Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1.31.05 California State Quarter - first day of issue.

My better half went down to the California State Historical Museum/Archives today around lunch time. The Museum was selling the 'first day of issue' packaging and availing uncirculated rolls of quarters; they won't be in circulation for a few weeks yet. Many others had the same purpose, as the line just to get in the building was two and a half blocks long and took well over an hour. Not sure how long the line was once in the Museum. Apparently the school children had first dibs and were let in early. Some could be heard leaving with their quarry and pronouncing "glad I don't have to wait in that line" (little brats).

Personally, I laugh to myself whenever I see the quarter design. The California Condor flying over Half Dome is a vision only the politicians could love - Yosemite Valley is not habitat for the Condor (though it was habitat for John Muir. If you know where to look you might see traces of the sawmill he established there).

When I first heard about the state quarters program, in early 1999, I thought what a boon it would prove to what appeared a moribund market at the time, and I began buying coins. Sure enough, millions of new collectors - both new and young - have joined the hobby and coin collecting has only increased my innate interest in metals.

But today, I started to think of selling (that portion that should be sold and keeping that portion that should be kept).

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Interesting story, thanks for sharing, andimage
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭

<< <i>pronouncing "glad I don't have to wait in that line" (little brats). >>

image Hahahahaha. Yeah kids can be cruel. Should have retorted with "Im glad im not stupid enough to believe in santa"

Anyway, how many rolls did you get?

Welcome to the boards
    Beware of the flying monkeys!
    Aerospace Structures Engineer
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards.
  • Options
    PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    I seriously can't wait til I get my first one. It will definitely have to go in the old Dansco type album under "statehood quarter"
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    I don't think the design is trying to imply a condor is in Yosemite.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think the design is trying to imply a condor is in Yosemite. >>

Maybe not, but I think that the California quarter is just ok. The KANSAS one SUCKS! It's just like kansas, nothing there!!
  • Options
    Muir's gone (and so is the rest of the country in that respect). Regardless, welcome to the forum! The state quarters, like most of our coins, represent the ideal - and that's great. Their production (and the Mint's public relations budget) have brought many to interest themselves in U.S. coin collecting. image
  • Options
    Personally, I am looking forward to owning both California and Kansas quarters in DCAM Silver versions

I kinda dread that Idaho (my current home state for 20+ years) will end up with an outline of the state, a potato and a star somewhere near Boise (shooting towards SLC )image
  • Options
    The Condor use to fly over Yosemite, even as far north as northern Oregon. Market hunters killed off the Tule elk during the gold rush, damns killed the salmon and the condor has been on the decline since. So the picture, although not accurate in todays world is accurate in a historical setting. Yosemite would be great condor country, it is one of the few places with enough game to provide carrion for the condors to feed on. The American river use to have great salmon runs which would provide nearly year round food. but alas progress has changed all that.
  • Options
    Is it a condor? I thought it was a bald eagle.
  • Options
    I kinda dread that Idaho (my current home state for 20+ years) will end up with an outline of the state, a potato and a star somewhere near Boise (shooting towards SLC )image >>

At least make the potato a big one, like they used to sell when I was kid. Not those little itty bitty wannabees they sell here in california. The big baking ones sell for a 100% premium hereimage

I like the Ca design. I didn't make the drive to Sacramento to get some tho. Will have to wait on the mint to get them to me.
  • Options

<< <i>Is it a condor? I thought it was a bald eagle. >>

From the Mint's website:

<< <i>The reverse design on the new quarter depicts naturalist and conservationist John Muir admiring Yosemite Valley’s Half Dome. Soaring amid the scene is a California condor. The coin bears the inscriptions “California,” “John Muir,” “Yosemite Valley” and “1850.” >>

Link

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    As an avid backpacker and nature lover, I'm really glad that they at least attempted to portray California's true beauty (Yosemite and many other amazing Natural Parks and wildlife areas throughout the state). Regardless if it was accurate, and even with the political 'drama' that went on behind the design, I believe that it did capture that essence.
  • Options
    Douglas

My stepfather was a ranger for the CA State Park System. I have been very fortunate to have been able to see a lot of this state's natural beauty. Its nice to see that others appreciate it also. I think the quarter design is nice, and am thankful the gov didn't opt for a hollywood sign, golden gate bridge, or some other manmade symbol to represent the state.
  • Options
    California State Quarter Redux

Unfortunately, because the line was so long, I have no shiny CA state quarters today.

Turns out:
    • The line was long because governor Arnie was handing out rolls and the USMint director was signing the rolls.
    • The schoolchildren got in early because Arnie threw a party and invited them in before the open house.

Read more about the shindig here:
    http://www.sacbee.com/content/politics/ca/story/12208017p-13072284c.html

The Condor was extirpated from Yosemite Valley, like a number of other species.
    The re-introduction program has actually gone better than a number of avian biologists had expected. The release site nearest to Yosemite Valley is actually across the Central Valley at Pinnacles National Monument.

Although the Condor once flew over Half Dome, and the rest of the continent, the likelihood of re-introduction today is not quite as favorable. Reintroduction programs require the best CURRECT habitat, not the best historic one. For example, one other species no longer in CA native habitat ranges, the Grizzly Bear, could be re-established , However, the likely re-establishment would be within the Sierra Nevada, not the original habitat of the Great Central Valley. Another example is the reintroduction of the Bighorn sheep in the eastern Sierra, which is going very poorly.

Read more about the condor here (large file):
    http://ecos.fws.gov/docs/recovery_plans/1996/960425.pdf

For more than you ever wanted to know about the Ca quarter design issue (and some interesting funnies) start here:

http://www.johnmuir.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=31&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15&sid=732fa65fdc2784b0522a651730d50bca

and here

http://homepage.mac.com/voidraw/caquarter.html

The state quarter design has deep yet subtle environmental politics running throughout, likely lost on most users of pocket change. The condor wasn’t picked for its great beauty.

Thanks for the welcome; I lurked off and on for a few years...
  • Options
    rb7557,
    I agree with you. I was raised by my grandfather who was a park ranger. I live with my grandparents seven miles deep in a redwood forest called Mill Creek Campground near Crescent City, CA.
    Even though I loved living near the sea, I’m glad that the designer didn’t go with a stereotypical “beach” scene with the Golden Gate as a back drop. They also didn’t throw in a miner surrounded by a bunch of sheep; or a bohemian hugging a tree. I’ll stop listing the stereotypes that rub me the wrong way and say that I like the California state quarter.
    imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file