following for sale please contact me. In-p ms-69, pcgs # 71563840 and Mi-p ms-69, pcgs # 72914710. The rest I can live without.

I'm glad they caught the guys that robbed your freind. I know how he felt and it doesn't feel good.

• That sucks....I feel bad for you...doesn't mater what was taken....it's still wrong. What is a shq's...sorry don't get the abreviation????

• << <i>Timely. Link.

But before you get that safe, think about the implications of this discussion. (" Here's the one flaw...The one thing that can bust even a 3 TON safe....two guys with a gun to your 8 yr. old daughter's head in the middle of the night saying "Open the DAMN safe or we kill you all".) >>

I read this post, and it is why I was out last night buying a bigger and better 1. I don't have the answers for the gun scenario, but I figured that I should at least get out of the sentry I have been using for about 6 months. The funny thing here is that I left the damn thing open this morning. They only took some loose nickels in tubes, and a ms-64 frankie. The rest of the stuff was on shelves, or at my computer desk. I had my whole registry set in the safe, and some boxes of modern proof sets which I had sealed up in plastic.

• << <i>That sucks....I feel bad for you...doesn't mater what was taken....it's still wrong. What is a shq's...sorry don't get the abreviation???? >>

State hood quarters Hell I'm upset and not making any sense!!!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SHQ= Statehood quarter.

<< <i>I'm glad they caught the guys that robbed your freind. I know how he felt and it doesn't feel good. >>

I know how he felt, too (and how you feel). In the first antique mall I had my case in, a crooked employee lifted two gold coins outta my case. (A 1901 $10 Liberty, PCGS MS61- ex-ANACS MS63, and an ANACS MS60 PL 1873 gold dollar). The gold dollar was an incredible looking little coin, despite its low technical grade.

I know now who did it but can prove nothing. The guy who stole my coins was later fired from the antique mall. He was the shift manager when my coins were stolen (in other words, the guy who had the keys to my case). Because of this (and because he is the guy who called the cops, at my insistence), he got to be a fly on the wall for the whole discussion of my game plan- how I would call all the nearby dealers and so on. He must've sat on 'em a while before he fenced them, or taken them far enough away to where the heat wasn't as hot. Like you, I had the cert numbers and all. I mentioned that at the time (not knowing the thief was right there listening to me), so he almost certainly cracked the coins out.

I must've interrupted him in the act, though, because only those two coins were missing, and there were other gold coins in the tray. I noticed immediately when I came in that the case was unlocked, which I was very angry about. I just assumed somebody'd left it unlocked and a customer had shoplifted them, until I put the pieces together later. The same guy had gotten some coins from me on credit, too, though only about forty bucks' worth. I told him he could pay me whenever. So he walked with my two gold coins and forty bucks' worth of my other stuff.

That antique mall now has security cameras.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

• << <i>Timely. Link.

But before you get that safe, think about the implications of this discussion. (" Here's the one flaw...The one thing that can bust even a 3 TON safe....two guys with a gun to your 8 yr. old daughter's head in the middle of the night saying "Open the DAMN safe or we kill you all".) >>

That's why you have alarms and dogs and a gun.
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    That really stinks, and I hope you have luck getting your stuff back. So they didn't make off with anything but the coins? That would have me thinking about who knew I had coins. I don't keep much here valuable, and I would be more worried about someone making off with my photography equipment.
  • TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel for you man. I started a thread a few days ago that almost ended up like yours, but I happened to be home and scared the guy off.

Don't know about you, but my innocence jumped over the fence witht he criminal. Bought a new safe, outdoor lighting with motion sensors, and a new alarm system. I'm starting to think it would have been cheaper if I had been robbed!

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • The icing on the cake is I put a deposit on a giant safe last night, and made arrangements to pick it up next week.

Hmm, a bit coincidental, no?

• It just reminds me that I really need to take good jpgs of the coins I own and put the zip some place other than my harddrive. Computer will probably be taken too if it ever happens.image

<< <i>It just reminds me that I really need to take good jpgs of the coins I own and put the zip some place other than my harddrive. Computer will probably be taken too if it ever happens.image >>

You know what I find really strange in a lot of these coin burglaries is a lot of times everything else in the house gets left alone and they go straight after the coins. A couple of years ago on another forum a guy got robbed, and they left behind four very expensive bolt action hunting rifles that were on a rack right on the wall.
  • I have always had this crazy idea of locking up in a big safe the cheap stuff and keep the expensive stuff in not such an obvious target.

