Home Sports Talk
Options

Poll: College b-ball fans- Will Illinois run the table and win it all?

CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
Last night against Michigan was the first time they trailed at the half and responded big time. I don't think that there is any stopping this team.

Comments

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    They might go undefeated in the regular season, but they will lose in the tourney.
  • Options
    Very little chance they will win it all. The Big 10 teams almost always choke in the NCAA. I would put my money on the Tar Heels.
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• Options
    You may want to keep in mind that the Illini most likely will playing in Indianapolis/Chicago/St.Louis = major home court advantage throughout the tourney. As far as the Big Ten choking last year they were a weak conference but before that the conference had a team in the final four for four straight years.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the Big Ten is historically alittle underrated as a conference. Someone can correct me on this, but wasn't Indiana the last team to finish the season unbeaten and win the NCAA Tourney in 1977 or so? I am sure UCLA must have finished undefeated during the John Wooden era and won the tourney as well.

I like Illinois and would like them to finish the season undefeated and win the tourney. Earlier in the season they dominated and now they seem to be fading down to the level of their competition which is very dangerous because they are the target... and they currently are a big target... That I think is the biggest problem.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    So much for the poll results thus far... GO ILLINI

• Options
    coinkat,
    You are correct about Indiana being the last in 1976, hopefully Illinois duplicates the feat.
  • Options
    Illinois was ranked #1 at one point during the 1951-52 season and made it to the final four. They were #1 in the 1988-89 season and made it to the final four. They have been #1 for the longest stretch in school history (I think...) this year so hopefully... it could happen.

• Options
    In light of today's win against Iowa, it would be great to hear Illinois Loyalty at this time...image

• Options
    Even though they didn't have their A-Game today they pulled it out. In almost everygame that has been close they have owned the last five minutes.... 27 and counting.
  • Options
    "We're loyal to you Illinois......" - just for coinkat.

I was kind of hoping they might lose before the Big 10 tourney, but I have felt better because they have won games they should have lost and thats always a good sign of a champ.

I think they have just as good a chance as anyone for going all the way. They just need to avoid the flukey upset team in the second or third round and especially avoid a DePaul choke in the first round.
  • Options
    thanks Cubfan... and how great it is to be a Cubfan...image

• Options
    I agree with Axtell, they may make it through the regular season undefeated but they will go down during the Tourney.
    Currently collecting

Vintage golf, 1981-82 Donruss golf, and a few other odds and ends.

• Options
    Update from Champaign... Illinois 84 Northwestern 48

• Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    They got the loss out of the way. They're set to run the table now.
  • Options
    I saw part of the game. They did not shoot that well and they missed too many from the LINE. I imagine that NC will move to number 1. They are still having a great season.

• Options
    Carolina has 3 losses, no way should they take over #1.
  • Options
    I think they will lose their last regular season game by 1 point.....
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Just for the record, only 3 of us had voted saying Illinois would lose in the regular season as of Sunday. It's funny how the total has more than doubled since it happened.

I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    29-1 is still impressive and 48 voting memebers seemed to think so. I like being wrong with respect to NC MOVING TO #1