Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ebay 1834 $5 gold

mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

Comments

• Options
    Uncertified, I won't even spend more than 3 seconds on that auction.
  • Options
    Looks like a cast fake but then again I don't know the series.
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    Looks like a cast coin and I wouldn't touch this one either.
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    I agree that it looks very cast and could very well be a fake.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    I agree it looks like a cast fake, and not a very good one at that.
  • Options
    Since it doesn't have excessive wear, weight should be very close to 129 grains, if genuine. If a casting, it will be far below this weight, since it will be undersize and the high likelhood that wrong Au-Ag-Cu mixture was used. That is, wrong if any attempt at all was made to get the alloy "right" prior to casting.

What is "far below?" I would say that if a lightly worn piece claimed to be a genuine 1834 $5 doesn't weigh at least 98.5% of 129 grains, or 127.06 grains, it should definitely be suspected as fake. All new mint-made $5 gold from 1834, starting with the Classic head type, and through the Indians to 1929, weighed 129 grains.

Anyone with additional information or insight regarding weight of genuine gold v. fake, feel free to contribute.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    If by some chance it is real then it is a very heavily cleaned coin. I would say Ef details net VF 30... Without out it being certified, and with such bad pics I wouldn't touch it with that starting price... I might have risked about $100 as a gamble that the coin was real against having to sell it as melt for poco bucks and a loss. But then I'm a little bit of a gambler...
    "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - William Faulkner
    NoEbayAuctionsForNow
  • Options
    RUN----don't walk
    A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certainly looks like a cast counterfeit to me.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Pretty unanimous. I'd stay away from raw gold on eBay regardless of how the coin looked. But this one looks very much like a cast fake.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharpness grade is only Fine-12 or so. In addition to that at best it has been "sweated" (put in bag with other gold coins and shaken up so that small chunks of gold were removed from it. At worst it is a cast counterfeit.

Don't even bother with this. The starting bid to "loony tunes" regardless of what is wrong with this coin or fake. If the coin is real it's worth no more than $150 to $180 tops.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    I misspoke a bit in my last post here on weight. Mint weight tolerance for $5 gold made from 1834 to 1929 is plus-minus .25 grains.That means before a "new" $5 gold piece could escape from the mint it must have weighed between 129.25 and 128.75 grains. Substitute "moderately worn" for "lightly worn" in my sentence.

Performed an interesting, at least to me, experiment yesterday. I weighed six very well-worn, presumably genuine 1914 Lincolns after retrieving them from my grandson's piggy bank to which I am a regular contributor, thinking they would all be detectibly underweight because of wear. Found that two of them actually weighed more than 48 grains (the mint standard weight for bronze small cents) by over 1 grain, one was right at 48 grains and the other three were under 48 grains by a grain or so.

Mint weight tolerance for new bronze small cents was plus-minus two grains, or eight times the tolerance for $1, $2-1/2, $3, and $5 gold, so my findings regarding the weight of my grandson's 1914 Lincolns are not all that remarkable.

No "D" was found on these either, on second inspection, so back into the piggy bank they go. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file