Sorry to hear the news but I must agree with the other member that going out and buying a safe and right before you get it, someone breaks in. It sounds very suspicious and was wondering what the rest of the board members do when they go out shopping for a safe. Do you tell them what you are putting in it? Or do you just say my personal paperwork and computer disks? After all the people that can get into the safes are the ones that know your address and most likely installed it.
  • Sorry to hear the news but I must agree with the other member that going out and buying a safe and right before you get it, someone breaks in.

Yes. It just doesn't smell right. When the original poster writes, icing on the cake is I put a deposit on a giant safe last night, the alarm bells were ringing -- loudly.

• << <i>The icing on the cake is I put a deposit on a giant safe last night, and made arrangements to pick it up next week.

Hmm, a bit coincidental, no? >>

You may be right, but we have known this guy for quite a while. As it turns out 1 my kids left the house unlocked. I also found out some alcohol came up missing about a week ago, and my wife replaced it, thinking our 16 yr old daughter, and her freinds, drank it. She didn't want me to put my feet into her back and didn't tell me about the incident. But, itseems the kid next door was seen entering our house and taking it when he left. He happens to be on probation, and, his grandfather turns out to be a collector of gold and high grade coins. So the officer that was here tonight, is going to be at his door in the morning.
    We never would have thought this of this particular kid, but it seems that he came knocking at our door a couple of days ago, my wife was,here but there was no cars in the driveway. When she answered the door he was at a loss for words. I hope it wasn't him. He and my daughter had a thing for each other about a year ago, and he seemed like an ok guy (I am really giving him some latitude here, he is into piercings and gothic bs, which I can't stand) once I took the time to talk to him a few times. I showed him some of my raw coins a long time ago, which is how we found out about his grandfathers collection. We only have 1 coin shop in the immediate area, a couple in Chico, about 30 miles north of me, and who knows how many in Sacramento, which is about 50 miles to the south. I hope the idiot who did this doesn't crack em out and just spend the quarters. What a waste!!
  • I hope the idiot who did this doesn't crack em out

you could be close on the 'crack' em out.

TIP: I was robbed - they came BACK a 2nd time. Beware.
  • TIP: I was robbed - they came BACK a 2nd time. Beware. >>

I am concerned with this. I have taken all my collection, raw and certified, and my extra stuff that I bought just to resell, and have put it into a safe at work. We don't use up much room it, so now it looks a lot better with a bunch of stuff in it.

My wife is pretty upset, a lot of her stuff got tossed around and broken. I can't sleep, hoping the sob comes back while I'm here.

Thanks all, for your comments, and sharing some of your personal tragedies. I know this could have been a lot worse, could have lost it all. I still have my family, and they're all safe (my home doesn't feel this way at the moment) and sound. And if I work some more, save some $, I can replace what taken. I don't have much hope of getting the stuff back. But you never know.

I guess there is an upside to having moderns!!

• ldhairldhair Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many victims have a hard time knowing what all is gone and
    will remember other items as time goes on.

Some thing that many don't notice are missing.
    Papers with account #s
    Pay stubs
    Bills
    Deposit slips
    Extra sets of keys.
    Remote buttons for garage doors.

Just more to think over
    Larry

• greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    TIP: I was robbed - they came BACK a 2nd time. Beware.

Neptune makes a good point. From my past days as a prosecutor (and as confirmed by several law enforcement friends), burglars/thiefs who make a successful score will frequently return for another go at it after passage of time. In your case, it sounds like they might have known what they wanted, and might of known they weren't going to encounter resistence in getting it.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Neptune makes a good point. From my past days as a prosecutor (and as confirmed by several law enforcement friends), burglars/thiefs who make a successful score will frequently return for another go at it after passage of time. In your case, it sounds like they might have known what they wanted, and might of known they weren't going to encounter resistence in getting it.

I agree, and the investigating officer said as much also. I live in a small town, and I think all my kid's freinds know I collect coins. I have spent the night going back over the areas that were involved. Near as I can figure it had to have been kids, they didn't take nearly all that they could have. What they took was taken in the order they picked it up off of my desk, shelves, or the very front of my stuffed safe. I have a lock on the door to the room that I had these in. The thief took something to pry with and broke the hasp where it was hinged. Broke the pin right out of it, and left it on the ground.

I had read a recent thread here about the sentry safes being bad for coins due to the fireproofing. That is why the thing was left open. They took about $6.00 in new nickels, a roll of mercs, liberty halves, and a roll of frankies. The older coins were just silver. They also got away with 5 slabs, my 2 previously mentioned, 2 other extra shq's, 1 in 67 and the other in 68. And a 54 frankie, ms64fbl. These were at the front of the safe, and none of my intercept boxes were opened. Not of the seal-a-mealed proof sets were bothered either. They also got about $150 face in mint rolls off of my bookcase type shelves. None of the home electronics was touched, in this room or anywhere else in the house. They seemed to be looking for some quick cash. I will be out at all the local stores this morning looking for mint rolls and possibly some silver.
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    rb7557, seems like you have a good idea as to the person who did this. One of the sad things about collecting coins is that you have to watch out who you share the hobby with. Good luck on getting your items back--------------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Also, I am not sure if its a good idea to delete the coins from your registry set, leave them in case you get notified by pcgs that someone else is trying to add them------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • (my home doesn't feel this way at the moment)

I know that feeling - it's a horrible feeling. You won't ever forget it.

After I was robbed the first time, I took all more valuable items and put in one bedroom, and locked door. When they came back - they kicked that door in and took the stuff I had put in there. I didn't collect alot of coins at the time. And YES, it took awhile for me to notice that 'other' things were gone, that I had not initially noticed.

One thing you could try (and since the thief - and everone else knows that your coins are gone) - is to start 'putting the word out' that you aren't going to collect coins anymore. Tell 'someone' (a few) that you have given it up, and sold/selling what remained. (Continue to collect, but only tell your wife - and keep in SDB.)

Since that experience, I have come up with some innovative hiding places - I am still paranoid.

• << <i>Timely. Link.

If it gets to this point, they'll probably kill everyone even if you do open the safe.

Jerry
  • 09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    Sorry for your loss. I actually got a SDB about two years ago and keep very little at home.

• I am going to have to delete them from my registry set

What about leaving them in and see if someone else tries to regester them and have PCGS follow up?
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that's terrible. image

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • I am leaving the coins in my set. It has been a tremendous help to me with slab numbers. Technically I still own them, even tho they are not in my possession, so lets see if they end up in the hands of another registry set owner. Now I have a new problem. The local sheriffs dept wants receipts for what I have reported missing. Does anybody here know how to access ebay listings from 2-3 years ago? I've tried item #'s but they are not active anymore. Most of my purchases there have been made with paypal, but the paypal log doesn't always show what the item is. Dam, I wish I had more organizational skills (or maybe just not so lazy)image
  • You may be right, but we have known this guy for quite a while....I hope it wasn't him. He and my daughter had a thing for each other......seemed like an ok guy................I also found out some alcohol came up missing about a week ago....it seems the kid next door was seen entering our house and taking it when he left....it seems that he came knocking at our door a couple of days ago, my wife was,here but there was no cars in the driveway......(I am really giving him some latitude here,...

sorry for the hachet job on the quote,...but.

don't cut this juvi *any* slack at all, look at the facts. how many times in the passed couple weeks has he knocked on the door when no one was there? how many times was it unlocked? i'm guessing two, he knew the house well enough to know where the booze was the first time. after that rush, who knows what this 'kid' was thinking, and it seems there is no love lost between him and your family. he is suspect number #1, no doubt.

peace
    imageimage
  • No slack gonna be given to this kid. He's already on probation, just waiting to catch him screwing up. The sheriff is supposed to be paying him a visit. As of yet, I haven't seen it. Then again, I think they can only search his room, but I'm not positive about that. There are other ways of dealing with this situation, but thats a different topic and not something I would comment on in a public forum.
  • Now the list of mia's is longer, my wedding ring, my wifes black hills gold, a gold neclace with a sisters charm on it that meant a lot. Neptune, you're right, we just keep remembering as we look around more, and actually "see" our house.
  • can you secretly pay another kid - someone who has access to his house/room to search it for your stuff . . . the thief probably has not had time to 'sell it' yet, and has it stashed someplace good - offering a very nice reward should he/she find anything? You also could offer a reward to information leading to the recovery of said items . . . KIDS TALK!!!!!

p.s. the cops told me that in most home robberies - it is generally someone that you know.
  • can you secretly pay another kid - someone who has access to his house/room to search it for your stuff . . . the thief probably has not had time to 'sell it' yet, and has it stashed someplace good - offering a very nice reward should he/she find anything? You also could offer a reward to information leading to the recovery of said items . . . KIDS TALK!!!!!

p.s. the cops told me that in most home robberies - it is generally someone that you know.

I've offered the reward, my kids are talking around. We'll see where that goes. I'm pretty sure its someone they know, even if it isn't the scummy kid next door!

I lost 17 unopened boxes of statehoods , 4 unopened boxes of peace nickels, 2 unopened boxes of 05 kennedy's (that might not be a bad thing after comments on another thread), I had just over $200 in bids on 5 eagles I had to cancel the auctions on, of course it was 93,94,95, & 96. There were some spots on a couple of these but I mentioned it. They had a day to go. And then there is the mi and in p's in 69. 5 of those boxes were wi quarters, the rest were a mix. It would be nice to get some of this back but I ain't holdin my breath. I had stocked up on most of this stuff a little here and a little there. It was gonna be sold at the end of the statehood series so I could make some upgrades at the last minute. Now I'm thinking about dumping it all! What really sucks here is I have a lot of fun playing on ebay, can't say I've made a lot of money, its more of a trading game. I don't seem to have the eye for 68 quarters so I have to buy em. Made plenty of 67's tho image

I don't have the heart to ask somebody to go into this kids home and look around. That puts me and an innocent party on the same level as my thief. I can't say that I've been a good guy all my life, but I have learned its a lot easier to be honest and never have to look over my shoulder. That golden rule thing has a lot of wisdom behind it. I try to live by it as much as possible.

I looked around town today for some mint wrapped rolls. I came up empty. Tomorrow I'll miss a little work and talk to michelle at w.s. coin exchange and see if she can keep an eye open for them. Have to hit the pawn shops too. And of course I'll have to keep an eye on things at ebay. Kids are pretty computer savvy these days.

I want to thank everyone here for your thoughts, concerns, and sympathy.

By the way Lord M, Max really didn't mean it!!! Don't trade him off for another holey coin, for cripes sake!!!
  • Sorry to hear it, I'm fixing to move and getting a large safe, Security camera's , Not to mention, Ozzy, 110 pounds of Old English Sheepdog, And, I Stay loaded for Bear, That 45-70 Gvmt., and Samuel Colt, and Mr. Mossberg, Shhheeettt, I feel for the poor sorry low lifeimage Mutha, The 300 grain semi-jacketed Hollow point is a nasty little item to be coming their way at about 1,650 Fps...... What's mine is mine, I've been stolen from before, and caught him, It's a shame he fell down so many times before the cop's got there....... and to make it worse, it was someone i knew, as it usually is. 9 times out of ten. if all else fails, Buy a Louisville Slugger and a Stun gun.......... I prefer the laser for night, You know the kind of red dot you can't wipe off...... get's their attention, FAST.....image P.S. I have extra MI. quarter's that would grade the same, if you PM me, I'll send you some, Free, I hate it when people pull that Cr@p.......
  • Nocerino18Nocerino18 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    These coins might have been sold to a local dealer. I would pick one of the certified coins that is missing and ask them if they have any in stock. You never know what you might find.
    Coin Superstore's Ebay Auctions
    Personal Ebay Auctions
    My Website
    ---------------------------------------------
    ALWAYS LOOKING TO PURCHASE
    TOP 100 MORGANS / HOT 50
    TOP 50 PEACE VAMS
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭
    All of the people that I work with know that I collect coins.
    I trust all of them but I don't know all of the people that they may have told.
    That is why I keep all of my coins in a safety deposit box (not fool proof I know) and let everyone know that is where they stay.
    Best of luck sorting this all out and sorry about you being ripped.

-----------

etexmike
  • Great news!!!! image Part of the coins stolen have been recovered!!!image This is totally unbelievable. This morning I took some pics over to the only dealer in the area. I gave Michelle@W.S. Coin Exchange a list of things and she was so helpful. They let me into the store before buisiness hours, took the time to hear me out, and promised to keep an eye out for the stuff.

I was image shocked when she called me back. No fooling, it was less than 2 hours later!! And she was so sly. First of all the perpetrater is the, get this, mother of some kids we know. Not the weirdo next door!!! But it was someone my wife had mentioned!!! Michelle carded her, wrote a very specific receipt, made her sign it, and paid her for the coins with a CHECK. Then the check was taken across the street to the bank and cashed, with a thumbprint of course. When Michelle called me and gave me the details, I was totally flabergasted. I called my wife, who called the sheriff, and things started happening from there. I went and paid Michelle the money she put out for the coins, and left them with her. They are now safely being held for evidence! Oh yeah, not in a county property room, but at the coin store!!! Michelle held them so the county mounties wouldn't be pawing them to death! She did this as a favor and I figure I owe her big time!!! Anyway, Brenda, the thief, who incidentally is NOT in custody, has had her house searched, with more evidence recovered there. She is supposed to report to the sheriff's dept tomorrow for a lie detector test. Hell, we made the case for them, so I'm not sure what game is being played here.

I can't believe how incredibly stupid this gal is! And at the same time I am very thankful that she is. My registry set is intact!!! I thought I would never see any of this stuff again!!!
    Wow, glad to hear this. So any idea who did the actual lifting of your coins and the break in?
  • TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool!

You did the right things, even when they might have seemed futile, and it paid off! Great ending. Thanks for letting us know.
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Un f-ing believable. This is great.

I gave Michelle@W.S. Coin Exchange

This is a person who went above and beyond. Locals should direct some business her way. Beautiful.

• Wow, glad to hear this. So any idea who did the actual lifting of your coins and the break in?

Well this Brenda and 1 of her kids was seen at our door by a neighbor. My son was out today asking around, was told this and then a statement was taken later by the cops. We will never be able to pin it on her for sure, the responding officer didn't handle the initial investigation right. No fingerprints were taken. I was totally mad about it, but who am I, just a taxpayer that got a half assed initial response. He played it off like the coins were no big deal. Just quarters! You know the attitude noncollectors have.
  • This is a person who went above and beyond. Locals should direct some business her way. Beautiful.

Yes she did, and I will be making an effort to give her more buisiness. I do most of my buying online, but she will definately be selling me more supplies and whatnot!!!
    Well, it's been proven she was selling stuff taken in a burglary, so I would be very surprised if burglary charges aren't filed on her.

Again, congrats on getting your stuff back.
  • Thank you guys for good ideas, and for the shoulder to cry on!!! I lurk more than I talk, so I've benefitted from the reading, no doubt!!
  • We will never be able to pin it on her for sure

Are you kidding? They've got her trying to pawn stolen merch. Sit her down in a police interview room with someone who knows how to question a witness. Quickly get to the questions about how she came into possession of the merchandise.

Also, don't be so sure there aren't fingerprints still present. I'm no expert, but I understand fingerprints will even survive blazing fires when conditions are right -- it's an easy way to catch arsonists. If fingerprints can survive arson, surely they can survive a few days of normal everyday activities.

• She's a cooked goose, without a doubt. Its just a matter of how it all plays out. I personally believe she did it. I had her youngest son here a while back. Frattlaw was taking donations for the young collectors giveaway that he does. I donated some stuff, got it ready to send out that night. When I woke up the next morning, the package was opened and stuff taken out. I found it in her kid's backpack. Needless to say I haven't let these people back into my home since. And I have prohibitted my kids from associating with them. But you know how that goes once I'm off to work.
  • In some countries, one of the perpetrator's hands would be removed as punishment for the burglary.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file